Orca stops responding

Orca bug reports go here, and only here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Orca stops responding

Postby mbrazil » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:27 am

Orca regularly stops responding for a period of time (30 seconds to a minute) fairly often. This happens most frequently when I switch over to Orca after using another app when Orca has been left running in the background, but it happens when I'm actively using it too. During these non-responsive periods, there is either no response to mouse clicks anywhere in the app, or if I click on anything at all in the Orca window, I get a busy cursor, the toolbars go blank, and all I can do is wait until it gets done doing whatever it's doing and starts responding again.
mbrazil
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Orca stops responding

Post Reply #1 by mathman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 pm

I have had a similar problem. Usually I can fix it by switching to my home page by clicking on the home icon.
mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Windows Version: 7 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2014 utimate latest
Default engine: IE 9
IE Version: IE9
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

Post Reply #2 by Jasmine » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:12 am

Had you checked in the task manager the memory Orca took up that moment and how much memory was left in all?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com
Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post Reply #3 by mbrazil » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Jasmine wrote:Had you checked in the task manager the memory Orca took up that moment and how much memory was left in all?

If you're asking how much system memory remains available at the times the pauses occur, there's usually only about a 25 - 30 percent memory load. I've got 4 GB in the system, of which Win XP SP3 can use a bit over 3.5 GB, so even when Orca is using half a GB or so, there's plenty left available. Total memory in use at these times including the OS and all other running processes runs a bit over 1 GB. leaving at least 2.5 GB free.
mbrazil
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post Reply #4 by mbrazil » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 pm

mathman wrote:I have had a similar problem. Usually I can fix it by switching to my home page by clicking on the home icon.

I can't switch to the home page, because Orca is totally non-responsive at these times. It ignores all commands and mouse clicks until it comes back from whatever it's doing. If I click the close (X) button, I get the windows dialog saying it's not responding and offering to close it. If I just wait it out, it returns to normal after awhile.
mbrazil
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Return to Orca Browser Bug Reports