but going backward

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

becool
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: Avant 2014
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: no more
Skin: Luna

but going backward

Post by becool » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi,

We are still waiting the free move of buttons bar ( or at least down side ) just like previous versions of Avant,
I read the change log of new versions and nothing about that,
don't do like other browsers (maxthon and Opera) they loosed many of their users because they removed many of useful options and functions, just read their forums and you will understand,
they want to copy chrome browser but after all they copy only the faults,
You finally have a fast and optimized browser so why do you remove the advantages that makes Avant better, all you have to do is to keep functions we used to have, then you'll have the best browser,
So please don't brake at the Final Lap...

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: but going backward

Post by mbrazil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 am

I second your motion! :thumbup: =D> :clap:

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:34 pm

I've moved this to a more appropriate forum, as the development sub-forums are meant for the Alpha/Beta versions

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:18 pm

mbrazil wrote:I second your motion! :thumbup: =D> :clap:
And, of course, I third it ... not that it will do any good. :roll:

mbrazil, I think I'm at the point finally of giving up on Avant, so what--in your expert opinion--would be the best browser to switch to?

Bear in mind:

(1) I've grown fond of the add-ons associated with Firefox, so a flavor of Firefox might be ideal;
(2) I almost never have need for more than 9 tabs;
(3) I value virtually none of the so-called pluses of the 100 series builds of AB 2013 (other than loading/processing speed, I guess); and
(4) I have 100+ Autofills to copy over (since there seems to be no way to export them), so I'll also need a good FREE log-in screen filler recommendation.

:( :( :( :( :(

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:28 pm

If you're used to Firefox, then Firefox + KeePass would be the obvious choice.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:10 am

brawnymike wrote:what--in your expert opinion--would be the best browser to switch to?
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not an expert. That said, I've been playing with Lunascape again for the last week or so. I'd tried it a couple of times before, but I always came back to Avant (until build 100, that is). Like Avant, Lunascape is a multi-engine browser, and also like Avant used to be, it is quite configurable and customizable. Unfortunately, it's still not quite a match for what Avant used to be, but it's the closest thing I've found, and it puts the current Avant builds to shame in most ways. To my knowledge, and according to Wikipedia, Avant and Lunascape are the only two multi-engine browsers.
brawnymike wrote:Bear in mind:

(1) I've grown fond of the add-ons associated with Firefox, so a flavor of Firefox might be ideal;
Lunascape allows you to choose whether to install Gecko and/or WebKit during installation (Trident is always there). Even though I rarely use WebKit (Chrome), it's nice to have it available in case some website requires it or only works well with it. You can have Trident + Gecko, Trident + WebKit, or Trident + Gecko + WebKit -- your choice.
brawnymike wrote:(2) I almost never have need for more than 9 tabs;
(3) I value virtually none of the so-called pluses of the 100 series builds of AB 2013 (other than loading/processing speed, I guess); and
(4) I have 100+ Autofills to copy over (since there seems to be no way to export them), so I'll also need a good FREE log-in screen filler recommendation.
(2) Lunascape allows multiple rows in the Tabs Bar, just like Avant does and also has some of the settings Avant has relative to the tab width in the Tabs Bar. You can also choose to have the Tabs Bar in the toolbar area near the top or on the bottom with the Status Bar (the Status Bar and all the toolbars can be toggled off and on as needed).

(3) Lunascape seems fairly fast. I haven't made any measurements or comparisons, but it's faster than the pre-100 Avant builds. It also has a lot of skins available, so it can look and function a lot like the old Avant did. So far, they haven't succumbed to the pressure to be a Chrome clone like Avant and most of the other browsers have.

(4) I use RoboForm everywhere, but it's not free. I can't recommend any of the others from personal experience, but there are quite a few available, and you can turn up a lot of reviews and comparisons with a Google search.

If you'd prefer a Gecko-only browser, I'd go with Pale Moon, but it's not a close match for features and configurability.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 am

Got the URL for Lunascape? (intrigued as to how well it would handle the way I treat Avant (i.e. having it open 500+ tabs at once))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:43 am

MysteryFCM wrote:Got the URL for Lunascape? (intrigued as to how well it would handle the way I treat Avant (i.e. having it open 500+ tabs at once))
Here it is http://www.lunascape.tv/. I haven't tried it with a lot of open tabs yet, so it'll be interesting to see what you find out.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:49 am

Cheers :o)

mekd
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by mekd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:02 pm

I am so frustrated with Avant that I hardly use it anymore. It was my browser of choice for 10 years, but there have been some bad changes that I prefer to give up it's plus features for a more stable browser.

A few years ago Anderson said that the advantage of the multithreaded engine is that if one tab or thread freezes up, you can kill/close that tab and continue using Avant. But in my case, Avant completely freezes up so I cannot even find out which PID is the culprit.

I use now Firefox as my regular browser.

Its annoying that Anderson does not respond to users complaints or post any message regarding the future of Avant.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Xp Pro Sp3 x32 / Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2016 build 2
Default engine: Firefox and Chrome Rendering
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

Post by Crazy_John » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:32 pm

mbrazil wrote:I've been playing with Lunascape again
I have it installed for around 1 year or so , just a information , it uses firefox 3.6.28 engine , not firefox 24.0 .

Sometimes i use it but i use more firefox 3.6.28 (just when i want\need load\use alot of tabs) , it uses a very small amount of memory compared to firefox 20's , chrome..

becool
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: Avant 2014
IE Version: no more
Skin: Luna

Post by becool » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for your support :wink:
I posted the message in the "avant browser development" topic, and they moved it here that's why the title begin with "but" It's the 2nd part of Avant well optimized...
The problem is that the topic is locked now , I don't know if only for me or not ?
Anyway I hope Avant Team will read it and consider it, since we are many users to think the same...

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:47 pm

These lastest two updates are a joke, just like the last 8 or so updates. I'm so sick and tired of Avant stealing focus from other apps, and even stealing focus from itself.
After all these years of using and supporting Avant, I think it's time to head off to greener pastures. Apparently Anderson isn't taking this seriously and has been dangling Avant users by a thread of hope that he will bring back what Avant used to be. He's had more than enough time to fix the major problems like the focus stealing. I think his ignoring the issues is a kick in the teeth to all of the faithful Avant users and new users alike. [-X
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)