Avant freeze

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mathman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: 10 (64 bit)
Avant Version: 2016 utimate latest
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal (may vary)

Avant freeze

Post by mathman » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Since downloading build 108, Avant freezes up fairly often. I need to use the task manager to close Avant so that I can continue. Is this an Internet overload problem or an Avant problem?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Avant freeze

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:39 am

Sounds like an Avant problem. I haven't had any crashes with build 108, but I'm running the USB version, since I still have build 23 installed. There are quite a few variables that could also have an effect on stability in addition to the USB version vs. the installed version. Why don't you try the USB version to see if it works for you without crashing. If it does, either continue to use the USB version for the time being, or uninstall Avant, reboot, and reinstall it. If you decide to do the uninstall, use Revo Uninstaller, and choose the Advanced mode.

Also, the USB version won't run at all if Avant is already running unless you add -runextra to the command that starts it. Just edit the shortcut that starts Avant USB to:  [path to the USB version]\avant.exe -runextra

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 pm

mbrazil wrote:Sounds like an Avant problem. I haven't had any crashes with build 108, but I'm running the USB version, since I still have build 23 installed. There are quite a few variables that could also have an effect on stability in addition to the USB version vs. the installed version. Why don't you try the USB version to see if it works for you without crashing. If it does, either continue to use the USB version for the time being, or uninstall Avant, reboot, and reinstall it. If you decide to do the uninstall, use Revo Uninstaller, and choose the Advanced mode.

Also, the USB version won't run at all if Avant is already running unless you add -runextra to the command that starts it. Just edit the shortcut that starts Avant USB to:  [path to the USB version]\avant.exe -runextra
What is the difference between USB version and ultimate? I am on a Windows 7 PC.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 pm

mathman wrote:Since downloading build 108, Avant freezes up fairly often. I need to use the task manager to close Avant so that I can continue. Is this an Internet overload problem or an Avant problem?
I've found that build 108 crashes more than the last version too. And it don't crash with a purple screen or any warnings, it just totally freezes and like you I have to use my task manager to kill it.... :thumbdown:
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 am

We'll try to improve this problem in next build.

Biloulou
Windows Version: Windows 7 pro 64-bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 build 1
Default engine: IE11 Standards Mode
Skin: Aluminium

Post by Biloulou » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:26 pm

What a pity, same problem, AB Ultimate 2013 build 107 and 108 became unusable due to frozen.
Two times uninstalled, two times reinstalled.
Windows Seven Prof 64 bits

Regards, good luck !
Phase1a.jpg
Task manager, phase 1
Phase2ajpg.jpg
Task manager, phase 2

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Just to add to the confusion. Yesterday I had several freezes, today none.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 pm

mathman wrote:Just to add to the confusion. Yesterday I had several freezes, today none.
Give it time, the day ain't over with yet.....
((((TINMAN))))

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

Tinman57 wrote:
mathman wrote:Just to add to the confusion. Yesterday I had several freezes, today none.
No freezes since last Saturday.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 am

mathman wrote:
Tinman57 wrote:
No freezes since last Saturday.
You must be enchanted or something. The night I posted that comment I had 4 or 5 of those freezes, and ybrowsers that kept getting stuck and eating up CPU cycles/RAM even after Avant was closed....
((((TINMAN))))

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 am

Tinman57 wrote: You must be enchanted or something. The night I posted that comment I had 4 or 5 of those freezes, and ybrowsers that kept getting stuck and eating up CPU cycles/RAM even after Avant was closed....
Since my last post I have had one (at least) more. Usually a restart cleans things up for a while.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

mathman wrote:
Tinman57 wrote: You must be enchanted or something. The night I posted that comment I had 4 or 5 of those freezes, and ybrowsers that kept getting stuck and eating up CPU cycles/RAM even after Avant was closed....
Since my last post I have had one (at least) more. Usually a restart cleans things up for a while.
On a normal day, if I surf the web for 3 hours, I have to restart Avant anywhere from 3 to 5 or more times....
((((TINMAN))))

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Tinman57 wrote:
mathman wrote:
On a normal day, if I surf the web for 3 hours, I have to restart Avant anywhere from 3 to 5 or more times....
I meant restart the computer.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:07 am

mathman wrote:On a normal day, if I surf the web for 3 hours, I have to restart Avant anywhere from 3 to 5 or more times....

Maybe you should consider dropping back to build 23 until there's a (hopefully) more reliable 100+ build available. I'm using build 23 for almost all my browsing, and I haven't rebooted my computer in over eight days. I occasionally have to restart the Firefox engine, or sometimes even build 23 itself, but I haven't had to restart the computer for anything that happens in Avant for a long time.

I occasionally use the USB version of build 108 when I want to test it, and I occasionally use IE, Firefox, and some other browsers that I'm testing as possible alternatives, but this amounts to a very small portion of the time I use a browser. I haven't experienced any freezes in USB build 108, but I don't run it for anywhere near the amount of time that you run build 108, so it's likely I just haven't had it running long enough to experience a freeze.

I normally don't recommend using older versions because of unfixed security vulnerabilities in the rendering engines, but with good, effective security software protecting my computer, and the lack of any significant security vulnerabilities being reported in any of the engines since build 23 was released, I think the risk is negligible, at least for the time being.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm

mathman wrote:
mathman wrote: Since my last post I have had one (at least) more. Usually a restart cleans things up for a while.

Oh man! If I had to totally restart my computer just to get Avant to behave itself I would have blown it off my hard drive long ago.... :shock:
((((TINMAN))))

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:21 am

When Avant occasionally misbehaves I need to restart Avant. However I have found once in while, when problems are frequent, restarting the computer clears it up.

wazib
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2017 Ultimate b.7
IE Version: 11.0
Skin: crystal

Post by wazib » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Freezing of the Avant Browser 2013 b110, engine Firefox, nine tabs opened

Suspension was very strange. I can not switch tabs or select any option in menu. In actual (active) tab links are active and it is possible to scroll through content. It is not possible to normally close the program. The only option is to close Avant - in Task Manager close process avant.exe,

I think developer must concentrate to eliminate bugs:
a. make Avant more stable,
b. eliminate lilac screen (purple screen of death),
c. eliminate error: Access Violation Error in module "avantbrige.dll".

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

This could be a problem in my computer.

After a restart, the physical memory usage (task manager) ~ 30%.

After a day or so (probably due to AVG scan) ~ 50%.

When it gets closer to 60% I tend to have problems (such as frequent Avant freezes), so I will restart to clear up the memory.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:12 am

mathman, you might want to consider a memory-management utility like CleanMem (http://www.pcwintech.com/about-cleanmem). I've used it for several years now, and it does a good job of releasing memory that programs are no longer using, etc., which helps to maintain stability and prevent the kinds of problems that occur when there's not a lot of memory left available. There's a full explanation of what it does and how it works on their website, but this is the short version, "CleanMem keeps memory use in check on the system without the memory being pushed to the page file. This in turn keeps the system running smoother."

There's a free version and a pro version so you can try it out at no cost. If the free version does the job for you, you don't need to purchase the pro version, since it just adds some extra features that you may not want or need. Before I settled on CleanMem, I tried and discarded several other "similar" programs for various reasons. I recommend CleanMem only because it works well for me.

mathman
Avantic
Avantic

Post by mathman » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 am

mbrazil wrote:mathman, you might want to consider a memory-management utility like CleanMem (http://www.pcwintech.com/about-cleanmem). I've used it for several years now, and it does a good job of releasing memory that programs are no longer using, etc., which helps to maintain stability and prevent the kinds of problems that occur when there's not a lot of memory left available. There's a full explanation of what it does and how it works on their website, but this is the short version, "CleanMem keeps memory use in check on the system without the memory being pushed to the page file. This in turn keeps the system running smoother."

There's a free version and a pro version so you can try it out at no cost. If the free version does the job for you, you don't need to purchase the pro version, since it just adds some extra features that you may not want or need. Before I settled on CleanMem, I tried and discarded several other "similar" programs for various reasons. I recommend CleanMem only because it works well for me.
I just installed it (it was on SnapFiles list and well recommended by users). I am confused about how it supposed to work. I seem to have started it and it seems to be going. It would be useful if there was some description of how it is supposed to be used.