Tired of having to reset my profile after every update

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

huggy59
Windows Version: Windows 7 Pro x64
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 build 5
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Crystal

Tired of having to reset my profile after every update

Post by huggy59 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 pm

I've been using Avant for years and years. Lately I have had to reset my profile after every update. Things like the main window size not being saved when exiting, search engine choices being reset, skins being changed back to default, buttons being removed, etc. Why is this? Can't the update have code that properly brings our profile settings into the new update and re-saves them? I'm tired of having to recreate my preferences every time I update Avant. Can anyone please tell me what I have to do to avoid this mess?
- huggy59

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Tired of having to reset my profile after every update

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:22 pm

You might try deleting or renaming your profile folder completely and starting from scratch. It sounds like there's a problem with a file in the profile folder itself causing your issue. I can not remember the last time I updated Avant and it wiped my profile settings.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:46 am

Workaround: Tools>Backup/restore profiles, you can backup your setting here, or backup the Avant profiles folder directly before updating

huggy59
Windows Version: Windows 7 Pro x64
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 build 5
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Crystal

Post by huggy59 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks, hornakapopolis, xiaobing,

I have tried completely wiping it several times in the past (on this and other machines). Today Avant crashed and took part of my profile with it (skin, menu settings, search engines, rendering engines, tab settings, etc.). I'm going to uninstall, delete all disk files, purge the registry and start all over. I have had to do this in the past.

I was not aware of the profile backup feature, so maybe that will help in the future. It just seems that after every update, my profile gets all messed up. I usually see it after using the new update for a day or two, then suddenly the interface is reset when I start Avant again. Luckily this time around I didn't lose my auto-fills, history, and bookmarks, but I usually do.
- huggy59