Toolbar lock is not universally effective

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Toolbar lock is not universally effective

Post by mbrazil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:11 am

The first screenshot below shows part of the Bookmarks Toolbar on the left and part of the Standard Buttons toolbar on the right. This is the way I've set them up and the way I want them to stay unless I change them myself. The toolbars are locked.
my toolbars.jpg
my toolbars.jpg (2.63 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
The second screenshot shows the same toolbars as the first one. The only thing I did in between taking the two screenshots was to access the Avant Browser Options (I made no changes to any of the options and clicked the Cancel button, but the same thing happens if I click the OK or Apply button). I also made no changes to any of the toolbars, which remained locked the entire time. This should not happen, but it does happen every time I access the Avant Browser Options. No other toolbars are affected, and I've never had this happen except after accessing the Avant Browser Options.
bad toolbar.jpg
bad toolbar.jpg (2.96 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
All I have to do to get the Standard Buttons toolbar to move back where I'd put it is to unlock and relock the toolbars (View > Lock the Toolbars > repeat), so it's not a big deal to fix, but I have to do it every time after using Avant Browser Options, which is a PITA.

In the process of pinning down the symptoms and steps to reproduce this, I came across another oddity. When I click any of the buttons at the lower-right in the Avant Browser Options window (OK, Cancel, or Apply), there is a short delay (a couple of seconds) during which the Avant UI is non-responsive. Then, the toolbars jump around a bit and then settle down and become responsive again (with the Standard Buttons bar left in the wrong place). However, if I click the close (X) button at the top of the Avant Browser Options window, there is no delay, and the toolbars are not affected at all. It seems odd that the behavior is different when you click the close (X) button than it is when you click the Cancel button. The Cancel button should have the exact same effect that the close (X) button has.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Re: Toolbar lock is not universally effective

Post by brawnymike » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:24 pm

mbrazil wrote:The Cancel button should have the exact same effect that the close (X) button has.
There you go, being all logical, again. :lol:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

brawnymike wrote:There you go, being all logical, again. :lol:
Maybe that's why my wife calls me Mr. Spock on occasion. :D

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 am

How do you add space between bookmark icons? I remembered you said it before but i didn't find it.
Are there two spaces on the right of Avant icon?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:42 am

I'll answer the second question first. :D There are no spacers after the Avant icon. That space is created by the position of the left end of the Standard Buttons toolbar.

The spacers are link icons that point to a dummy "site" on my system that identifies a blank icon I created as the favicon.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 am

I didn't see the first problem.The second one is confirmed.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 am

Well, the screenshots prove it's happening, and it's 100% repeatable. I even moved the Standard Buttons bar a bit more to the right, and it still happens every time. There is now room for at least two more icons/buttons between the Avant icon and the start of the Standard Buttons bar, so there's no reason why the size and positions of the two toolbars should be changing. I can drag the Standard Buttons bar to the left until it almost touches the Avant icon, so there's nothing between the Avant icon and the Standard Buttons bar.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 am

If you don't use the space created by yourself,will the problem continue?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 am

If I take the spacers out, I can't reproduce the problem.

While observing the way the toolbars move around after I use the Avant Browser Options with the spacers in place in the Bookmarks Bar, I came to the conclusion that the algorithm that handles the positioning of the icons in the Bookmarks Bar is having trouble determining how wide the spacer icons are. When the toolbars are recreated after closing the Avant Browser Options dialog, the spacer icons appear to be wider than they usually are for about a second. Then, when the toolbars finish their little dance, they get about a third narrower. During the short time they are wider than they should be, the overall length of the Bookmarks Bar increases to compensate, pushing the Standard Buttons Bar to the right, where it ends up as shown in my second screenshot.

This explains what happens, so now we have to figure out why Avant is having trouble determining the size of the spacer icons. The spacer icons are just a 16x16-pixel square that is all one color, and they're saved with that color as the transparency color, so they're a transparent 16x16-pixel square in the standard Windows .ico format. I can't think of any reason why that would cause a problem for Avant when it positions the icons in the Bookmarks Bar, but something is obviously causing it.

Have you got any ideas? If there's some modification I can make to the icon file that would prevent the problem from occurring, I'll do that, and that will solve my problem. However, there's apparently still a bug somewhere, because Avant shouldn't be experiencing any problem positioning icons that are as simple as this one. There might be other icons for actual websites that would cause the same type of aberrant behavior to occur.

This brings up another question: why is it necessary to rebuild the toolbars when the Avant Browser Options dialog is closed and nothing has been changed that affects the toolbars? Also, if there is a good reason for this, why does it still occur when the Cancel button is used? I think this part of the code should be reworked so that nothing is done to the toolbars unless you change something in the Avant Browser Options that directly affects the appearance of the toolbars. This would also reduce the amount of time during which the UI is frozen while changes are applied immediately after the Avant Browser Options dialog is closed.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 am

I have recorded your opinion about this problem.