Drag and drop to open new tab no longer works in Facebook

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Drag and drop to open new tab no longer works in Facebook

Post by mbrazil » Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 am

With "Enable mouse super drag and drop to open new tab" enabled, nothing happens in Facebook when you drop the link. It used to work, and I don't know when it stopped working. It still works fine pretty much everywhere else I've tried it.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Re: Drag and drop to open new tab no longer works in Faceboo

Post by brawnymike » Wed May 15, 2013 10:43 pm

It hasn't worked for a while, and I'm pretty sure that it is Facebook-specific rather than AB-specific. It stopped working concurrent with an upgrade to Facebook about ... 6 months ago, maybe? My take is that Facebook has redefined all "drag & drop" actions to be, instead, "drag & drop into the update status input box." At least, that's how it was behaving when the change first happened. I would try to open a link through drag & drop, and it would throw the link's url into the update status input box. I don't know if it still behaves that way, because I've since trained myself not to use drag & drop whilst on Facebook.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri May 17, 2013 9:13 pm

What I'm seeing is, when I drag a link, I get the visual copy of the link, but instead of the little + icon below it, there's a small dotted rectangle. When I drop the link, nothing happens. I tried dropping it in the Facebook search bar too, and that had no effect either. I wasn't using Facebook very much for awhile, so I don't know when it stopped working. I just noticed it on Tuesday.

Is the "super drag and drop to open new tab" a function of Avant, or is it a standard function that can be implemented in any app?

aleccela
Windows Version: WinXP
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013.107
IE Version: 8.0

Post by aleccela » Sat May 18, 2013 7:11 pm

mbrazil wrote:What I'm seeing is, when I drag a link, I get the visual copy of the link, but instead of the little + icon below it, there's a small dotted rectangle. When I drop the link, nothing happens. I tried dropping it in the Facebook search bar too, and that had no effect either. I wasn't using Facebook very much for awhile, so I don't know when it stopped working. I just noticed it on Tuesday.

Is the "super drag and drop to open new tab" a function of Avant, or is it a standard function that can be implemented in any app?
Try dropping it in the tabs bar. If you drop it on an existing tab, you'll change it, but if you drop it on a hollow, you'll get a new tab :wink:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun May 19, 2013 1:19 am

aleccela wrote:Try dropping it in the tabs bar. If you drop it on an existing tab, you'll change it, but if you drop it on a hollow, you'll get a new tab :wink:
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, and it helps.

I don't know if the drag-and-drop not working within the page is an Avant problem, if it's just Facebook making stupid changes again, or if it's a combination of both.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed May 29, 2013 4:38 am

Update: I don't know why I didn't try this sooner, but I just noticed that Ctrl+drag does work in Facebook to open the link in a new tab. :thumbup: :D

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Wed May 29, 2013 10:59 pm

mbrazil wrote:Update: I don't know why I didn't try this sooner, but I just noticed that Ctrl+drag does work in Facebook to open the link in a new tab. :thumbup: :D
Just tried this, but without success. Although Ctrl+drag DID give me the correct cursor (like a little rectangle with something in it [a dot? a plus sign?]), no webpage opened when I dragged to anywhere on the screen other than the tab bar, where simple drag & drop already works.

:(