Avant Browser 2012 Ultimate 2012 Build 197

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

trickster
Avant Version:

Avant Browser 2012 Ultimate 2012 Build 197

Post by trickster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

It crashes constantly. Like 3-5 minutes apart. Especially on Facebook, if you so much as look at it funny. It even crashed when I was writing this post (oh, the irony!). I'm running Windows 8 on a Sony Vaio laptop with 4 GB DDR3 and a Dual Core Celeron.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Avant Browser 2012 Ultimate 2012 Build 197

Post by xiaobing » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:28 am

I notice you are using IE compaitble engine in Avant, do you have the same problem using IE 10 engine?

trickster
Avant Version:

Post by trickster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 am

I didn't say I was using the compatible engine. I am using IE 10. And I forgot to mention that if the screensaver activates, once I click it to get back to the desktop (Windows Explorer) many tabs will crash, sometimes all of them.

trickster
Avant Version:

Post by trickster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 pm

I thought the whole point of having multiple ybrowser.exe instances was to, you know, make sure that if one of them crashes, the others don't? This is no longer the case as of late. Avant Browser crashes if you so much as look at it, without any rhyme or reason. I had to retype this reply twice because the tab crashed, and the third time I typed it out in Notepad, just to make sure, and then pasted into the forum reply window.
Now I can understand I am getting a free browser, but if you feel it's unfair for me to complain under the circumstances, feel free to charge for it. If it wasn't the only browser that has multiple rows for tabs and mouse-wheel tab switching, I would have given it up a long time ago.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm

trickster wrote:Avant Browser crashes if you so much as look at it, without any rhyme or reason.
If you look around the forum, you'll see that this kind of instability is not happening to most other users. The Firefox engine crashes somewhat frequently, but not Avant itself. I rarely experience an Avant crash.

Try a clean install of Avant. First, make a backup copy of your profile folder in a different path, then delete the current profile folder, the Avant program folder, and all of it's sub-folders. Download the Avant installer again, and reinstall it. Rather than copying your old profile over right away, set up what you need in the Avant options, and try it for awhile to see whether it still crashes. If not, close Avant, make a backup copy of your new profile folder, copy the backup of your old profile folder over the current profile folder, start Avant again, and use it awhile to see if it crashes.

If the fresh install fixes the crashing problem, but the old profile brings it back, you have a damaged profile. There's information on repairing a damaged profile in this thread: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 20#p188437. If the fresh install fixes the problem and it stays fixed even with the old profile, then you had damage to something in the original Avant installation.

trickster
Avant Version:

Post by trickster » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:52 am

mbrazil wrote: If you look around the forum, you'll see that this kind of instability is not happening to most other users. The Firefox engine crashes somewhat frequently, but not Avant itself. I rarely experience an Avant crash.

Try a clean install of Avant. First, make a backup copy of your profile folder in a different path, then delete the current profile folder, the Avant program folder, and all of it's sub-folders. Download the Avant installer again, and reinstall it. Rather than copying your old profile over right away, set up what you need in the Avant options, and try it for awhile to see whether it still crashes. If not, close Avant, make a backup copy of your new profile folder, copy the backup of your old profile folder over the current profile folder, start Avant again, and use it awhile to see if it crashes.

If the fresh install fixes the crashing problem, but the old profile brings it back, you have a damaged profile. There's information on repairing a damaged profile in this thread: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 20#p188437. If the fresh install fixes the problem and it stays fixed even with the old profile, then you had damage to something in the original Avant installation.
Actually if I look around the forum, I see a lot of complaints like this.
Here’s one. http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31901 and the excuse provided there is bogus. “The lilac page generally happens when a page hasn't responded for a certain period of time,in this case, avant considers it to be frozen and it will close the process automatically for freeing the browser from non-responding status.” When I am typing in Facebook, (that’s one of the websites which drives Avant crazy, especially the messaging) the page is definitely not frozen, and it’s not frozen pages that crash, the crashes happen without any warning, on pages that loaded without a problem and have just been sitting there idle.
And let’s face it, I remember when it was explained that the reason why the ybrowser.exe hack was added was precisely because Avant.exe would crash often and take down all the open tabs and sucked at managing memory so it's nothing new (in fact, the memory management is getting increasingly worse – try opening a few youtube tabs, it won’t take long before the browser becomes completely unusable, even if you close them, the memory isn’t released and it gets corrupted to the point where new tabs will freeze, or if they do load, you can’t switch to them and the only thing left to do is close Avant and restart it).
Not to mention websites that work in IE10 but won’t work in Avant when using the same engine (iyuterscreens.com will load a blank page in Avant when using IE 10, but will load fine in IE 10) and lots of annoying bugs.
It’s not the settings themselves that are the problem, if it was then why would Avant work relatively OK for about two days after reinstalling Windows 8 and then start crashing like crazy. But, I will follow your suggestion and see what happens. The problem is, what will I do about the autofills? I have quite a lot of them.

I’ve had four crashes today between 13:07 and 13:20 hours three of them on Facebook chat. This is the event log for one of them.
Faulting application name: ybrowser.exe, version: 12.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x50e54573
Faulting module name: atidxx32.dll, version: 8.17.10.451, time stamp: 0x501a0a26
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000624f2
Faulting process id: 0x2fcc
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce05231921c8c7
Faulting application path: C:\tools\Network & Internet\Avant Browser\ybrowser.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\atidxx32.dll
Report Id: 9dcba881-7116-11e2-be7c-083e8ec7aabe
Faulting package full name:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your problems. I think windows 8 is a very poor OS and are you useing 64 bit :think:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 am

trickster wrote:Actually if I look around the forum, I see a lot of complaints like this.
Here's how you initially described the problems you're having:
trickster wrote:Avant Browser 2012 Ultimate 2012 Build 197 It crashes constantly. Like 3-5 minutes apart. Especially on Facebook, if you so much as look at it funny. It even crashed when I was writing this post
That's why I said, "If you look around the forum, you'll see that this kind of instability is not happening to most other users." You said Avant is crashing. Apparently it's ybrowser.exe, not Avant, that's crashing. That's a rendering engine crash, not an Avant crash, which is a different thing altogether. Have you tried using the firefox engine or the chrome engine on the sites you're experiencing ybrowser crashes on to see if that makes any difference?

I don't use the IE engine for most of my browsing, but for a long time, I was having problems with the firefox engine (firefox.exe) crashing frequently. I'm now running Avant Ultimate 2013 beta 6, and the firefox engine rarely crashes anymore. Maybe you should try the current beta instead of the 2012 version. In my experience with it, the 2013 beta is more stable and more responsive than any version of Avant 2012 was.
trickster wrote:Avant.exe would crash often and take down all the open tabs
Again, if all the open tabs crash, but you can refresh them in Avant to bring them back, Avant did not crash.
trickster wrote:and sucked at managing memory so it's nothing new
Right now, I'm running Avant 2013 Ultimate beta 2 using the firefox engine with 32 tabs open (it's been running for over eight hours). Avant itself is using approximately 10.5 MB, and the firefox engine is using approximately 220 MB. Overall, with seven apps, including Avant, running and some other stuff running in the background, I have 925 MB of RAM in use and over 3 GB free. That seems like pretty good memory management to me.
trickster wrote:try opening a few youtube tabs
I never have more than one YouTube tab open at a time, and I can't think of any reason why I'd want to. I can only watch one video at a time. Maybe multiple YouTube tabs is one of the reasons you're seeing high memory usage and frequent ybrowser crashes. Each YouTube tab is bound to use a lot of memory.
trickster wrote:the only thing left to do is close Avant and restart it
Using the firefox engine, I have only one instance of firefox.exe running. If I'm having a problem, and the firefox engine hasn't crashed, I simply terminate firefox.exe and do a Refresh All. There's no need to close and restart Avant. I've also found that when a page doesn't seem to be responding properly, I can frequently restore it to normal operation by minimizing Avant to its tray icon and then restoring it. Yes, these are workarounds, and the problems requiring them should be fixed, but these workarounds reduce the frustration of dealing with the problems until they're fixed.

I prefer the firefox engine for many reasons, and avoiding multiple instances of ybrowser.exe is one of them. In my experience with Avant 2012 and the Avant 2013 betas, the firefox engine is the most stable, easiest to manage, and uses the least memory. There are lots of other advantages too, like the large number of available plugins and extensions. Incidentally, I have 16 firefox extensions installed and active, and even with these extensions, I'm not experiencing memory or stability problems. I do have a few sites that don't work properly with the firefox engine, so I've got those sites set to open with the IE engine.
trickster wrote:It’s not the settings themselves that are the problem, if it was then why would Avant work relatively OK for about two days after reinstalling Windows 8 and then start crashing like crazy. But, I will follow your suggestion and see what happens.
I have no personal experience with Windows 8, and from most of what I've read about it, I don't expect to ever give it a try unless I'm forced to. I tried Vista and went back to XP SP3. I tried Win 7 for awhile and went back to XP SP3. I don't use a tablet or a touch-screen monitor, so much of Windows 8 is just extra overhead for me, and I can't stand the interface. Maybe Windows 8 is part of the reason you're having these problems.
trickster wrote:The problem is, what will I do about the autofills? I have quite a lot of them.
Just back them up (Tools > Backup/Restore Profiles), make a copy of the backup in another location before uninstalling (copy the profile.backup folder that's in your Avant Profiles folder), and restore the autofills after you reinstall.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 am

Fixed in beta 8