Avant freeze

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Avant freeze

Post by mbrazil » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:44 am

mathman wrote:I just installed it (it was on SnapFiles list and well recommended by users). I am confused about how it supposed to work. I seem to have started it and it seems to be going. It would be useful if there was some description of how it is supposed to be used.
Try this: http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem-help

mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

Post by mathman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:09 pm

mbrazil wrote:
mathman wrote:I just installed it (it was on SnapFiles list and well recommended by users). I am confused about how it supposed to work. I seem to have started it and it seems to be going. It would be useful if there was some description of how it is supposed to be used.
Try this: http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem-help
The description appears to be useful. However I cant get to first base. How do I get the mini monitor window? When I installed it no shortcuts were created. I had to go to the start menu, where I started the process. The good news is that it is doing the job it is supposed to. Even after an AVG sweep the memory usage is ~ 30%. Right now it is 35%, since Avant is on.

One quirk, which may be unrelated, but the timing is too coincidental, since it started only after CleanMem was installed. When using Firefox or Chrome (stand alone, not Avant rendering) I get something that looks like an attempt at an ad at the bottom of the screen (a blank rectangle with an x in the upper right hand corner). Clicking on the x makes the blank go away, allowing the bottom of the page to appear.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:41 pm

mathman wrote:The description appears to be useful. However I cant get to first base. How do I get the mini monitor window? When I installed it no shortcuts were created. I had to go to the start menu, where I started the process. The good news is that it is doing the job it is supposed to. Even after an AVG sweep the memory usage is ~ 30%. Right now it is 35%, since Avant is on.
There should be a CleanMem folder somewhere in your Start menu (probably in All Programs). Try searching for it, and if you can't find it, try running the CleanMem installer again. The folder contains shortcuts to the Mini Monitor and to the CleanMem configuration window. Most of the settings in the configuration window are for the fonts, font sizes, and colors used in the Mini Monitor and for the position of the Mini Monitor "window." You can also set how frequently CleanMem clears memory. It's mostly the kind of utility you can install and then more-or-less forget about it and let it do its thing. Just make sure it's set to start automatically when you boot up. Just in case, the command to open the configuration window is "[your path to the CleanMem program folder]\CleanMem\CleanMem_Settings.exe".

If you have questions, the author has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/PcWinTechFanPage.
mathman wrote:One quirk, which may be unrelated, but the timing is too coincidental, since it started only after CleanMem was installed. When using Firefox or Chrome (stand alone, not Avant rendering) I get something that looks like an attempt at an ad at the bottom of the screen (a blank rectangle with an x in the upper right hand corner). Clicking on the x makes the blank go away, allowing the bottom of the page to appear.
I haven't seen this happen, but I also have been using the Pro version for quite awhile, so maybe what you're seeing is meant to be a "nag window" that pops up to try to get you to buy the Pro version. I can't see why there'd be a connection to Firefox or Chrome, though.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:13 am

I found out how to get the mini monitor. Right click on the (green) box giving the current memory usage. A menu pops up with an item called monitor settings.

The blank in the bottom does not seem to be from CleanMem directly. It appears to be an attempt for an ad, but I have Adbloc plus, so most of the time it is blank. Occasionally there is an ad, but not from CleanMem.

Added note. I did a restart this morning and now the blank memory usage is 25% (down from 30%), while the current (Advant on) is 29%.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 am

The green box is the Mini Monitor.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 pm

mbrazil wrote:The green box is the Mini Monitor.
What I was referring to is what I get after choosing monitor settings after clicking on the green box to get a menu.

On the bottom of monitor settings it says "pro features unlocked for 6 more days." What features is it referring to? What happens after?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:15 am

mathman wrote:On the bottom of monitor settings it says "pro features unlocked for 6 more days." What features is it referring to? What happens after?
There is no clear comparison of the features of the free and pro versions on the website. There is something in the pro version that I wanted (I don't remember what it was), so I bought the pro, which is only $4.99. I found the following on the author's website:

CleanMem itself is totally free. When you install CleanMem it will auto run every 15 min by the Windows Task Scheduler. Once installed it is set it and forget it. Just as it always has been.

You can configure CleanMem to do more advanced things such as ignore lists, only lists, and log files. These can be set by the CleanMem Settings program in the start menu.

The Mini Monitor is the only part of CleanMem that is the Free/Pro. All features in the mini monitor from v1.7.0 are included and still free, including some new features that where added as well.

The Pro version of the mini monitor is simply extra features, such as tools and information.

One very important thing is that there are no nag screens in the free version of the mini monitor and no pop ups asking you to upgrade to pro or anything like that. So the free version is still as helpful as it was before and the pro version adds more control and options for the power users.

Much more detailed information about CleanMem can be found here.
About CleanMem
CleanMem Change Log
CleanMem Features, Help & Information

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:13 am

Thanks. I will let it stay and do its thing. I had to create my own shortcut - CleanMem restart is needed after a computer restart.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:56 am

Did you put the shortcut in your Startup folder?

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:49 pm

mbrazil wrote:Did you put the shortcut in your Startup folder?
No - I put it on the screen where most of my icons are.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:20 am

If you put it in your Startup folder, it will start automatically every time you start or restart your computer, so you won't have to even think about it.