Avant Browser

Avant Browser community forum
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Poston: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am 

Windows Version: vista
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 8
Wel i just booted my pc and Norton says Avant has 2 cloud viruses.( see screenshot)
Both are Firefox files and now that Norton 360 has removed them Avant doesnt work anymore. :crazy: (now running the chrome engine in Avant.)
I can make an exception in Norton for those files, but i'm afraid that he doesnt scan my browser traffic at al...
Its ultimate build 167

Attachments:
Naamloos.png
Naamloos.png [ 68.43 KiB | Viewed 2112 times ]

Post Reply #1 on: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:55 pm 

Ultimate build 168 still had the same problem.

Post Reply #2 on: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:45 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: XP Pro SP3 x86 + all updates
Avant Version: 2013 Ultimate Build 23 & Build 115 (USB)
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: IE8 + all patches and updates
Skin: Monai XP
This is a problem that Symantec (Norton) has to fix, and they're aware of it. Apparently, they're either dragging their feet or just don't care.

Norton flags \Avant\gecko\freebl3.dll and \Avant\gecko\mozalloc.dll as risks (not as viruses or other malware) because their database hasn't been updated to recognize these files. Norton also flags any file with a recent file-creation date as a risk and flags any file that their "reputation database" has little or no information on as a risk. Norton needs to get their act together and stop creating false alarms based on lack of knowledge or unreasonable suspicions.

If you exclude these two files from Norton's detection, it still protects your browser and monitors all the data and files coming in or going out over the internet. You won't lose protection by telling Norton to ignore these two files, and it will restore Avant to normal operation. You'll have to remove them from Norton's quarantine or just reinstall Avant to put the files back where they belong.

Post Reply #3 on: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9
If you didnnot pay for norton switch to something else i had norton years ago i bought it and it was nothing but trouble this is my opinion. :)

Post Reply #4 on: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

Years ago, Norton WAS nothing but trouble, but since the 2010 version, it's actually pretty good. It's got a few minor glitches like the ones I described, but unless you've tried a recent version, you wouldn't believe how much they've improved it. They had to, or the product would have failed completely -- it used to be that bad, like you said. I switched to Norton starting with the 2011 version because it was rated at or near the top of the lists for every important category, including effectiveness and low resource usage. I've used it for almost two years now (currently on version 2012), and it has never failed to protect my system from all kinds of threats. There have been occasional glitches where it interfered with something I was doing, but I was always able to figure out a workaround.

I've used a number of different security solutions over the years, and in my opinion, they're all a pain in the butt to varying degrees. I don't recommend any of them, since there are so many variables in terms of user knowledge, expertise, etc. and the fact that every year it seems that they all go up or down in terms of effectiveness, resource requirements, usability, etc., etc. It's too bad there isn't one out there that's clearly in front of the pack, like Avant is in terms of browsers, but I don't think any of them are good enough for that kind of comparison.

Advising somebody to switch from something they're used to, if it's working fairly well for them, is usually not a good idea. Any reasonably good security app that you're used to and know how to configure and control is better than trying to learn the ins and outs of a new one. Nowadays, you can end up having your identity stolen by the time you figure out how to set a new security app up properly.

Post Reply #5 on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:48 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9
I wonder why Norton only takes those dlls in Avant Browser as virus but believes firefox is safe since both browsers use the same files.

Post Reply #6 on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:32 am 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

AbelAbel wrote:
I wonder why Norton only takes those dlls in Avant Browser as virus but believes firefox is safe since both browsers use the same files.

I think it's because they flag files as risks if they have a very recent time stamp. Apparently, if they don't have a file in their database that exactly matches, including the date and time of creation/modification, they consider it a risk.

Post Reply #7 on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 am 
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9
it's a pity they don't include avant browser into their database?

Post Reply #8 on: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:08 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

AbelAbel wrote:
it's a pity they don't include avant browser into their database?

It's like the issue with RoboForm. Both Siber Systems and Symantec are fairly big companies that don't really seem to care at all about any customer issues unless they affect a large enough percentage of their user base that their bottom line might be affected. I guess there aren't enough of these companies' customers using Avant for them to be willing to put any time, effort, or money into fixing problems in their own software.

Some huge corporations, Microsoft for instance, provide a lot more and better customer service and do a lot more to ensure widespread compatibility than some smaller, greedy corporations like Siber Systems and Symantec.

Post Reply #9 on: Wed May 23, 2012 12:43 pm 

Yesterday i installed the new built 171 and Norton again flagged 3 files as being suspicios.
I forwarded the files to there support desk so hopefully there are approved in the comming days.

---

Volledig pad: c:\program files (x86)\internet\avant browser\gecko\freebl3.dll
Bedreiging: Suspicious.Cloud.7.F
Aanwezig op computers vanaf 23-5-2012 om 1:55:58
Laatst gebruikt 23-5-2012 om 1:55:58
Opstartitem Nee
Gestart Nee
Hoog
Dit bestand heeft een hoog risico.

Vingerafdruk van bestand - MD5:
8274348ddeecf8f65041b9389c134498

Attachments:
Naamloos.png
Naamloos.png [ 72.1 KiB | Viewed 1970 times ]

Post Reply #10 on: Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

neo_atomic wrote:
Yesterday i installed the new built 171 and Norton again flagged 3 files as being suspicios.
I forwarded the files to there support desk so hopefully there are approved in the comming days.

Symantec would have to rework part of Norton to fix this, because it detects files with the same name but a new creation timestamp as unknown files and considers them a risk because the files aren't in their known-good database with that timestamp. They also don't provide any way to "permanently" exclude files based solely on their filenames. Adding the current files to their approved list won't help unless they provide some way to exclude new versions of the same files.

See my post at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31354.

Post Reply #11 on: Thu May 24, 2012 1:52 am 
Support Staff
Support Staff
Avant Guru

Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas
Quote:

Thank you,neo_atomic . I will report this problem to them once again.Hope this can get their attention.

Post Reply #12 on: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 pm 

Today with the install of build 187 Norton flagged again some Avant files.
I have sent the file to Norton, so hopefully they fix this within a few days.

Post Reply #13 on: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm 
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avantic Elite

neo_atomic wrote:
Today with the install of build 187 Norton flagged again some Avant files.
I have sent the file to Norton, so hopefully they fix this within a few days.

They won't fix it. Pretty much every time you install a build of Avant Ultimate, Norton will flag some of the Firefox-engine files, because they have new version numbers that it hasn't seen before, and because very few (or none) of their users have these versions installed. Usually, the files are freebl3.dll and mozalloc.dll, but I see from your screen shot that the ones it flagged this time are mozglue.dll and mozalloc.dll. Since Norton is considering these files to be risky because it has no data on the current versions, and not because it has any negative information, their system doesn't include a way for them to exclude them in the future. Every time you install a new build of Avant that includes new versions of these files, they'll flag them again.

I've notified Norton several times that this is happening and why it's happening, but they never respond or take any action. The only thing you can do is exclude them yourself. In Norton, go to:

Settings
Computer
Antivirus and SONAR Exclusions
Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR, and Download Intelligence Detection
Configure