Build 108

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Build 108

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:50 am

Avant 2013 build 108 after dragging window borders and Sidebar:
avant window garbage.jpg

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Re: Build 108

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 am

avant window garbage 2.jpg

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:20 am

avant window garbage 3.jpg

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:39 am

This should be interesting...
avant window garbage 4.jpg

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Which begs the question: THIS type of bad display is somehow preferable to the bad jittery display one would have if the bookmarks pane were allowed to be docked on the left??? Bad display is bad display as far as I'm concerned, so why not let users SEE if they can stand the jittery display which a left-docked bookmarks pane would cause (supposedly) in the new UI?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:12 am

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32770

From my experimentation with the Avant "window" in the 100+ builds, I've come to the conclusion that it's not really a window at all. It's a group of window-like components that are all more-or-less stuck together. This explains a lot of the problems and it explains why some things that used to be possible in Avant are no longer possible or at least practical. The bottom line here is that the only way to get Avant back on track is to abandon all the 100+ builds and to continue debugging and development using build 23 as the starting point. (Please, Ander-Wan Kenobi; you're our only hope!)

These are the components:

1. The top portion that contains the title bar, the menu, the tab bar and the toolbars. This is really all that's left of the "Avant window." That's why, if you drag the top border up, it leaves a blank area between the lowest toolbar and the top of the content pane and Sidebar. You can also resize this part of the UI horizontally (by dragging its side borders) without affecting the content pane and the Sidebar (sometimes, the other components come along with it, and sometimes they don't).

2 and 3. The Sidebar and the background/borders it is superimposed on. To some degree, the Sidebar and the background/borders can be manipulated separately; you can drag the Sidebar to the left, but it leaves its right border behind covering up the content pane. However, you can then drag the right border to the left to catch up with the Sidebar and make the content pane visible again. The Sidebar and it's background/borders can be positioned completely outside the "Avant window" to either the left or the right.

4. The content pane. You cannot directly affect the size or the position of the content pane, but you can indirectly by moving and resizing the other components.

5. The left border of the content pane. The only thing you can do with this border is to drag its left edge to make it wider or narrower. The minimum size it can be reduced to is four pixels. The maximum width is limited only by the width of your monitor.

6. The bottom border. This can be resized but not moved (except for those times it moves with the top section). If you drag it down, it will get taller, and you can then drag the left or right ends.

Doing a combination of all these things is needed to achieve the "window" configuration in my screenshot. The only thing I haven't found a way to do is to restore the border at the right side of the content pane after moving the Sidebar to the left.
sidebar left.jpg
Note that the toolbars at the top and right edge of the content pane are generated by the Firefox engine and some extensions. They have nothing to do with Avant and occupy space that is actually part of the content pane.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 am

When you stop moving Avant, will the Avant window go back to normal?
I can see some of the problems only when I drag the border rapidly. Once I stop, it's back to normal.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 am

xiaobing wrote:When you stop moving Avant, will the Avant window go back to normal?
I can see some of the problems only when I drag the border rapidly. Once I stop, it's back to normal.
Obviously, I'm doing things that were not intended, but everything stays in place as long as I don't try to drag the window or change skins. I haven't tried anything else, so I don't know what other actions may trigger Avant to redraw everything again, but opening and closing tabs and using the browser normally does not cause anything to move around. As I mentioned, sometimes the other parts of the "window" follow along (with a very noticeable delay) when I resize the part with the toolbars, but usually, if I drag the left or right border of that part somewhat rapidly a few times, the content pane and the Sidebar stop moving with it. After that, I can drag and resize all the parts separately.