Strange characters

Requests for help with Orca Browser go here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Candy
Windows Version: XP Home
Avant Version: n/a
IE Version: 8

Strange characters

Post by Candy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Lately my Orca 1.2.6 has been displaying the following characters. 讓我們得到喝和性交以兔子方式 What on earth are they?
We don't stop playing when we get old...we get old when we stop playing.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Re: Strange characters

Post by kudos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:09 pm

They are Chinese characters. FYI, it translates to: "Let's get drunk and have sex with rabbit way"

Where are they displayed? Can you post a screenshot.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Candy

Post by Candy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm

kudos wrote:They are Chinese characters. FYI, it translates to: "Let's get drunk and have sex with rabbit way"

Where are they displayed? Can you post a screenshot.
These specific ones were displayed on a furom I belong to but they have appeared on several other web pages of which I don't have a screenshot of. The iamge of the one I do have is too wide so here's the link to it. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/2 ... enshot.jpg

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Just cut and paste those characters into http://www.google.com/translate if you really want to know what they mean, but judging by your screenshot there is nothing to worry about - they're intentional.

The reason that they are displaying as strange boxes and not correct Chinese (Mandarin) characters is because you have not installed support for them in your installation of WinXP.

Here's how:
- Click Start >> Control Panel.
- Select the Date, Time, Regional and Language Options category, then click Regional and Language Options.
- On the Languages tab, select the checkbox lableled Install files for East Asian languages.
- Click OK when a dialog box appears informing you of the storage requirements for the language files (230 MB).
- Click OK on the Languages tab.
- Another dialog box appears requesting a Windows XP installation disk or network share location where the language support files are located. Insert a Windows XP installation CD or browse to the appropriate network location, and click OK. Microsoft Windows installs the necessary files and prompts for you to restart the computer.
- Click Yes to restart the computer.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Candy

Post by Candy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

kudos wrote:Just cut and paste those characters into http://www.google.com/translate if you really want to know what they mean, but judging by your screenshot there is nothing to worry about - they're intentional.

The reason that they are displaying as strange boxes and not correct Chinese (Mandarin) characters is because you have not installed support for them in your installation of WinXP.

Here's how:
- Click Start >> Control Panel.
- Select the Date, Time, Regional and Language Options category, then click Regional and Language Options.
- On the Languages tab, select the checkbox lableled Install files for East Asian languages.
- Click OK when a dialog box appears informing you of the storage requirements for the language files (230 MB).
- Click OK on the Languages tab.
- Another dialog box appears requesting a Windows XP installation disk or network share location where the language support files are located. Insert a Windows XP installation CD or browse to the appropriate network location, and click OK. Microsoft Windows installs the necessary files and prompts for you to restart the computer.
- Click Yes to restart the computer.
Thank you so much. At least I know it's not something wrong with my computer or Orca.