Weird url when clicking link in email

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Kand.in.Sky
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3 (incl. all Updates)
Avant Version: PaleMoon 21+ (always latest)
Default engine: Mozilla
IE Version: 8 (latest for XP)
Skin: Qute 3++ (for PaleMoon)

Link goes wrong

Post by Kand.in.Sky » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Sometimes when clicking on a link from other prgrams, like email, AVANT does not open it, it just goes wrong and the google search appears

example
https://www.google.de/search?q=Mg0KMjY5 ... Fsay5kZQ0K

this was a link from a email

i cannot reproduce it, sometimes i can click on 20 links with no errors, sometimes only one is enough. This error never happen after another two times.

Avant 2012 180, gecko engine

regards,
#k.
"In zweifelhaften Faellen entscheide man sich fuer das Richtige." (K.Kraus) /
Support your local anti-geek team!

Kand.in.Sky
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Re: Link goes wrong

Post by Kand.in.Sky » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 am

another one
https://www.google.de/search?q=Mg0KMjU1 ... HoBQ&gbv=2

this one was the 5th link opened from a email using outlook express.

this is annoying to check everytime if the link was correct displayed. :-(

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 am

The links you gave are the results of the original links in Avant?

Can you forward the email with the original link to support#avantbrowser.com?

And the mail you use is outlook?

Kand.in.Sky
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by Kand.in.Sky » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:44 am

the links were the results displayed bei AVANT.

it does no matter which other programs are used, it is the same thing when clicking on links in a chat client or from a PDF document.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Weird url when clicking link in email

Post by mbrazil » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:45 pm

This has been happening somewhat frequently starting with build 181 (it never happened prior to build 181). When I click a link embedded in an email, Avant somehow corrupts the link as it receives it. For example, I clicked on this link in an email:
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Order-Status, but when Avant opened a tab in response, the URL it tried to load was: -www.mg0kmjqzmdqncjencmh0dha6ly93d3cuywfycc5vcmcvcmvsyxrpb25zaglwcy9mcmllbmrzlwzhbwlses9ncmfuzhbhcmvudhnfzgf5lz9jbxa
9tkxdlvjtuy1equlmws1cvuxmrvrjti0wota3mtitsdencmzzci5hptezndcymzi2nje3mdc7cgf0ad0vow0k.com. (I added the red dash at the beginning to stop the forum software from treating it as a URL so the entire string would be shown. The dot following the .com is part of the string.)

If I click the link in the email another time without doing anything else, it is usually processed correctly, and the site usually loads properly. I don't think this is a problem with my email client (Outlook Express), because I have not changed anything relating to email in a very long time, and Outlook Express is working properly in all other respects.

Also, the www. is sometimes missing, so instead of trying to open the link, Avant sends the string to my default search engine.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Re: Weird url when clicking link in email

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:55 am

mbrazil wrote:This has been happening somewhat frequently starting with build 181 (it never happened prior to build 181). When I click a link embedded in an email, Avant somehow corrupts the link as it receives it. For example, I clicked on this link in an email:
http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Order-Status, but when Avant opened a tab in response, the URL it tried to load was: -www.mg0kmjqzmdqncjencmh0dha6ly93d3cuywfycc5vcmcvcmvsyxrpb25zaglwcy9mcmllbmrzlwzhbwlses9ncmfuzhbhcmvudhnfzgf5lz9jbxa
9tkxdlvjtuy1equlmws1cvuxmrvrjti0wota3mtitsdencmzzci5hptezndcymzi2nje3mdc7cgf0ad0vow0k.com. (I added the red dash at the beginning to stop the forum software from treating it as a URL so the entire string would be shown. The dot following the .com is part of the string.)

If I click the link in the email another time without doing anything else, it is usually processed correctly, and the site usually loads properly. I don't think this is a problem with my email client (Outlook Express), because I have not changed anything relating to email in a very long time, and Outlook Express is working properly in all other respects.

Also, the www. is sometimes missing, so instead of trying to open the link, Avant sends the string to my default search engine.
Obviously a badly encoded link that was encoded to view your specific order. I've come across bad links like that before that was generated by a web site and sent to my email, and I use OE 6 for my email viewing. I've come across some that were so buggy that I had to copy and paste the link in the address bar to get it to load properly, and sometimes even then that wouldn't work. I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with how it's parsed, or something like that.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 am

Tinman57 wrote:Obviously a badly encoded link that was encoded to view your specific order. I've come across bad links like that before that was generated by a web site and sent to my email, and I use OE 6 for my email viewing. I've come across some that were so buggy that I had to copy and paste the link in the address bar to get it to load properly, and sometimes even then that wouldn't work. I think I read somewhere that it has something to do with how it's parsed, or something like that.
Actually, that's not the case. Take another look at the URL -- it doesn't include any information related to the order or who placed it. It takes you to a page where you have to enter the order number, your email address, and your zip code. That was just an example anyway. I've had it happen with many different URLs, and there's no similarity or pattern. It's random.

Even if that were the case, look at the string Avant shows it's trying to use to open the site. It's not a valid URL at all, just a bunch of random characters ending with .com. (including the final dot). When I click the link again, and it opens correctly in Avant, the address shown in the address bar is https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Order-Status so it hasn't been modified in any way, and there's nothing but the domain name and the page address (/Order-Status) to parse.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 pm

mbrazil wrote:Actually, that's not the case. Take another look at the URL -- it doesn't include any information related to the order or who placed it. It takes you to a page where you have to enter the order number, your email address, and your zip code. That was just an example anyway. I've had it happen with many different URLs, and there's no similarity or pattern. It's random.
Even if that were the case, look at the string Avant shows it's trying to use to open the site. It's not a valid URL at all, just a bunch of random characters ending with .com. (including the final dot). When I click the link again, and it opens correctly in Avant, the address shown in the address bar is https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com/Order-Status so it hasn't been modified in any way, and there's nothing but the domain name and the page address (/Order-Status) to parse.
Strange indeed. I haven't come across this problem in a long long time, and I'm using XP with Avant build 181. Do you have any anti-virus or other apps that check the urls you click in the background and allows or disallows the click? Perhaps that may be munging certain urls, I've had that problem in the past. Just a wild guess since no one else seems to be jumping in on this problem....
((((TINMAN))))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 am

Tinman57 wrote: no one else seems to be jumping in on this problem....
Somehow or other this thread, which I just started yesterday, is now appended to a different one (http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 05#p186263) from last month. Maybe that's why no one else has replied.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:02 am

It just did it again, but this time the string wasn't configured as a URL (no http://, etc.), so it went to search. This was the string:

Mg0KMzg4NTINCjENCmh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWFycC5vcmcvcmVsYXRpb25zaGlwcy9mcmllbmRzLWZhbWlseS9ncmFuZHBhcmVudHNfZGF5Lz9jbXA9TkxDLVJTUy1EQUlMWS1CVUxMRVRJTi0wOTA3MTItSDENCmZzci5hPTEzNDczMzkwMjgxMzc7cGF0aD0vO2RvbWFpbj1hYXJwLm9yZzsNCg

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:56 pm

mbrazil wrote:This has been happening somewhat frequently starting with build 181 (it never happened prior to build 181). When I click a link embedded in an email, Avant somehow corrupts the link as it receives it. For example, I clicked on this link in an email:

The more I think about it the more it looks like some kind of hijacking malware. I'm going to assume that you scan your computer with more than just your normal anti-virus.
And I'll also suppose you've checked this problem with your add-ons disabled to make sure that's not a problem.

Other than that, you can try resetting your TCP/IP stack and flushing your DNS:
· Click Start
· Click All Programs
· Click Accessories
· Click Command Prompt (if you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to: right click Command Prompt and click Run as Administrator)

· Enter these commands individually:

o IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
o NBTSTAT –R
o NBTSTAT –RR
o NETSH INT IP RESET
o NETSH WINSOCK RESET

· Restart your computer

You may also try resetting your host file back to it's default.

OK, now I'm REALLY out of idea's......
((((TINMAN))))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:19 am

Tinman57 wrote:The more I think about it the more it looks like some kind of hijacking malware. I'm going to assume that you scan your computer with more than just your normal anti-virus.
If it's malware, it's poorly written malware, since all it manages to accomplish is to replace the URL with garbage. It happens sometimes once or twice a day, and other times not for several days, so there's no way I can disable all my extensions and plugins and still get anything done while waiting for several days.

I'm running Norton Internet Security 2013, which includes antivirus, antispyware, firewall, etc., and it scans whenever I'm not using the computer in addition to real-time protection. It also does a deep scan once a week. Norton's pretty good, but none of them are perfect, so in addition, I run Microsoft Windows Defender Offline (used to be called Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper) every couple of weeks, and I ran it last weekend. If you're not familiar with it, it creates bootable media that downloads the most current definitions and then checks your system without loading Windows from your drive. It's very thorough and can detect all types of malware. More information at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... er-offline. I also use OpenDNS and DNSCrypt (http://www.opendns.com).

I keep a close eye on my hosts and lmhosts files. Here's the entire contents:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 w #PRE
192.168.1.5 e #PRE
192.168.1.4 m #PRE
192.168.1.10 prtr #PRE
192.168.1.254 rtr #PRE

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Mg0KNTMzOTYNCjENCmh0dHA6Ly93d3cuaHVmZmluZ3RvbnBvc3QuY29tLzIwMTIvMDkvMDIvYmlsbC1tYWhlcnMtbmV3LXJ1bGUtZm9yLWdvcC1nZW9yZ2Utdy1idXNoX25fMTg1MDI1MC5odG1sDQpzX3Nlc3M9JTIwc19jYyUzRHRydWUlM0IlMjBzX3NxJTNEJTNCOyBwYXRoPS87IGRvbWFpbj0uaHVmZmluZ3RvbnBvc3QuY29tOw

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:27 am

Mg0KNTM4MjQNCjENCmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbS8NCnByZXNlbmNlPUVNMzQ3NDk5MDY2RXVzZXJGQTIxMzc1NTc1MDgzQTJFc3RhdGVGRHNiMkYxMzQ3NDg0NDc1NTE3RXQyRl81Yl81ZEVsbTJGbnVsbEV1Y3QyRjEzNDc0ODQ0NzU1MTlFdHJGQTJsb2FkQTJFdHdGNTUwNzA0MTc3RWF0RjEzNDc0OTYzNDYwNjdHMzQ3NDk5MDY2NDgzQ0VjaEZEcF81ZjEzNzU1NzUwODNGMzVDQzsgcGF0aD0vOyBkb21haW49LmZhY2Vib29rLmNvbTsgc2VjdXJlDQo=

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:17 am

Is the problem related with the search engine you use? I tried some links in outlook but failed to reproduce it.
How many times it happens per day?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:20 am

xiaobing wrote:Is the problem related with the search engine you use? I tried some links in outlook but failed to reproduce it.
How many times it happens per day?
I use Google, but I'm not trying to search at all when it happens. I click a link in an email (it can happen with any link) in Outlook Express, NOT Outlook), and instead of seeing the URL in the address bar, I see the strings I've been posting. When the string includes http:// it attempts to load the string, which is a nonexistent address. When the string doesn't include http:// it searches from the address bar, so the string ends up there and in the search bar.

As I said earlier a couple of times, it sometimes happens a few times a day and sometimes not at all for a few days. It's unpredictable.

I can't really test without addons or plugins, and I can't really test with another engine or browser, since it may not happen for days, and I can't get much of anything done without my firefox extensions.

It's possible the problem is in Outlook Express, but I've been using it for years, and this never happened until recently. I don't know if it started with Avant build 181, but I know I wasn't seeing the problem with any of the earlier builds. I suppose it could also be in the released version of the firefox 15 engine, since that was new with 181 also.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:18 am

Ever since win 7 i get emails like that but it comes like that and is from my hotmail. :) win 7 doesnot come with outlook you have to get office.

sulpherdragon
Contributor
Contributor
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2013 Build 23
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version:
Skin:

Post by sulpherdragon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:49 am

Those strings are base64 encoded orders sent to Avant. I've decoded one, it says:
"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/0 ... 50250.html
s_sess=%20s_cc%3Dtrue%3B%20s_sq%3D%3B; path=/; domain=.huffingtonpost.com;
"
(You can use my multitool to decode it).

These strings should be detected by Avant and decoded correctly, however something is preventing it from happening. They include your session ID and some other data, so I would recommend you don't post anymore. I have never had this issue. I hope that explains what is actually occurring.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks sulpherdragon. Do you see anything wrong with any of the strings I posted? If they're not damaged, it seems like the problem would be in Avant, since I copied them directly from either the address bar or the search bar directly in Avant. If they are damaged, then the problem could be in Outlook Express or something between Outlook Express and Avant, if there is anything in between other than some of the Windows XP code itself.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:37 am

The problem has been recorded.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com