CPU Usage 100%

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ehamady
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 12
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE11
Skin: AthenX

CPU Usage 100%

Post by ehamady » Fri May 08, 2015 12:29 am

The 100% CPU Usage continues to be a major problem. The browser slows down to an absolute halt even running just a single tab. My Norton Security Suite complains about it all the time:

I've been counting the number of times this happens for the past 2 days: 47 times yesterday, 62 times today (so far!). This makes the Avant browser unusable. I run into the same problem on different computers at different locations, so the problem is definitely with the browser.

Is anyone attempting to solve this problem?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: CPU Usage 100%

Post by xiaobing » Fri May 08, 2015 6:25 am

To be honest, your cpu is a bit old. Do you have the same problem using other browsers?

ehamady
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 12
Default engine: IE11 Standards
Skin: AthenX

Post by ehamady » Fri May 08, 2015 5:20 pm

I do not have this problem with any other browser. I don't understand why the age of the CPU would be an issue because I get this problem on brand new PCs, laptops, and operating systems as well. Didn't you read my original post where I stated that I run into the same problem on different computers at different locations? This problem only started happening since the last update, so the resource hog is in the Avant program, not with CPUs or memory. My friends who use Avant are all having the same problem so it is not isolated to a single CPU.

My laptop is only 2 years old. I'm not going to buy a new one every year just so Avant will run. Every time a new version of Avant is posted, am I to upgrade to a new CPU? That is ridiculous!

The highest my CPU usage goes to when running IE is 17% and Chrome 14%. That is with 5 tabs open (the most common 5 tabs I have open simultaneously on a daily basis) in each browser. Avant quickly goes to 100% with only 1 or 2 tabs open. I have a gadget installed on my desktop that monitors CPU Usage.

To be honest, the problem is in your software. I'm an IT engineer and blaming the hardware means you don't have a clue where the bug is. I'm sure this is happening to everyone.

Nederpietos
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: 10 pro
Avant Version: 2018 build 7 ult
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: stickers on blue

Post by Nederpietos » Fri May 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Well, that espn site you daily use is a very heavy site.

When i play a vid there in the stand alone chrome for example, my cpu usage is already up to 95-100%, and that is with 1 tab only.

No wonder if you use that site combined with youtube and 3 other sites your cpu usage reaches 100% in Avant.

I used a 1.86 ghz notebook.

Btw, i don't know if that Norton pic shows the actual usage, but on that pic the usage was lowering already after it reached 100%. it's a kinda dumb (useless) warning of Norton. If windows (Taskcontrol) would give me that warning everytime my cpu usage reaches 100% i would get that message 100 times a day also.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm

There used to be a time when we recognized that some problems were caused by two programs not playing well with each other. Is there no chance that's not what is happening here? If there's two things not playing well, having it happen on multiple systems doesn't point solely at whatever program is having the issue because most of the time people put the same programs on all of their systems. I'm sure we could all point to configurations we'd try excluding to see if this fixes anything, but only the OP knows for sure what is duplicated on each system... if that indeed might be the culprit.

I try not to chime in on threads where I don't have some sort of direct response to help the matter but I couldn't pass up the...
ehamady wrote:I'm sure this is happening to everyone.
...line. I have no CPU issues with Avant on its own and outside of hopping on the computer to check something real quick, I never work with less than 4 tabs and probably average 10 or so open during a session. I have had issues with Avant 'CPUing out' when I'm watching Netflix in IE. Typically when the video starts, but sometimes in the middle of viewing. Personally, I think when it happens in the middle of viewing something, a third program is the culprit because IE will crash, too.

I was just surprised to read something from someone in the IT field not even suggesting the possibility that a combination of things might be the culprit, assert that this issue is happening with everyone, and still putting Norton on their system. Like I said, I'm sure everyone would have some stabs in the dark, but personally, I'd see how things run without Norton first.

peter klein
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 11.7 46sr
IE Version: ie8

Post by peter klein » Sat May 16, 2015 11:16 am

I had the same problem on my Dell inspiron with i3 4010 cpu, windows 8.1 and 6gb memory
Avant has become unworkable -vs 10 is even worse than vs 9- so i've removed it, after too many annoyances.I even feared that i had to recover the whole laptop, since other programs started to run slowly also

Now i use firefox, and everything is going ok again, no problems.
And that's a shame because I liked avant more, when it worked well

matsuda0707
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by matsuda0707 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:24 am

I also have the same problem.
My CPU is;
Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition (3.6GHz)

It occurs sometime (one or twice per day), but I have never senn in the previous Avant version!

Cop
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Avant Version: Ultimate 2019 b.2
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Office XP

Post by Cop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:52 pm

The cause of all troubles with memory and productivity is gecko engine. Gecko seeks to occupy all memory and crushes browser.