Computer sounds when using Orca

Requests for help with Orca Browser go here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

cork1958
Windows Version: XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: IE8.0.6001.18702

Computer sounds when using Orca

Post by cork1958 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 am

I have my sounds set to chime when something starts up and to ding when something closes.

I'm going nuts from all the chiming and dinging this thing (Orca) is doing. What the heck is it doing in the background to make all those sounds?

Thank you

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Computer sounds when using Orca

Post by AlvinPing » Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 am

Have you tried disabling the download manager windows?
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Wed May 20, 2009 8:42 am

Looks like you must have sounds set for the following Windows events: "Open program" and "Close program".

When Avant/Orca goes to a new page, it is loaded in a new hidden process and upon completion the process is closed and the data is transferred to the main program.

Windows produces notification sounds for these hidden process windows. You can confirm this with Process Explorer or a similar real-time task manager.

As far as I know, there is no way to tell Windows to exclude/ignore specific programs/applications - maybe someone else does...

I have confirmed this with both Avant and Orca on Windows XP.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

cork1958

Post by cork1958 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am

Hey Kudos,
That is exactly what I said in the first sentence of my original post:
"Looks like you must have sounds set for the following Windows events: "Open program" and "Close program".

Your explanation sounds exactly right, I guess, which is what I was figuring. Just wanted to double check.

Kudos, I mean thanks!!

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Sat May 23, 2009 11:05 pm

cork1958, I have always retained the default Windows control panel Sounds setting, with no sound for Open Program or Close Program, and it suits me fine.

I'm wondering what benefit it is for you to have sounds set on for these two common events. It would drive me crazy even if I never used Avant or Orca browsers!

If you still want these two notifications then why not just set these two events to softer, less intrusive sounds?
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sun May 24, 2009 6:37 am

Some people like having sounds for Open Program and Close Program. And whether the sound is louder or softer or not, one expects them to happen at the "correct" times, that is, when programs are opened and closed.

The fact that Avant and Orca open and close hidden processes which are separate programs (which unfortunately triggers the open/close program sounds), indicates and fundamentally flawed and bad design that uses opened and closed hidden programs to load and send the webpage data to the main program.

Even without open/close program sounds, this sounds fundamentally wrong and should probably be fixed.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sun May 24, 2009 6:50 pm

Just because a program launches secondary processes does not mean it's fundamentally wrong. It's an easy way to off load functions that can happen in parallel so that it doesn't slow or freeze the main interface.

One good example of this is Google Chrome. Different processes are opened for each tab. This keeps the main program from freezing and/or crashing if a particular tab crashes.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Sun May 24, 2009 10:52 pm

DrDrrae wrote:One good example of this is Google Chrome. Different processes are opened for each tab. This keeps the main program from freezing and/or crashing if a particular tab crashes.
Exactly DrDrrae. A perfectly good example! The different processes/threads in Chrome allow parallel and/or multiple loading without crashing other tabs.

And that's how it should be done: multiple *threads* all running in the same program.

But Avant/Orca's use of multiple hidden Windows *programs/applications* that are separately opened and closed is too much overhead/processing/resources used, and is fundamentally a bad design.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Mon May 25, 2009 12:48 am

Chrome does use multiple processes.
ChromeProcesses.png
Two windows with a total of five tabs.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Mon May 25, 2009 7:15 am

I just activated open and close program sounds, and rechecked Avant, Orca, Google Chrome, and IE8, which are all multi-process browsers. My conclusion is that they are all fundamentally badly designed! Although in this case, IE8 is the least bad out of all of them.

For Avant, Orca, and Chrome, there is very frequent (>90%) open sounds whenever a new tab is opened, and close sounds whenever a loading process closes. It's _almost_ every time a tab opens, but not quite.

IE8 is the least bad because opening a new tab usually does *not* produce open sounds; it just happens very infrequently (but it does). And there are still the close sounds whenever a loading process closes. But overall, IE8 is much quieter than the other multi-process browsers.

My understanding is that spawning new thread objects within one program has much less overhead and resource usage that creating new windows/*applications*, which is what causes window open sounds. I still think it's a fundamentally bad design if multiple processes are implemented using new windows/apps.

cork1958

Post by cork1958 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Yep,
I agree it's a fundamentally bad design and is part of the reason I quit using Chrome as that one is REALLY, REALLY annoying.

That's also the reason I have those sounds enabled. It enables me to detect if something is opening in the background that shouldn't be, for one thing.

It's also called flashbacks from the Windows 95/98 days when programs didn't like to close properly due to the crappy memory management of those OS's. If I heard the "ding" when closing something, I was more confident the computer wasn't about to lock up/freeze!!

We still have a few of those computers left at work too, so I still am used to those sounds.