Page 1 of 1

Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 am
by mbrazil
I usually leave Orca running with several open tabs as long as my computer is on. Over time, Orca consumes more and more memory with the same tabs open and no user activity. Most of the time, I can reclaim some of the memory with CleanMem, but Orca's usage creeps back up fairly quickly. After a while, CleanMem has no effect on Orca, and the only thing I can do to get it working "properly" again is to close and reopen Orca.

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:10 am
by Jasmine
Hi, could you provide the urls of these sites? I suppose not all sites causing this problem~

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:59 pm
by mbrazil
Jasmine wrote:Hi, could you provide the urls of these sites? I suppose not all sites causing this problem~
Actually it doesn't seem to matter which sites. After a while, the memory usage just climbs, and nothing seems to fix the problem except a restart of Orca. Closing some tabs does reduce the memory usage somewhat, but even closing most of the open tabs doesn't release a large chunk of the memory.

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:22 am
by Jasmine
That's a problem. Avant Browser will include gecko engine in the future. By then the memory leak can be resolved.For the moment the author has no plan to upgrade Orca.

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 pm
by twins
That is VERY SAD news, 'no plans to upgrade Ocra'. Ocra is good and with the bugs ironed out it would be the best. What might be the timescale for Avast to have the gecko engine?

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:58 pm
by mbrazil
Jasmine wrote:That's a problem. Avant Browser will include gecko engine in the future. By then the memory leak can be resolved.For the moment the author has no plan to upgrade Orca.
The following was published on slashdot on 06/11/11:

darthcamaro writes "If you're like a lot of Firefox 4 users out there,
you've probably noticed that Firefox has a serious memory problem — it
uses more than it really should. At long last, Mozilla developers are
finally [0]set to take this issue seriously with a [1]dedicated team
called MemShrink that are focused on the problem. 'It's pretty clear by
now that [2]this is a much bigger problem than any one person can likely
tackle,' Mozilla Developer Johnny Stenback said."

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:16 pm
by Kand.in.Sky
twins wrote:That is VERY SAD news, 'no plans to upgrade Ocra'. Ocra is good and with the bugs ironed out it would be the best. What might be the timescale for Avast to have the gecko engine?
After a few weeks using AVANT with the gecko engine i agree, ORCA was simply the best.
how pitty there will be no more updates... :-(

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:30 am
by AXEMAN
Mike was it not you that said orca should be removed as it is nolonger supported and posses a security risk. :?: :?: :?:

Re: Orca has a memory leak

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:06 am
by mbrazil
AXEMAN wrote:Mike was it not you that said orca should be removed as it is nolonger supported and posses a security risk. :?: :?: :?:
Yep, that was me.