Download problems: get server error 500

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

bobbyrae
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP1
Avant Version: 2015 build 8
Default engine: IE
IE Version: 11
Skin: standard

Download problems: get server error 500

Post by bobbyrae » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I have a WinXP system with a Athlon 3200 processor.

When I used FF I could go to file sharing sites and download files, but when I go to the same sites and try this with Avant I typically get the "Server Error Code: 500".

One time when it actually downloaded the file for me, it saved it to a different directory with a completely different file name from what I told it AND what it said in the downloader window. So, if nothing else, there is a bug about what it says in that download window versus what it really does! The actual filename was something obnoxious like "s993fk49dfk59s0g.downloadfile". It should have had ".rar" as the extension. After renaming the file I could look inside and see that it was the one I expected.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Download problems: get server error 500

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Which version and build of Avant are you using (your profile just says 'lite')?

HTTP error 500 doesn't tell anyone much, as it's very generic -- it's issued when a more specific error message does not exist for the problem.

The following is a quote from the page at HTTP Error 500 Internal server error.

"This error can only be resolved by fixes to the Web server software. It is not a client-side problem. It is up to the operators of the Web server site to locate and analyse the logs which should give further information about the error."

Just for the heck of it, why don't you try using a free third-party downloader in Avant, like EagleGet or Free Download Manager? That might solve your problem, and it would be a way to determine if the Avant downloader is doing anything that might be contributing to the problem the server is experiencing.

You might also try contacting an admin at the server or servers that you are receiving the error from.

bobbyrae
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP1
Avant Version: 2015 build 8
Default engine: IE
IE Version: 11
Skin: standard

Post by bobbyrae » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for the response Mike.

I have Ultimate 2013 build 110. I know "server error 500" doesn't tell us much, but it's all I have. The question is, why does Avant get this error in situations where FF does not?

I am also frustrated by some downloads not asking me where to save the file, but instead Avant just assumes to put them in MyDocuments\downloads. It required searching the whole system and then I will forget about this problem because it doesn't happen every time.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:26 am

bobbyrae wrote: I am also frustrated by some downloads not asking me where to save the file, but instead Avant just assumes to put them in MyDocuments\downloads. It required searching the whole system and then I will forget about this problem because it doesn't happen every time.
If it happens again, please give me the link.
P.s. right clicking the file in downloader can open its folder:
无标题.jpg
无标题.jpg (55.1 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:17 am

mbrazil wrote:HTTP error 500 doesn't tell anyone much, as it's very generic -- it's issued when a more specific error message does not exist for the problem.

The following is a quote from the page at HTTP Error 500 Internal server error.

"This error can only be resolved by fixes to the Web server software. It is not a client-side problem. It is up to the operators of the Web server site to locate and analyse the logs which should give further information about the error."
I know I'm a little late to this party, but just an FYI, HTTP 500 isn't issued when a specific error message doesn't exist, but is presented when server admins have told the server not to send the real error details, to the clients browser ;)