Crashes on Close, IE Bookmarks won't move...

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

spaztech
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Always the Latest
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: Always the Latest
Skin: Tristan

Crashes on Close, IE Bookmarks won't move...

Post by spaztech » Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Have just downloaded the latest Avant Browser Ultimate 2013 Build 107.
I run 2 pc's both with different OS's (windows xp sp3, and windows 8 ) but the same Avant configurations. On both pc's I use
Avant's IE8 Standards Rendering Engine. I have different problems per pc.

With Windows XP SP3 on custom built desktop:
Avant will freeze or lock-up as if the pc has froze, but only the browser is affected. Upon attempting to close the browser (using the 'x' in the upper right corner, or, right-clicking on the icon in the task bar and selecting 'close') the browser will not respond. Using Ctrl, Alt, Del, the browser will close, only to re-open again. After several tries with 'Task Manager', it will finally stay closed.

With Windows 8 on Toshiba Laptop:
Avant is set up to show IE bookmarks on the tool bar. After the install of the new Avant Browser, I found some of the bookmarks had moved. Instead of the pre-set alphabetical placement for the bookmarks, I set them in an order of most used. Since it was out of order, I attemped to move the bookmarks back. First trying drag-n-drop, I tried to move a bookmark. Instead of staying where I had 'drag-n-dropped' it, it immediately went into the 'more buttons' at the end of my bookmarks. from there, I found I could drag bookmarks into there, but not out of there. So, I tried 'maximizing' the browser, but I have enough bookmarks that the 'more buttons' was still there. So, I deleted the bookmark, then made a new bookmark, labeling it 'a', this set the bookmark to the first bookmark. However, still cannot be 'drag-n-dropped' without going to 'more buttons'. It seems this may tell us that the browser is still using an alphabetical placement.

While writing this Avant Forum Bug Report, using my Windows 8, the browser crashed. This is not new with the latest browser, I have many times typed many lines, only to have the browser crash, losing all of my typing. Cannot copy/paste, it is a complete loss.

Any Ideas?

spaztech

Re: Crashes on Close, IE Bookmarks won't move...

Post by spaztech » Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

After restarting the Windows 8 Laptop, the bookmark has gone back to the bookmark's 'more buttons'. So Avant is not saving the bookmark's place?

Also, stated both pc's were using IE8 Rendering engine. Correction: WinXP is using IE8 Rendering, Win8 is using IE10 Rendering Engine.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 am

spaztech wrote:After restarting the Windows 8 Laptop, the bookmark has gone back to the bookmark's 'more buttons'. So Avant is not saving the bookmark's place?

Also, stated both pc's were using IE8 Rendering engine. Correction: WinXP is using IE8 Rendering, Win8 is using IE10 Rendering Engine.
Confirmed.

BTW, right click a link on bookmarks bar, you can set the bookmarks sort by name/created/visited.

spaztech

Post by spaztech » Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am

Well I found sort by name, did not find the others. Since I found only the one, I tried it to see if the others came up, they didn't, now I am stuck with sorted by name.
However, when trying to move a bookmark, I still have the same problem (plus the rest are in alphebetical order).

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue May 14, 2013 1:51 am

spaztech wrote:Well I found sort by name, did not find the others. Since I found only the one, I tried it to see if the others came up, they didn't, now I am stuck with sorted by name.
It seems that you're using IE favorites in Avant. The three options only avaiblae when using Avan's own bookmarks.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:27 am

xiaobing wrote:
spaztech wrote:After restarting the Windows 8 Laptop, the bookmark has gone back to the bookmark's 'more buttons'. So Avant is not saving the bookmark's place?

Confirmed.

BTW, right click a link on bookmarks bar, you can set the bookmarks sort by name/created/visited.
Fixed in 2013 build 108

spaztech

Post by spaztech » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am

Thank you...the latest Avant Browser has solved the bookmark problem on my windows 8 laptop. I did find the install and the first running of the latest Avant Browser was extremely slow, appeared to be froze at times, but continued to complete the install, and to load the first run web page. Upon second run, the browser progressed normally. My windows XP pc install and first run were normal. Could there be a conflict with Windows 8 and the installer?