Down arrows in Search Bar are erratic

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Down arrows in Search Bar are erratic

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Build 113.

The down-arrows for the buttons in the Search Bar appear and disappear under different circumstances from one time to the next. With text in the search field, the down arrows usually appear when your mouse cursor is over any part of the Search Bar. When you move your cursor off the Search Bar, the down-arrows sometimes remain visible, but at other times they disappear as soon as the cursor is no longer over the Search Bar. Sometimes, the down-arrows don't appear unless you place your cursor over the buttons themselves instead of anywhere on the Search Bar.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Down arrows in Search Bar are erratic

Post by xiaobing » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:34 am

When search bar has focus,the drop arrow is always there. When search bar doesn't have focus, the drop arrow only show up when you move your mouse on the search bar. This is how it works.
The problem you found should be "Sometimes, the down-arrows don't appear unless you place your cursor over the buttons themselves instead of anywhere on the Search Bar."
Is there any special condition to remade this problem? I tried many times, but the drop arrow always appear when I move my mouse on anywhere of search bar .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:08 am

When the mouse cursor is over the Search Bar, but the Search Bar does not have the focus, the down arrows for the search engine and the search field appear, but the down arrows for the Search button and the Search Page button do not appear. If I move the cursor off the Search Bar, the search-bar and search-field arrows disappear unless I have clicked in the search field to place the text cursor there. The arrows for the Search button and the Search Page button never appear unless one or more characters are entered in the search field, even if the text cursor is in the search field and the mouse cursor is over one of the buttons. With text in the search field, if I click anywhere else in the Avant window (for example, the Tabs Bar), all four arrows in the search bar disappear when the focus goes away from the Search Bar, but they reappear as long as the mouse cursor is over the Search Bar, even though the Search Bar does not have the focus. It would seem to make more sense if the arrows for the buttons would always appear at the same time as the arrows for the search engine and the search field (including when the text cursor is in the search field but no text has been entered yet), as it's not obvious that the drop-down menus exist unless the down arrows are showing.

In the process of trying to reproduce what I was seeing the other night when I started this thread, I came across another anomaly. If I switch to another app and back to Avant by clicking in the other window and then the Avant window, everything continues to work correctly in Avant, but if switch with the task switcher instead, I can no longer get the text cursor to appear in the Search Bar or the Address Bar. Once this happens, the only way I can restore the ability to move the focus to the Search Bar or the Address Bar is to close and then reopen Avant. This may be part of what I was seeing in terms of varying behavior of the down arrows.

Since this occurs every time, I can't really determine the steps to make the arrows work differently under different circumstances.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 am

It would seem to make more sense if the arrows for the buttons would always appear at the same time as the arrows for the search engine and the search field (including when the text cursor is in the search field but no text has been entered yet), as it's not obvious that the drop-down menus exist unless the down arrows are showing.
The down arrow for Search button and the Search Page button is just a one-time setting just for current keyword. If no keyword on search bar,showing the down arrow makes no sense.
but if switch with the task switcher instead, I can no longer get the text cursor to appear in the Search Bar or the Address Bar.
Task switcher is alt+tab? What way you use to get the text cursor to appear in the Search Bar or the Address Bar?(shortcut or left click?)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:53 am

Task switcher is alt+tab? What way you use to get the text cursor to appear in the Search Bar or the Address Bar?(shortcut or left click?)
Yes, Alt+Tab. I'm left clicking in the Search Bar or the Address Bar to try to enter text (after I've moved the focus back to Avant with Alt+Tab).

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:38 am

Is the focus on search bar/ address bar before using Alt+Tab? How often it happens?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:26 am

The focus can be anywhere in the Avant window. It doesn't matter whether it's in the Address Bar, the Search Bar, or somewhere else. It is 100% repeatable. Some additional observations:

1. The problem happens only when I use the task switcher (Alt+Tab) to switch TO the Avant window. Using the task switcher to switch away from the Avant window and a left mouse click to switch back does not cause it.

2. The Address Bar and the Search Bar are completely non-responsive except for the 'handles' at the left ends of the bars. Hovering the cursor anywhere over either bar (except the handles) has no effect at all (no arrows or highlighting appear). Hovering over the handles brings up the move cursor like it should.

3. Right-clicking the Address Bar brings up the correct context menu (Paste and Go, etc.), but none of the commands in that menu have any effect.

4. Right-clicking the Search Bar brings up the context menu that you normally get on any of the toolbars (Skins, etc.). The items in that menu do work, except that I cannot turn off the Search Bar. The checkmark in the menu comes and goes when I click it, but the Search Bar is always there. The other toolbars can be turned on and off normally.

2. Everything else in the Avant window that I've checked works normally even when the Address and Search bars don't:

* The buttons in the Standard Buttons bar work properly, and their tooltips are displayed normally.
* The Avant Menu and the menus for toolbar buttons like AutoFills, Bookmarks, etc. work normally.
* The buttons, etc. in the Sidebar all work normally.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 am

Thank you for the detailed information .
yes I use Alt+Tab to switch to the Avant window, I tried about half an hour but still no success.

Please try it with a brand new profiles and see whether it works.