Issue with IE and Avant using WYSIWYG Toolbar

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

eric859
Windows Version: Windows 7 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 build 110
Default engine: IE
IE Version: 10.0.9200.16521
Skin: Crystal

Issue with IE and Avant using WYSIWYG Toolbar

Post by eric859 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:25 am

This issue has been going on for years and I recently narrowed it down to Avant. I belong to a forum which I regularly post messages. When you click on Post new Message, it displays a WYSIWYG message editor with a toolbar shown in the top of the message body window. For some reason I've never seen this toolbar in IE or Avant. I can only see it in Firefox and Chrome directly. I can still post a message, but all blank lines get stripped and the message looks bad, so I've been using Firefox or Chrome to post messages. I am the only person on the forum with this issue, so I took some time to troubleshoot this issue today and this is what I found:

I uninstalled Avant and reset all IE settings to default from the Advanced tab in Internet Options. IE now sees the toolbar in the editor. Problem solved. I reinstalled Avant, to see if I can see the toolbar in Avant. I cannot. I go back into IE and refresh the post new message page. IE no longer sees the toolbar. I go back into Internet Options and reset settings. I now can see the toolbar again. I go into Avant, no toolbar. After several different iterations of this test, I have found that installing Avant changes something to stop the toolbar from appearing in IE until I reset all setting to default. I have yet to see the toolbar in Avant Ultimate using any engine.

This problem has been happening ever since I joined the forum a couple years ago. At that time I was using a much older version of Avant and IE. This leads me to believe that Avant has been the problem since the beginning.

Using:
Windows 7 64bit
Avant Ultimate2012 169
IE v9

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Issue with IE and Avant using WYSIWYG Toolbar

Post by xiaobing » Wed May 16, 2012 1:51 am

Can you give me the link of the forum?

eric859

Post by eric859 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:17 am

Unfortunately, it's a private forum for a professional organization I belong to. Here are some screen captures.
Attachments
Screen Capture Without Toolbar.jpg
In Avant without toolbar
Screen Capture With Toolbar.jpg
IE with toolbar

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Wed May 16, 2012 6:13 am

Can you right click on the page with the editor toolbar, choose "View Source", and send us the source code?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

eric859

Post by eric859 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:53 pm

I sent it directly to you as a private message because it had site specific information in it.

Thanks!
Eric

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 am

Thank you! I'll transfer it to the developer.
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 am

Did you mean that in firefox and chrome rendering mode of avant browser, the toolbar appeared alright?
Are you sure you have set ie9 standards mode but not ie compatible mode as the default rendering engine when it doesn't appear in avant browser? If you are sure you use ie9 rendering mode, does it make a difference if switching to ie compatible mode?

eric859

Post by eric859 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

No, I'm saying that the toolbar doesn't show in any rendering mode of Avant. I've tried them all. It only consistently showed in Firefox and Chrome directly. It wouldn't even show in IE v9. So I did some troubleshooting. Here is what I found:

I uninstalled Avant. I reset IE 9 settings to default from the Advanced tab in Internet Options. I restarted IE and could then see the toolbar from IE 9. Now at this point I can see the toolbar in all browsers asside from Avant since it's not installed. I then installed Avant, ran it once and closed it without even going to a web site. I closed it from File -> exit. I started IE, went to the post new message page and could not longer see the toolbar. Therefore, simply installing Avant and running it once broke the toolbar in IE. I could get the toolbar back again by reseting settings to default in IE, but as soon as I close IE, start Avant, close Avant, restart IE, the toolbar is broken again.

For some reason Avant is breaking the toolbar for itself and IE as soon as it runs. But, it has no effect on Firefox and Chrome. I can always see the toolbar when using those 2 browsers directly.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you
Eric

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sun May 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Have you tried to disable the following:
Tools >> Enable AD Blocker
Tools >> Block Unwanted Pop-up Pages
..or any of the others, such as scripts?

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

eric859

Post by eric859 » Mon May 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes, I have tried disabling many options. I just tried again with the options you posted. No luck. Anyway, why would those option in Avant break the toolbar in IE directly? Something must get changed in IE when Avant is installed and run for the first time in order for IE to stop showing the toolbar.

Thanks!
Eric

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon May 21, 2012 6:10 pm

eric859 wrote:Anyway, why would those option in Avant break the toolbar in IE directly?
Sorry - I did not read your first post fully. Avant should not change any IE settings so maybe your IE install is corrupted.
As you stated, the first port of call would always be to reset Internet Explorer back to its default settings.
Did you close all browsers then go to Control Panel >> Internet Options >> Advanced >> Reset
I have noticed that some programs such as Skype keep a copy of IE open in the background and prevent a full reset.

Failing that, maybe the forum looks at your browser's "user agent string" and is rendering the page accordingly.
You can find your UAS by going to http://www.useragentstring.com/

FYI, the one from your last post was:

Code: Select all

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MASM; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.2; Avant Browser)
and the one from your first post was:

Code: Select all

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; Avant Browser)
Both are different, yet both have "Avant Browser" within them - let's try changing that.
There are many utilities for configuring your UAS, but for a quick test can you do this:

- Set Avant Browser to use the Mozilla Firefox rengering agent
- Go to: about:config
- Click to dismiss the warning message
- Right click the bottom panel and select: New >> String
- Set the preference name to: general.useragent.override
- Set the sting value to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko Firefox/11.0
- Check that the UAS has changed by returning to: http://www.useragentstring.com/
- If OK then try going back to the forum (you may have to clear your history first)

This effectively makes Avant look like plain Firefox. Clutching at straws, I know, but please report back on the result.

eric859

Post by eric859 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I believe you found the problem!!! Overriding the UserAgentString in Avant using the Mozilla engine allows me to view the toolbar in Avant using that engine. So, I went to the UserAgentString.com in IE and noticed that "Avant Browser" was appended to the string. I reset all settings to default in IE, restarted IE and verified that I could now see the toolbar. Browsing to UserAgentString.com showed that "Avant Browser" was removed from the string. As soon as I restarted Avant Browser(without even going to a web site yet) and browsed back to UserAgentString.com in IE, I noticed that Avant Browser was added back into the string. I then went to post a new message and low and behold, the toolbar was no longer there. SUCCESS!!! That's the problem. Now I just have to find a way to stop Avant from adding itself to the UserAgentString from now on and I should be good to go. Do you know how I would do this?

Thank you!
Eric

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 pm

eric859 wrote:I believe you found the problem!!!
Glad to get a positive result... eventually.
eric859 wrote:Now I just have to find a way to stop Avant from adding itself to the UserAgentString
I'm not sure that you can, but I have previously written an article to automate the process - it is just a registry file.
Follow the instructions in User Agent String Oddities to fix your User Agent String, and keep it handy for re-use.
eric859 wrote:I should be good to go.
No - the best way to be "good to go" is to let the administrators of your forum know so they can fix their code!

eric859

Post by eric859 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:37 am

Agreed. I will let the forum admins know. Thanks again!