firefox rendering extension - Magic actions for youtube

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: W10 x64 / W7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2019 build 2
Default engine: 1ºFirefox \ 2ºChrome
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

firefox rendering extension - Magic actions for youtube

Post by Crazy_John » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:04 pm

For some reason the latest 2 or 3 versions (not sure , but some versions ago ) the firefox rendering extension Magic actions for youtube is not "enabled" when i start avant (dont work in youtube) , but in the add-ons>>>extensions says its enabled .

To Magic actions for you tube work , i need to :
• go to the extensions , click disable , then click enable .
After this is working fine .
This problem was not happening some versions ago .

I dont know if the problem is of avant or of the extension (i dont remember if i did a update of the extension or not...) .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: firefox rendering extension - Magic actions for youtube

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:16 pm

What is the setting for extensions.update.enabled in about:config? If it's set to true, your extensions (not necessarily all of them) will update automatically.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Theres some weird situation about the extensions update .

The about:config says its enabled
extensions.update.enabled; true

But in the add-ons>>>extensions page , you can see a small icon in the top-right (left side of the search) , if you click on it you see some options there , and the Update add-ons automatically is OFF (always have been OFF , because i like of do the updates when i want and thats the option i use to dont update automatically )

I never noticed that a new version of a extension was updated automatically , its always me that choose what is going to be installed ( I have some extensions that are outdated , example:addblock plus ...)

Maybe the Update add-ons automatically OFF , annul\invalidates the about:config option .
(i dont remember if i did a update of the extension or not...)
I mean that i dont remember if i did a update , manually .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:00 pm

There's another setting in about config that might have something to do with it: extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault. It's my understanding from some research I did awhile back that extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is obsolete and that extensions.update.enabled overrides it. However, I don't know for a fact that that's accurate.

Also, Gecko stores all settings in prefs.js, and about:config is the user interface to prefs.js. I'm pretty sure that what's currently shown in about:config is what Gecko is adhering to. Gecko's Options dialog also keeps its settings in prefs.js/about:config. Gecko doesn't store any user settings in the Windows registry. I'm not positive, but it's my impression that extension authors are expected to conform to this rule and that most, if not all, of them do.

I haven't had any experience with Magic Actions for YouTube, so I can't provide anything that might help that's specific to that extension.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 pm

This 2 options are the same :
add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically = about:config extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault
mbrazil wrote: extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is obsolete and that extensions.update.enabled overrides it
Its not obsolete , here is OFF and theres no updates .
About the "override" , if theres a "override" its the extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault that overrride the other (from the settings i have here)
Or maybe one override the other ,doesn't matter which one (didn't tested) .

About the problem of Magic actions for youtube ,
I will try other versions of avant and see what happens .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm

Obsolete does not mean non-functional. extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is obsolete only in the sense that it is no longer the setting that Mozilla recommends for enabling or disabling automatic updates to add-ons. They now recommend using extensions.update.enabled instead of extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault for this purpose.

When extensions.update.enabled is set to true, Gecko checks for new versions of add-ons. This setting does not control whether the updates are installed automatically if they are available. It only controls whether Gecko checks for them. Obviously, if it never checks for them, it won't know when they're available, so it won't install them.

When extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is set to true, Gecko automatically installs updates to add-ons that it has found to be available, but in cannot find (or even look for) available updates when extensions.update.enabled is set to false.

The two settings do not do the same thing, but setting either one to false prevents add-on updates from being automatically installed, since Gecko can't install them unless it has checked and found available updates. However, it is better (more efficient) to prevent automatic update installation of add-ons by preventing detection of updates than by allowing Gecko to check for updates but not install them.

extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault is the setting that is changed when you check or uncheck Update Add-ons Automatically on the about:addons page. Checking or unchecking Update Add-ons Automatically has no effect on the setting for extensions.update.enabled. I have no idea why Mozilla hasn't changed this to follow their own recommendations.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 pm

If it is like that , its something that need to be changed in firefox , a normal user dont use the about:config page to change options , a normal user use the add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically option to dont have updates automatically .
mbrazil wrote: They now recommend using extensions.update.enabled instead of extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault for this purpose
They recommend but they dont put that tied to the button that is in add-ons>>>extensions page , not a very smart move , recommend something that dont work as they think it should be .

I dont care of what is recommend , what is important to me is that it works (that the updates are OFF) .

mbrazil wrote: When extensions.update.enabled is set to true, Gecko checks for new versions of add-ons
Gecko checks for new versions , ok , but it doesn't show any message about new versions , nothing at all ,
thats why i think that add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically override the other setting .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:10 am

If it is like that , its something that need to be changed in firefox
Here's the address for Mozilla support: https://support.mozilla.org/.
a normal user dont use the about:config page to change options , a normal user use the add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically option to dont have updates automatically .
What's a normal user? There are many Firefox users who are very familiar with using about:config to change and tweak settings. There's a great deal of information available about about:config entries on Mozilla's site and on many other sites.
They recommend but they dont put that tied to the button that is in add-ons>>>extensions page , not a very smart move , recommend something that dont work as they think it should be .
You are completely free to contact Mozilla and tell them how you feel. There's nothing anyone here can do to make changes to Gecko. Only Mozilla can do that.
I dont care of what is recommend , what is important to me is that it works (that the updates are OFF) .
Knowledge can be very useful. Ignorance can be very harmful. When you learn how things work and how you can control them, you can fix many problems by yourself.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:38 pm

mbrazil wrote:
If it is like that , its something that need to be changed in firefox
Here's the address for Mozilla support: https://support.mozilla.org/.
I dont need that site for anything , i dont care about stupid recommendations , its working fine as it is using the add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically option , i send that link back to you again .
mbrazil wrote:
a normal user dont use the about:config page to change options , a normal user use the add-ons>>>extensions page >>> Update add-ons automatically option to dont have updates automatically .
What's a normal user? There are many Firefox users who are very familiar with using about:config to change and tweak settings. There's a great deal of information available about about:config entries on Mozilla's site and on many other sites.
Thats advanced users , normal users go to the options of firefox and thats it .
Also when u go to the about:config page you get a warning text about change this advanced settings can be harmful to the stability , security ......
From the people i know , most of them if not all , they dont care of spend time on going to the about:config to change things that for them most of the times they dont even notice almost any difference , its much easier for them just use the options box .
Conclusion is , they just want use firefox and thats it , they dont want loose time on settings .
mbrazil wrote:
You are completely free to contact Mozilla and tell them how you feel. There's nothing anyone here can do to make changes to Gecko. Only Mozilla can do that.
I dont waste my time with contact mozilla about something that is working as it is now , and also dont contact mozilla just because i read someone saying that they recommend something .
It is working fine , it is ok , s***t to recommendations :lol:
mbrazil wrote:
Knowledge can be very useful. Ignorance can be very harmful. When you learn how things work and how you can control them, you can fix many problems by yourself.
The world is full of done phrases .
That has nothing to do with this recommendation thing , it is working fine , just a person that as nothing to do or for any other negative reason will waste time with 1 thing that works fine .
I like to know what i want to know and what i need know , not what others want that i know specially if its about "problems" that dont exist .

Now back on topic because this update and recommendations thing has nothing to do with the magic actions for youtube problem .

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Crazy_John wrote:For some reason the latest 2 or 3 versions (not sure , but some versions ago ) the firefox rendering extension Magic actions for youtube is not "enabled" when i start avant (dont work in youtube) , but in the add-ons>>>extensions says its enabled .

I dont know if the problem is of avant or of the extension (i dont remember if i did a update of the extension or not...) .
Some news about this problem .

The problem happens with :
Avant 2013 build 110
Avant 2013 build 107
•I didn't tested with other 10x versions because i dont have them .

Works fine with :
Avant 2013 build 23

Looks like the problem is of avant 110 (1xx) version and not of the extension .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:09 pm

Crazy_John wrote: The problem happens with :
Avant 2013 build 110
Avant 2013 build 107

Works fine with :
Avant 2013 build 23

Build 23 uses Gecko version 19, build 107 uses Gecko 20, build 108 uses Gecko 21, and builds 109 and 110 use Gecko 22, so the cause of the problem with Magic Actions for YouTube could be in Gecko 20 and above, in the 100+ builds of Avant, or it could be the extension itself needs to be updated to work correctly with recent versions of Gecko. It's most likely to be in Gecko 20+ or in the extension itself, since the problem is between Gecko and Magic Actions for YouTube, and it's unlikely that Avant would have anything to do with it. Contact Mozilla and the extension's developer and report the bug to them.

You should also make sure you're using the most recent version of Magic Actions for YouTube.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:09 pm

mbrazil wrote:
Crazy_John wrote: The problem happens with :
Avant 2013 build 110
Avant 2013 build 107

Works fine with :
Avant 2013 build 23

Build 23 uses Gecko version 19, build 107 uses Gecko 20, build 108 uses Gecko 21, and builds 109 and 110 use Gecko 22, so the cause of the problem with Magic Actions for YouTube could be in Gecko 20 and above, in the 100+ builds of Avant, or it could be the extension itself needs to be updated to work correctly with recent versions of Gecko. It's most likely to be in Gecko 20+ or in the extension itself, since the problem is between Gecko and Magic Actions for YouTube, and it's unlikely that Avant would have anything to do with it. Contact Mozilla and the extension's developer and report the bug to them.

You should also make sure you're using the most recent version of Magic Actions for YouTube.
I have the latest version of Magic Actions for YouTube installed .

The problem is with avant 107 , 110 builds .

Firefox 19 works very well with magic-actions-for-youtube , also with avant build 23
Firefox 20 works very well with magic-actions-for-youtube
Firefox 21 works very well with magic-actions-for-youtube
Firefox 22 works very well with magic-actions-for-youtube

I turned off all other extension also , but its the same problem .

Its something with avant that is not "refreshing" that extension at startup of avant or something else in avant .

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:14 am

You may be right. Avant may be doing something that somehow interferes with Gecko's ability to enable that particular extension, but you've left a couple of things out of your equation:

1. Avant doesn't manage Firefox extensions. Gecko does. All Avant does when you choose one of the options under Firefox in the Tools menu is to call a function in the Gecko engine. The Add-ons tab (about:addons) and the Firefox Options dialog are both parts of the Gecko engine. Anything you do and any changes you make in the Add-ons tab and the Options dialog are going directly to the Gecko engine.

2. The Gecko engine that's distributed to other developers has minor differences from it's implementation in Firefox.

So, given the results of your tests:

(I didn't verify these test results.)

Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Gecko 19 in Avant build 23.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 20.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 21.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 22.

and

Magic Actions for YouTube is not initially enabled with Gecko 20 in Avant build 107.
Magic Actions for YouTube is not initially enabled with Gecko 22 in Avant build 110.

You are arriving at your conclusion that it can only be a problem caused by Avant even though Avant doesn't manage Firefox add-ons and even though some difference in the Gecko implementation between Firefox and Avant might be a factor. As I said, you may still be right, but your conclusion isn't justified because your logic is flawed.

Good luck.

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by Climhazard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:16 pm

I've had similar bug with Magic Actions for Youtube and NoScript with 2012 b197. Every second or third time i launched Avant, it would open both of these extensions start pages like i just installed them. In Avant 2013 b23 i think this didn't happen but i didn't use it long enough to be sure. I have used same gecko (v20) in both of them, so this is clearly another one of Avants bug possibly in communication with Firefox addons settings. Using Firefox itself didn't cause anything like this in any version.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

mbrazil wrote:You may be right. Avant may be doing something that somehow interferes with Gecko's ability to enable that particular extension, but you've left a couple of things out of your equation:
• Im right • I dont do equations , i see facts .
1. Avant doesn't manage Firefox extensions. Gecko does. All Avant does when you choose one of the options under Firefox in the Tools menu is to call a function in the Gecko engine. The Add-ons tab (about:addons) and the Firefox Options dialog are both parts of the Gecko engine. Anything you do and any changes you make in the Add-ons tab and the Options dialog are going directly to the Gecko engine.
• to the gecko engine that is with a problem and dont enable some plugins , a problem of avant because the gecko folder of avant is changed to work with avant and not by firefox it self , conclusion avant as this bug but u dont want see it again :)
2. The Gecko engine that's distributed to other developers has minor differences from it's implementation in Firefox.

So, given the results of your tests:

(I didn't verify these test results.)

Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Gecko 19 in Avant build 23.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 20.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 21.
Magic Actions for YouTube works very well with Firefox 22.

and

Magic Actions for YouTube is not initially enabled with Gecko 20 in Avant build 107.
Magic Actions for YouTube is not initially enabled with Gecko 22 in Avant build 110.

You are arriving at your conclusion that it can only be a problem caused by Avant even though Avant doesn't manage Firefox add-ons and even though some difference in the Gecko implementation between Firefox and Avant might be a factor. As I said, you may still be right, but your conclusion isn't justified because your logic is flawed.
• My logic is not flawed , your it is . Theres some extensions that change buttons and other things that dont work with avant and its normal that dont work because avant use its own buttons.... but magic actions is not that type of extension , it works ok with build 23 "should" work ok with build 110 also , dont work because theres a problem in avant build 110 .
Good luck.
Good luck to you too .

You need to understand the things better and in a simpler way .
Its like the other problem that just some people was having , the problem with the middle mouse click not working in avant ,
for you , this problem should not be a problem of avant , but a problem of the mouse because avant doesn't call the mouse ...
:lol:

Oh and lets stop of write books in the forum about nothing (theres alot of books written here in the forum) , when its obvious that is a avant problem .
If not , next things we go talk is about apples and oranges...

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by Crazy_John » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:25 pm

Climhazard wrote:I've had similar bug with Magic Actions for Youtube and NoScript with 2012 b197. Every second or third time i launched Avant, it would open both of these extensions start pages like i just installed them. In Avant 2013 b23 i think this didn't happen but i didn't use it long enough to be sure. I have used same gecko (v20) in both of them, so this is clearly another one of Avants bug possibly in communication with Firefox addons settings. Using Firefox itself didn't cause anything like this in any version.
Yes completely agree with that , its a Avant bug .

Just dont see that who dont want see .

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:05 am

Crazy_John wrote:For some reason the latest 2 or 3 versions (not sure , but some versions ago ) the firefox rendering extension Magic actions for youtube is not "enabled" when i start avant (dont work in youtube) , but in the add-ons>>>extensions says its enabled .

Confirmed.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 am

Fixed in 2013 build 112