Flash movies context menu

Resolved Orca Help issues and Bug Reports can be found here. Orca is a legacy browser that is no longer supported.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Flash movies context menu

Post by AlvinPing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am

Hmm... I just realized I'm no longer able to right click flash objects anymore! (context menu does not appear). Is this a related problem? Can anyone confirm?
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Floating toolbar and Flash movies

Post by kudos » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:23 am

AlvinPing wrote:Hmm... I just realized I'm no longer able to right click flash objects anymore! (context menu does not appear). Is this a related problem? Can anyone confirm?
Cannot confirm, the right-click menu is generated by the Adobe Flash plugin itself, is it installed correctly?

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Floating toolbar and Flash movies

Post by AlvinPing » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:47 pm

kudos wrote:
AlvinPing wrote:Hmm... I just realized I'm no longer able to right click flash objects anymore! (context menu does not appear). Is this a related problem? Can anyone confirm?
Cannot confirm, the right-click menu is generated by the Adobe Flash plugin itself, is it installed correctly?
Odd. I tried reinstalling Flash (ver. 10.0.22.87) to no avail. Oddly, my laptop is exhibiting this same problem (same Flash build, same Orca build). I opened Avant to see if it was an issue with this version of Flash, but it too is running 10.0.22.87, and the context menu works fine (items like Zoom In, Zoom Out, Show All, Quality, Settings, etc.). I'll dig deeper...
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Flash movies context menu

Post by kudos » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Does it occur on all Flash movies? Please post an example URL.
Websites can disable the context-menu with code. You should be able to disable that ability:

- go to about:config
- change value of dom.event.contextmenu.enabled to false

You can also check plugin status by going to about:plugins

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Sun May 03, 2009 5:13 am

kudos wrote:Does it occur on all Flash movies? Please post an example URL.
Websites can disable the context-menu with code. You should be able to disable that ability:

- go to about:config
- change value of dom.event.contextmenu.enabled to false

You can also check plugin status by going to about:plugins
Seems to occur on all Flash movies, ads, and animations, on any website. After applying the dom.event config change, now instead of no context menu, the standard context menu (the one that comes up when you right click anywhere else on the page) pops up instead.

Is there a way to completely uninstall Flash, then reinstall it? All I see are options to upgrade/repair it, which doesn't seem to be working for me :(
-Alvin

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Sun May 03, 2009 6:20 pm

I uninstalled Flash via Windows Add/Remove Programs (then I launched Orca to verify, and yes it told me the plugin was missing). Then I downloaded the Flash installer, ran it, and re-launched Orca. Flash worked again, but the context menu was still broken. Maybe it's a problem with this version? kudos, what version are you running
-Alvin

kimmig2001
Windows Version: XP Pro
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Post by kimmig2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 7:09 am

AlvinPing wrote:I uninstalled Flash via Windows Add/Remove Programs (then I launched Orca to verify, and yes it told me the plugin was missing). Then I downloaded the Flash installer, ran it, and re-launched Orca. Flash worked again, but the context menu was still broken. Maybe it's a problem with this version? kudos, what version are you running
I had started a thread about this also here:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 36#p157936

And Alvin was kind enough to point me in this direction! Thanks AlvinPing! :thumbup:

I have had the exact same problem with Flash versions 9 & 10. I have 10 other browsers on this PC and do not have this issue with any other browser at all. I tried them all to make sure it was only Orca having the problem right clicking on Flash.

I need to be able to change the flash settings while playing a particular game and Orca does nothing when I right click on the flash game so I have no options. Like I said, I have no problems at all with this issue using any other browser, including Avant.

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer!! :clap:

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Tue May 05, 2009 8:11 am

Hmm... odd. In my Orca plugins folder, there is no trace of an installed Flash plugin (no NPSWF32.dll, etc)! And yet, Flash continues to function. Where is it installed, and how is Orca referencing it?
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue May 05, 2009 8:31 am

Hers is a link to the current Adobe Flash extension:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... er-win.xpi

Do not install it! Right click the link and save it as a file on your desktop.
It is a zip file (although it's extension is xpi) so open it with your favourite unzipper.
Extract flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll to your Orca\plugins folder.
- Example: C:\Program Files\Orca Browser\Plugins\
Restart Orca and see if it works...

kimmig2001

Post by kimmig2001 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:56 pm

AlvinPing wrote:Hmm... odd. In my Orca plugins folder, there is no trace of an installed Flash plugin (no NPSWF32.dll, etc)! And yet, Flash continues to function. Where is it installed, and how is Orca referencing it?
The reason your browsers that are based on Mozilla's engine will work without the actual plugin is because in the plugins folder should be a Mozilla Default Plug-in named: npnul32.dll and that file is referencing all of the default pluggins from Mozilla. :)

As long as npnul32.dll is in your plugins folder, you shouldn't need the acutal NPSWF32.dll file.

kimmig2001

Post by kimmig2001 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 am

kudos wrote:Hers is a link to the current Adobe Flash extension:

http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashpl ... er-win.xpi

Do not install it! Right click the link and save it as a file on your desktop.
It is a zip file (although it's extension is xpi) so open it with your favourite unzipper.
Extract flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll to your Orca\plugins folder.
- Example: C:\Program Files\Orca Browser\Plugins\
Thank you so much for your efforts in this issue, I really appreciate all your time trying to help us with this. Unfortunately, this hopeful solution didn't help or change a thing. :cry:

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Wed May 06, 2009 12:56 am

kudos wrote:Extract flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll to your Orca\plugins folder. - Example: C:\Program Files\Orca Browser\Plugins\
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, like kimmig, this did not resolve the issue.
The reason your browsers that are based on Mozilla's engine will work without the actual plugin is because in the plugins folder should be a Mozilla Default Plug-in named: npnul32.dll and that file is referencing all of the default pluggins from Mozilla. :)As long as npnul32.dll is in your plugins folder, you shouldn't need the acutal NPSWF32.dll file.
I see! But here's something odd: I don't actually have a full version of Firefox installed on this computer! The only other Mozilla browser I have is an installation of FF Portable, and I know for a fact that npnul32.dll is not referencing FF Portable's NPSWF32.dll, as this version test shows FF Portable to be running Flash 9. That same page in Orca, however, shows that I am running 10.0.22.87.

I did a full hard drive search for any more instances of NPSWF32.dll, and the only other one is in a folder for Adobe Bridge CS3 - and that one too is Flash 9. :?:
-Alvin

kimmig2001

Post by kimmig2001 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:27 am

AlvinPing wrote:
kudos wrote:Extract flashplayer.xpt and NPSWF32.dll to your Orca\plugins folder. - Example: C:\Program Files\Orca Browser\Plugins\
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, like kimmig, this did not resolve the issue.
The reason your browsers that are based on Mozilla's engine will work without the actual plugin is because in the plugins folder should be a Mozilla Default Plug-in named: npnul32.dll and that file is referencing all of the default pluggins from Mozilla. :)As long as npnul32.dll is in your plugins folder, you shouldn't need the acutal NPSWF32.dll file.
I see! But here's something odd: I don't actually have a full version of Firefox installed on this computer! The only other Mozilla browser I have is an installation of FF Portable, and I know for a fact that npnul32.dll is not referencing FF Portable's NPSWF32.dll, as this version test shows FF Portable to be running Flash 9. That same page in Orca, however, shows that I am running 10.0.22.87.

I did a full hard drive search for any more instances of NPSWF32.dll, and the only other one is in a folder for Adobe Bridge CS3 - and that one too is Flash 9. :?:

Now that Alvin, IS quite interesting!! lol :lol:

Do yourself a favor hon, beware of upgrading flash to v. 10! Many, MANY people are getting constant browser crashes on ALL their browsers from the v. 10 Flash. I reverted back to v. 9 and it solved that problem. The issue is all over google.

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Wed May 06, 2009 4:21 am

Heh, thanks. Fortunately, I haven't really gotten many browser crashes (the few that I have had I cannot tie directly to Flash), but I have noticed that my CPU use will shoot up to around 80-100% on certain animations/ads that don't even look all that complex, after I upgraded to Flash 10. It doesn't really interfere that much with browsing, so I'm hoping things will be ironed out within a few updates.

It's still really odd that the context menu thing is still an issue for us. I hope it's just a specific problem with 10.0.22.87, and will be glad if it's fixed on the next release!!
-Alvin

kimmig2001

Post by kimmig2001 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:59 am

AlvinPing wrote:Heh, thanks. Fortunately, I haven't really gotten many browser crashes (the few that I have had I cannot tie directly to Flash), but I have noticed that my CPU use will shoot up to around 80-100% on certain animations/ads that don't even look all that complex, after I upgraded to Flash 10. It doesn't really interfere that much with browsing, so I'm hoping things will be ironed out within a few updates.

It's still really odd that the context menu thing is still an issue for us. I hope it's just a specific problem with 10.0.22.87, and will be glad if it's fixed on the next release!!
Yeah, I really don't get it either why this is happening and I really hope [-o< it does get straightened out sooner or later (preferably sooner) lol :shifty:

I was very eager to try out Orca, because Avant was my very favorite browser... but because it is based off of IE's engine :roll: (eewww) I won't use it anymore.

So when I found Orca, being based off of Mozilla's engine, I was doing the happy dance!! :thumbup:

But without having that context menu for flash, it would be useless for me for what I wanted it for.
*puts on best pout* lol

:D But Avlin, it has really been fun chatting with you at at least!! *smiles* You are a very pleasant person to chat with.

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Thu May 07, 2009 2:21 am

lol thanks, nice chatting with you too :)

I guess in the meantime, if you need the context menu for your games, unfortunately it looks like you'll have to use a different browser until this gets sorted out!
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Thu May 07, 2009 12:27 pm

I am still unable to replicate this problem - can you perform a simple test:

- Download and install Orca Portable version to a different folder
- Follow my instructions above to install Flash to it
- Launch Orca portable and check if the problem exists there

To go back to your existing installation, you will need to register a file:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 "c:\program files\orca browser\mozx.dll"
Please report back your findings.

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Following you steps, the problem does exist in Orca Portable, as well.
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sat May 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks for testing. In the page about:plugins you should get detailed plugin information. Under "Shockwave Flash" it should give you the full location of the Flash plugin that is being used. Have you tried to delete that one? Also, what else do you have listed on that page?

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm not seeing the location of where the plugins are installed - just a filename. Here's a link to a PDF (I couldn't save it as HTML for some reason) of the about:plugins page for you to take a look at:

http://download.yousendit.com/U0d5Q3R6Y1NZY1NGa1E9PQ
-Alvin