Occasional error: Something went wrong with this webpage...

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Re: Occasional error: Something went wrong with this webpage

Post by notestracker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:38 pm

I gad done LOTS of research and testing of the pre-release betas and RTM (in virtual machines), felt pretty confident that it would work without too many problems, and the once-off offer to upgrade a newly-purchased system for only $14.99 expires at the end of this month. (I will not be upgrading my various other desktops/laptops from WIndows 7 for the forseeable future.)

The upgrade went fairly well, and because I already had Classic Start Menu (free) installed in Windows 7 [to give me the sort of menuing capabilities that I desire} it hides the stupid Windows 8 tiled "Modern UI" from me 99 percent of the time.

Also, being a big user of Windows 7 Gadgets, I have installled the (free) 8GadgetPack version 5, and it does a very good job of emulating the now-deprecated support for gadgets. The only ones that don't work are some foreign language "Learn a word per day" gadgets for which the audio fails.

Yes Mike, there's some pain involved, but I wanted to find if the numerous TECHNICAL changes -- not the UI changes -- were worthwhile. Time will tell...
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Since reporting yesterday -- under WIndows 8, but this might be a red herring -- I have had repeated "Something went wrong with this webpage" crashes, often with just a single tab open and even without Firefox being active. I have temporarily switched to IE10 Standards rendering mode to see if that's stable, but already miss the various Firefox mode features.

I have always had suspicions that there's something fundamentally flawed about how Avant renders/paints its main pane -- the central window where web page contents are displayed -- having seen some bizarre rendering effects at times, which always surprise me (I mean "WTF" moments) when they occur. Without having a clue how the rendering of the central pane is programmed, I suspect that it needs to be completelty reworked.
Tony Austin

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am

FWIW, since I finally was able to get 2013 installed and working (a couple of days ago), the number of "Something went wrong..." instances has decreased to near zero. There's no way to tell whether this has something to do with changes in 2013 or if it's something that's fixed in version 18 of the Firefox engine (I used the Firefox engine almost exclusively with 2012 and continue to do so with 2013).

Of course, since I'm running Windows XP, not 7 or 8, my experience is likely to be different from yours, Tony.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 am

mbrazil wrote:FWIW, since I finally was able to get 2013 installed and working (a couple of days ago), the number of "Something went wrong..." instances has decreased to near zero.
I am downloading it and will install right away. In focussing on the complexities of preparing for and executing the upgrade to Windows 8, I have avoided Avant 2013 beta1, but its list of enhancements look very impressive -- more excellent work by Anderson and the Avant team!

Now ready to install 2013 Beta2, and am looking forward to it. I'll definitely be focussing on running it in Firefox rendering mode, my last hour or two using IE mode have been driving me up the wall (lower productivity, due to lack of the add-ons that I use all the time in Firefox mode).
Tony Austin

pkchu520
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 10
Avant Version: Ultimate 2018 built latest
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: IE11
Skin: Crystal

Post by pkchu520 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Blue Screen of Death.PNG
Blue Screen of Death
Just came across this topic, I am also having the BSOD with Avant. It is not life threatening but mostly annoying. I using keep less than 10 opened tabs and this issue pops up about once of twice per Avant session.

Is this a known bug? I don't suppose there is a fix yet?
Pablo
Avant Browser Ultimate 2018 build latest
Default rendering engine: Chrome
IE version: IE11
Windows version: Windoes 10

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 am

It still happens to people (including myself). It's not purple anymore, but grey (gray) -- Avant's "GSOD" you could now say. In my case (on Avant 2012 build 197) it can go for hours or even days without happening, then unpredictably happen two or three times in a row.
Tony Austin

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:21 am

We haven't found a complete solution for this problem.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2018 Build 5 USB
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Sun May 05, 2013 10:10 pm

Regarding the lilac pages issue - in 2012 build 197 it was the best so far, better then before ant better then in versions 2013 build 1-22, but in build 107 it's even worse than in build 22 (or 23), it crashes much sooner, with lest tabs opened, moreover, sometimes Avant is freezing too long - slowly, no lilac pages, but all tabs are freezing, but not frozen completely. :(
Dreamer

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sun May 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Dreamer wrote: sometimes Avant is freezing too long - slowly, no lilac pages, but all tabs are freezing, but not frozen completely. :(
Yes, I'm having this same exact problem, not frozen completely. A lot of times I hear the default "Windows Beep" sound, but yet no window pops up, like it's trapped somewhere behind the Avant main screen. If I click anywhere on Avant, I get the default beep sound telling me that I can't make a selection from there, once again like you have a sub window open and try to close out the main window on any program. If open, switching to other tabs won't bring it up either. I've tried minimize/maximizing and Alt/Tab to try to get the invisible window back on top, but there's nothing to select, the only way to get Avant back is to kill it and restart Avant. So one tab doing this affects all the other tabs as well.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Sun May 05, 2013 10:40 pm

I've had this happen several times too. Clicking anywhere on the Avant window has no effect except you get the Windows default beep. No way to fix it except to close and restart Avant.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2018 Build 5 USB
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm

OK, it happened again, I started AB installation #1, close it, then started Inst. #2, closed, firefox.exe did not closed correctly in task manager (I didn't know that), then I started AB installation #1 again, result lilac pages, unable to refresh any page, closed AB, killed firefox.exe in task manager, started AB #1 again, tabs-pages loaded correctly, but the tab order is completely messed up.

(Already reported elsewhere, but it's related with this issue too)
Dreamer

wazib
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2017 Ultimate b.7
IE Version: 11.0
Skin: crystal

Post by wazib » Wed May 15, 2013 9:20 am

This error happened from time to time. Mainly just after start Avant Browser but sometime happened afterwords. I observe this happens just after update base my antivirus program (Avast Free Antivirus - automatic update).

schmitz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Win7-Pro-64
Avant Version: Ultimate 2018 Build 5
Default engine: FireFox
Skin: Win Traditional

Post by schmitz » Wed May 15, 2013 5:00 pm

notestracker wrote: If it happened only to a single web page U would be less concerned, but the same error generally appears against all tabs (or at least most of them).
It is concerning all the tabs of ONE Process-ID (PID -> TaskManager), means concerning all tabs using the same ybrowser.exe

RS

schmitz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by schmitz » Wed May 15, 2013 5:03 pm

notestracker wrote: If it happened only to a single web page U would be less concerned, but the same error generally appears against all tabs (or at least most of them).
It is concerning all the tabs of ONE Process-ID (PID -> TaskManager), means concerning all tabs using the same ybrowser.exe

RS

schmitz
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by schmitz » Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm

notestracker wrote:
MysteryFCM wrote:When coming out of sleep/hibernation, I believe the issue is caused by Avant trying to load the pages
That sounds like quite a plausible explanation, Steve.

I am not sure but I am having this problem on ALL machines, but not in conjunction
with Hybernation, Sleep, a.s.o. All Systems configured like "MaximumPower" in energy-options,
PowerSavings in the network-card disabled....
RS

SKJoy2001
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 Build 118
IE Version: 10 x64
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Post by SKJoy2001 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:06 pm

I experienced the same issue too, BUT WITH IE10 STANDARDS default rendering engine only! Due to this, I switched to Mozilla as the default rendering engine and it didn't happen so far in a couple of days. My system keeps running all the time (no sleep mode and the system goes in hibernation only when a power failure occurs and then turned back manually when power resumes).

I don't think a hibernation/sleep should cause this trouble, because, so far I know, for all application processes, the OS simply rewrites the memory, and they shouldn't even notice there was a hibernation/sleep unless it exclusively detects. Thus, Avant Browser shouldn't really reload the pages upon a hibernation/sleep resume but the page contents (window contents) should already be there in the application memory at it was before the pause.
Broken Arrow
Dhaka, Bangladesh
+88 017 327 037 32
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.80 GHz 4 x 2 GB DDR III RAM @ 1333 MHz nVidia GeForce GT 630

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Fri May 17, 2013 11:45 am

schmitz wrote:It is concerning all the tabs of ONE Process-ID (PID -> TaskManager), means concerning all tabs using the same ybrowser.exeRS
A summary so far seems to be:
So, it happens for you using IE rendering mode, for the subset of tabs associated with one instance of ybrowser.exe (a single PID) but presumably not for the other concurrent ybrowser.exe tasks? And it happens for me, using Firefox rendering mode which also is a single task (firefox.exe) but in the Firefox mode this equates to ALL tabs suffering the fault and not just a subset of the tabs.

Also for me, under Windows 8 I often find the Desktop Window Manager (DWM) task dwm.exe sometimes -- but not consistently -- comes to a crawl (using most of the CPU) for 20 or 30 seconds or even sometimes up to two minutes or more, for example when I open a URL link in my email client. In Windows 8 the DWM task is responsible for ALL display management (a change from Vista and Win7).

I have always had a feeling that the way that the central pane in Avant Browser is painted is fundamentally flawed, but it's only a guess, however the feeling is even stronger following my upgrade to Windows 8. I suspect that the way that the central content frame is programmed needs a thorough review, possibly leading to a complete redesign and rewrite. . . . But let me repeat that this is just a feeling that I have!
Last edited by notestracker on Fri May 17, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Austin

SKJoy2001
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 + SP1
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 Build 118
IE Version: 10 x64
Skin: Stickers on Glass

Post by SKJoy2001 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:59 pm

@ notestracker

Seems it is a good summary though I never had it with Mozilla rendering engine, only with IE10 Standards.

I miss the good old stable Avant Browser, using it almost since it's birth, it didn't have all the bells and whistles, but it had all the things I needed, neat & clean and working all the way, the confidence was kinda like a brother to brother ;)
Broken Arrow
Dhaka, Bangladesh
+88 017 327 037 32
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.80 GHz 4 x 2 GB DDR III RAM @ 1333 MHz nVidia GeForce GT 630

x2088
Windows Version: W8.1 x64
Avant Version: 2017+
Default engine: IE
IE Version: 11.0
Skin: Office XP

Post by x2088 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm

AB 2013.107

May result in partial or complete duplication of keys addons "copy" and "goto" on add-ons bar, while also setting items are replaced, as well may be duplicated keys other add-ons

[img]forum.qip.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=23160&stc=1&d=1368797741[/img]

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm

SKJoy2001 wrote:@ notestracker
I miss the good old stable Avant Browser, using it almost since it's birth, it didn't have all the bells and whistles, but it had all the things I needed, neat & clean and working all the way, the confidence was kinda like a brother to brother ;)
What I've been saying for a long time now. So many "Bells & Whistles" that build 107 has turned into one giant bug.
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)