Something went wrong with this page

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Re: Something went wrong with this page

Post by notestracker » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:35 pm

Tinman57 wrote:Firefox supposedly fixed their memory leak problem in version 15 (I think). With that many tabs open and any flash apps running on the pages, you could either be running out of CPU cycles or RAM. What does the task manager have to say about the CPU and RAM with this many tabs open?
Believe it or not, I got the dreaded error message while I was reading this thread a minute or two ago. And notably this was with just a single row of 12 tabs open (rather than my usual 4, 5 or 6 rows open), so the number of open tabs may not be all that significant after all.

This is all with Avant Ultimate 2012 build 193 (Firefox rendering mode) under 64-bit Windows 7, running on my new 8-core desktop with 32 GB of RAM and a fast Intel SSD for the C: drive, which pretty much rules lack of processor power and RAM being the cause. Firefox 17.0.1 was also running, with 6 windows open and a total of about 40-50 tabs there. I've always wondered if the cause of the crashes MIGHT be due to some sort of inter-process interaction between Gecko engine components of Avant and Firefox, with Flash also being a suspect (just a stab in the dark). Or, as I guessed a year or so ago, problems caused by several of the Windows internal limits being reached at times. ... It's all rather complex!
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

piercet
Windows Version: 7 Ultimate x64 W/ SP1
Avant Version: latest build.
IE Version: 9

Post by piercet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:54 am

I can regularily crash ebay with a single tab open without too much effort. The only thing that seems to increase the frequincy of crash is the number of images with flash tie ins or mouseovers.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:04 am

My Firefox crashed, all by itself, a minute ago. What caused this? Who knows, perhaps it was Flash?

Flash is bad -- See https://www.google.com/search?q=badly+d ... Flash+apps and https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo ... Flash+apps and https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo ... s+crashing

But unfortunately, since years ago Flash is here to stay ... http://devgrow.com/why-flash-is-here-to-stay/ ...
Sigh :(
Tony Austin

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:48 am

piercet wrote:Last one. Sorry for the spam.
Tis not a spam unless your soliciting something for sale or profit...
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

lefreak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Windows Traditional

Post by lefreak » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Jasmine wrote:This is fixed in avant 2012 build 193.
Sorry, it's not fixed, I still see it every day. Apart from that, beginning from build 193, I got a lot of 100% CPU with certain pages

A lot of pages on handelsblatt.com or spiegel.de, if I have more than 2 tabs on that domains opened.
For example with these pages I get 100 % CPU, that never happened with previous versions of Avant Ultimate (I always use Firefox engine) on my computer...

Page 1 http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 06176.html
Page 2 http://www.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen ... 176-4.html

I have Flash disabled, but it still happens, 100% CPU and the lilac page. Build 192 was better I think

I am still using Windows XP SP3, AMD Athlon XP, 1 GB RAM

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am

I doubt that Flash is causing the firefox.exe crashes, at least in my case. firefox.exe crashes several times a day, even when there is no active Flash content in any of the tabs, and when none of the open tabs contain any Flash content at all. It also crashes when Avant is running in the background and even when I'm away from the computer (I'm the only user). I'll bring Avant to the foreground, or I'll return to the computer, and I'll find that firefox.exe crashed while it was in the background or while I was away (the Something went wrong... message is shown for all open tabs, and firefox.exe is no longer listed in the process list in Task Manager). Avant itself is unaffected, as the Avant UI components still function normally.

As I've reported before, the firefox.exe crashes seem to be directly related to an increasing lack of responsiveness to mouse and keyboard actions, such as a delayed response to hovering the mouse cursor over a link (cursor does not change to the pointing hand), delayed response to mouse clicks, delayed response when typing text, etc., within web pages. As time passes during the current firefox.exe session, the delays become more and more pronounced :thumbdown: :evil: until firefox.exe finally freezes (no response to anything in any of the tabs), and then (after a few seconds to a few minutes) firefox.exe terminates (the Avant UI itself is unaffected throughout). I've been unable to correlate the unresponsiveness to memory or CPU usage or to any other aspect of system operation. Even when the firefox.exe tabs are at the point where the freeze is about to occur or has occurred, memory consumption, CPU usage, etc. are not at higher-than-normal levels. :wtf: (The only way this affects Avant is that, once the freeze occurs, clicking on a tab button to switch to a different tab has no effect on the tab content. The button highlight does move to the clicked tab button, but nothing changes in the rendering pane.)

It's happened so often for so long that I've learned to sense when firefox.exe is about to freeze up. I even created a batch file with a shortcut to it on the desktop that terminates firefox.exe. I frequently execute the batch file as soon as firefox freezes or when the unresponsiveness becomes pronounced enough to interfere with whatever I'm doing :thumbdown: so that I don't have to put up with the frustration of the delayed responses until it finally freezes (I don't do this every time, so I still observe some of the crashes). After I terminate firefox.exe, I just hit Shift+F5 to reload all the tabs. This also prevents firefox.exe from trying to start up in Safe Mode, which is nothing but a big PITA. :evil:

This has been happening for over six months in all the various builds of Avant and of firefox.exe that have been released during that period. Whatever is causing it, I hope it can be prevented, because if I can't use the Firefox engine in Avant, I'll have to give up on Avant altogether. The IE and Chrome engines don't even come close to the performance (speed; lack of memory overload) and flexibility of the Firefox engine, and the Firefox engine is the only one of the three that has a full range of extensions available for it.

@ Jasmine: Has Anderson made any progress on this for Avant 2013? Are we still going to see any pre-release builds of 2013 before it actually becomes 2013(the year)?

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:23 am

Quoted extracts from mbrazil, with my comments in blue...

[quote="mbrazil"]I doubt that Flash is causing the firefox.exe crashes, at least in my case.
I only guessed as much, haven't got a clue in fact!

I've been unable to correlate the unresponsiveness to memory or CPU usage or to any other aspect of system operation. Even when the firefox.exe tabs are at the point where the freeze is about to occur or has occurred, memory consumption, CPU usage, etc. are not at higher-than-normal levels.
As I've mentioned several times, I can't see any pattern either.

The only way this affects Avant is that, once the freeze occurs, clicking on a tab button to switch to a different tab has no effect on the tab content. The button highlight does move to the clicked tab button, but nothing changes in the rendering pane.
This is an elegant description of what I too have experienced.

It's happened so often for so long that I've learned to sense when firefox.exe is about to freeze up. I even created a batch file with a shortcut to it on the desktop that terminates firefox.exe. I frequently execute the batch file as soon as firefox freezes or when the unresponsiveness becomes pronounced enough to interfere with whatever I'm doing.
What's in the batch file, Mike? Others might like to use this too.

This has been happening for over six months in all the various builds of Avant and of firefox.exe that have been released during that period. Whatever is causing it, I hope it can be prevented, because if I can't use the Firefox engine in Avant, I'll have to give up on Avant altogether. The IE and Chrome engines don't even come close to the performance (speed; lack of memory overload) and flexibility of the Firefox engine, and the Firefox engine is the only one of the three that has a full range of extensions available for it.
Agree. But even though I could give up using Avant and run entirely with Firefox, still there are some unique functions and behaviors of Avant that I've come to like (such as Groups, would you believe) so that I'll keep using Avant.
Tony Austin

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 am

notestracker wrote:This is an elegant description of what I too have experienced.
:)
notestracker wrote:What's in the batch file, Mike? Others might like to use this too.
It's a very simple batch file:

@ ECHO OFF
TASKKILL /F /IM FIREFOX.EXE

/F specifies that taskkill should forcibly terminate the process.
/IM specifies the name of the process to terminate (IM stands for Image Name).

For more information on taskkill.exe, just type taskkill /? in a command prompt window.
notestracker wrote:Agree. But even though I could give up using Avant and run entirely with Firefox, still there are some unique functions and behaviors of Avant that I've come to like (such as Groups, would you believe) so that I'll keep using Avant.
I'd really have a hard time if I had to give up on Avant too. There are so many good features that I'd miss. I just don't know how much longer I can put up with the firefox crashes and a few of the other outstanding bugs.

piercet
Windows Version: 7 Ultimate x64 W/ SP1
Avant Version: latest build.

Post by piercet » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Just an update, Avant 2012 build 197 appears to have fixed this issue entirely for me. 20 minutes without a crash on ebay now so far with my deliberatly trying to get it to crash.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 pm

piercet wrote:Just an update, Avant 2012 build 197 appears to have fixed this issue entirely for me. 20 minutes without a crash on ebay now so far with my deliberatly trying to get it to crash.
It does seem to go somewhat longer in 197 before firefox.exe crashes, but it still crashes.