URL bar: auto-complete takes a long time

Orca bug reports go here, and only here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 10.0.9200.16635 64bit
Skin: Aero Glass

URL bar: auto-complete takes a long time

Post by Kryz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:06 pm

When typing something in the URL bar, I sometimes use the auto-complete function, because during some periods you visit a website quite often, but not enough to bookmark them. In Orca however, the autocompletion takes a long time, and this time is extended by the amount of characters you type: 1 character is normal speed (but useless), 2 characters is a bit slower but acceptable, and from 5 characters onwards it takes multiple seconds for the auto-completion to pop up the right URL's.

Another thing: I don't understand the order of the auto-completion. My theory: eventhough you may sometimes type a part of a word / URL, you will almost always type the beginning of the word or URL. Example:

I'm trying to go to www.ordinaopen.com. I try to avoid typing the www part, so I start with ord... The top result today was actually:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kryz/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/SP9FUGB1/D__DOCUME~1_ROY~1.STE_MYDOCU~1_ROYROE~1_KPNGLA~2_AVERAG~1_VORDER~1%5B1%5D.HTM

Now if I would have wanted that result, I would have probably searched in a different way. ;) Isn't there a better algorithm to present you with your options?

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: URL bar: auto-complete takes a long time

Post by AXEMAN » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello Kryz the link you posted above works fine for me are you still having the problem????.It is not slow for me.Can anyone confirm this :)

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Avant's / Orca's auto-complete algorithm does indeed need some improvement. I have noticed both reported behaviours in both browsers. It is most evident when there are lot of entries in the browser's history.

Although, it has improved in recent builds. Kryz, your profile states that you are using v1.1 build 3, but the latest version is build 7. If you have not updated yet, I recommend doing so.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:59 am

AXEMAN wrote:Hello Kryz the link you posted above works fine for me are you still having the problem????.It is not slow for me.Can anyone confirm this :)
Hi Axeman, I don't think you understood the problem fully. ;) The link works fine, that's not the issue.
kudos wrote:Avant's / Orca's auto-complete algorithm does indeed need some improvement. I have noticed both reported behaviours in both browsers. It is most evident when there are lot of entries in the browser's history.

Although, it has improved in recent builds. Kryz, your profile states that you are using v1.1 build 3, but the latest version is build 7. If you have not updated yet, I recommend doing so.
Hmm, that's the second time I report a bug and you have to tell me there's a new version out. ;) Why doesn't the notifier tell me there is a new version? I indeed have 1.1 b3, and check version tells me this is the latest one...

I'll upgrade and report back.

Edit: just upgraded. Performance is still the same. Short words used for auto-completion perform pretty good, longer words take a very long time.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:04 am

Kryz wrote:Hmm, that's the second time I report a bug and you have to tell me there's a new version out. ;) Why doesn't the notifier tell me there is a new version? I indeed have 1.1 b3, and check version tells me this is the latest one...
Sorry, I'm just the messenger - nag Jasmine/Anderson to update the server ;-)
Kryz wrote:Edit: just upgraded. Performance is still the same. Short words used for auto-completion perform pretty good, longer words take a very long time.
I hope that the forthcoming Avant v12 (and hence the corresponding Orca release) improves it. There have been similar requests (ie here and here) to improve this feature.

Upgrading to IE8 may help - since certain IE dll's are used to implement this feature. BTW have you compared the autocomplete with Avant?

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:23 pm

Kryz wrote:Hmm, that's the second time I report a bug and you have to tell me there's a new version out. ;) Why doesn't the notifier tell me there is a new version?
You can also let the forum notify you,
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 36&t=23485

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:34 pm

You are correct Kryz i did missunderstand sorry about that bud :)

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:44 am

Kryz wrote:Hmm, that's the second time I report a bug and you have to tell me there's a new version out. Why doesn't the notifier tell me there is a new version? I indeed have 1.1 b3, and check version tells me this is the latest one...
Really feel sorry. Generally we'll wait a couple of days to upgrade the version check number if nobody reports there exist big bugs. However,unfortunately a series of builds come out with obvious bugs occasionally, as we don't hope them get to too many users, the developer have to release new versions and accordingly delay more to modify it.
kudos wrote:Avant's / Orca's auto-complete algorithm does indeed need some improvement. I have noticed both reported behaviours in both browsers. It is most evident when there are lot of entries in the browser's history.
I'll mention both old problems to Anderson.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:25 pm

This problem is getting progressively worse for me. This is probably because I have quite a large history of visited websites by now. In essence the whole visited sites history with auto-completion functionality has been rendered useless, because it takes longer to wait for the suggested links to appear than to simply type them out completely. A fix for this would be really appreciated.

Apparently this problem exists in both Orca and AvantBrowser. My history in AB is next to nothing though, so I can't really say for sure.

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 pm

Small bump: this is getting worse by the day. Is there any expected solution?

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 pm

There has been no feedback from the development team yet. Do you really need your history? Clearing it will speed it up.

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:53 pm

kudos wrote:There has been no feedback from the development team yet. Do you really need your history? Clearing it will speed it up.
Let me apologize for the sarcasm that's going to follow, but: is that what the feature is for? ;)

To clarify: if you just type an address and don't need the history, the speed-problem is not an issue, since it doesn't stop you from typing. The browser doesn't become slow, it only takes ages for the history to pop up. In other words: I only experience this problem when I want to use the feature. Therefor, if I were to empty the history, my problem wouldn't be that it's slow, but that the history isn't there anymore. ;)

Sidenote: I'm aware you're trying to help, don't take it personally. I'm just a tad annoyed by the issue, and it probably shows in my posts here.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:05 pm

Don't worry, I didn't take it personally, and I guess that you have a right to be annoyed - it's just that I'm afraid that it was the only answer that I could offer from a support point of view. Let's hope that the new framework for Avant v12 and Orca v2 rectifies this issue.

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 pm

kudos wrote:Let's hope that the new framework for Avant v12 and Orca v2 rectifies this issue.
Any idea what the status on this is? As I said in another thread, it's been a while since the last update to Orca. And if there is an update, can we expect this issue to be solved?

Kryz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kryz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:14 am

I've switched to AvantBrowser Ultimate 2012, and this issue does not occur in this version.