No Task Switcher

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

No Task Switcher

Post by Tinman57 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:22 pm

I don't know if this is a bug or by design, even though I don't know why it would be, but I noticed that you can't switch over to Avant using the task switcher (Win-Tab) anymore. I have to manually click on the Avant button in the system bar (notification bar). When using the task switcher, Avant don't even show up....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

Julien90
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: win7 32 bit/IE9 xp pro
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Re: No Task Switcher

Post by Julien90 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:34 am

Seems win+tab doesn't work in XP, why not using Alt+tab?

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:20 am

Tinman57 wrote:I don't know if this is a bug or by design, even though I don't know why it would be, but I noticed that you can't switch over to Avant using the task switcher (Win-Tab) anymore. I have to manually click on the Avant button in the system bar (notification bar). When using the task switcher, Avant don't even show up....
If you hide the taskbar button in AB options, no button appears on windows task bar, then how do you switch to it?

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Julien90 wrote:Seems win+tab doesn't work in XP, why not using Alt+tab?
Sorry, that's what I meant was Alt+Tab... :oops:
((((TINMAN))))

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:01 am

[/quote] If you hide the taskbar button in AB options, no button appears on windows task bar, then how do you switch to it?[/quote]

It's pretty simple, you use the Alt+Tab function. It used to work just fine, I just noticed that it didn't work anymore with this version. With the older versions, even with the show taskbar button disabled, you could still switch over to it.... But then again, Microsucks has patched the OS so much in the last 6 months that may have something to do with it.... #-o
((((TINMAN))))

lefreak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 9
Skin: Windows Traditional

Post by lefreak » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:44 pm

Tinman57 wrote: If you hide the taskbar button in AB options, no button appears on windows task bar, then how do you switch to it? It's pretty simple, you use the Alt+Tab function. It used to work just fine, I just noticed that it didn't work anymore with this version. With the older versions, even with the show taskbar button disabled, you could still switch over to it.... But then again, Microsucks has patched the OS so much in the last 6 months that may have something to do with it.... #-o
Same (or "nearly the same") here, it is a confirmed bug I think, you often have to use ALT + Tab twice to change from Avant to another application...

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:56 pm

[/quote] Same (or "nearly the same") here, it is a confirmed bug I think, you often have to use ALT + Tab twice to change from Avant to another application...[/quote]

Yeah, I had that same problem with the last 5 or 6 versions, always had to cycle it twice to get another program highlighted to switch to. Methinks it has something to do with ybrowser. You'll notice in Task Manager Avant will show up and right below that is ybrowser. So every time you go to switch you have to cycle first through Avant, then ybrowser just to get to another app. It was a pain in the ****, but at least it was better than Avant not showing up at all like it is now....
((((TINMAN))))

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:29 am

lefreak wrote:
Tinman57 wrote: If you hide the taskbar button in AB options, no button appears on windows task bar, then how do you switch to it? It's pretty simple, you use the Alt+Tab function. It used to work just fine, I just noticed that it didn't work anymore with this version. With the older versions, even with the show taskbar button disabled, you could still switch over to it.... But then again, Microsucks has patched the OS so much in the last 6 months that may have something to do with it.... #-o
Same (or "nearly the same") here, it is a confirmed bug I think, you often have to use ALT + Tab twice to change from Avant to another application...
This bug hasn't been fixed yet.

dru
Windows Version: Vista
Avant Version: 2014/build 5
Default engine: IE Compatible
Skin: Monai XP

Post by dru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:34 am

AbelAbel wrote:If you hide the taskbar button in AB options, no button appears on windows task bar, then how do you switch to it?
I'm not sure if we're on the same page here or not, but is the bug with the window toolbar addressed in with this problem as well? If I turn off the Windows Taskbar option here:

"Tools->Avant Browser->Tray Icon: " (check in box) Hide Taskbar Button (need to restart Avant Browser)."

It works, Avant no longer appears on the taskbar, which is a win, but then it also kills the browser window buttons (minimize, maximize, close), and only has a tiny semi-reddish X button in the upper right corner. That's not cool.

I tried to search the bug tracker for it, but apparently I am searching with the wrong keywords.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:59 am

"Tools->Avant Browser->Tray Icon: " (check in box) Hide Taskbar Button (need to restart Avant Browser)."

It works, Avant no longer appears on the taskbar, which is a win, but then it also kills the browser window buttons (minimize, maximize, close), and only has a tiny semi-reddish X button in the upper right corner. That's not cool.
About the windows buttons, can you show me a screenshot?

dru
Windows Version: Vista
Avant Version: 2014/build 5
Default engine: IE Compatible

Post by dru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm

Certainly. The following image includes the upper portion of the bar on both settings. The upper image is with the "Hide" box checked, the lower with it unchecked. It looks as if hiding my taskbar icon is resulting in a compact style bar.

(Currently running Vista x64 SP1 plus all updates, Avant rev 12.7. Toolbar button issue has been present at least since 12.3)

Entirely unrelated to that checkbox - I also use UltraMon to manage my displays (3 of them) and the extra buttons I add to applications taskbars never appear in Avant. Am I correct in assuming that Avant just has its own routines that aren't shared with Windows? I almost never move the browser so it's no big deal, just curious about it.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:38 am

Confirmed, it only happens under standard style, No problem in compact style.

lefreak
Fan
Fan

Post by lefreak » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:02 am

The bug is still there...
Windows XP SP3, Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 8 (Firefox engine).

You must use Alt + Tab twice to switch to another application

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:16 pm

lefreak wrote:The bug is still there...
Windows XP SP3, Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 8 (Firefox engine).

You must use Alt + Tab twice to switch to another application
This problem hasn't been fixed yet, :(

lefreak
Fan
Fan

Post by lefreak » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Still I have to use very often ALT + TAB twice to change from Avant Browser Ultimate pre-alpha 107 to another application.

Why is it so difficult to kill that bug? I only want to switch the applications quickly, or do you want us to keep always on Avant? ;)

lefreak
Fan
Fan

Post by lefreak » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 pm

That is what happens when you hit ALT + TAB the first time, normally the next application should be "marked", so that when you release ALT + TAB you can change the application
Bug.jpg

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:54 pm

lefreak wrote:That is what happens when you hit ALT + TAB the first time, normally the next application should be "marked", so that when you release ALT + TAB you can change the application
Bug.jpg
Not how it's supposed to work. Normally hitting the Alt-Tab takes you to the next application, with AV browser running you have to hit the combination once to get the popup window, then again to go to the next app.

Also, AV shows two icons (most of the time) next to each other in the window, so you have to hit the combo 3 times to get to the next app....

Note that if you task switch rapidly more than once it will automatically advance to the next app on the first try.

I just wonder if this is all tied in to the stealing focus problem.... :?
((((TINMAN))))

lefreak
Fan
Fan

Post by lefreak » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:26 pm

The problem still exists with Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 177... nothing done with this bug? :(

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:34 pm

lefreak wrote:The problem still exists with Avant Ultimate 2012 Build 177... nothing done with this bug? :(
I think it's because it's related to the focus problem in which they haven't figured out yet....
((((TINMAN))))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:17 am

Tinman57 wrote:I think it's because it's related to the focus problem in which they haven't figured out yet....
It has to do with the Avant UI being one process and the browser engine being another process. When you press Alt+Tab the first time, it's switching between the tab window (the browser-engine process) and the Avant process, but you don't see anything happen when it switches.

You can demonstrate this by first clicking once on the Avant title bar or some other part of the Avant UI, then press and hold Alt+Tab, and you'll see that the next app is selected. If you click the Avant title bar and press and release Alt+Tab, it switches to the next app. What's happening when you don't click somewhere in the Avant UI first is that the first Alt+Tab switches from the browser engine process to the Avant process, and the second Alt+Tab switches from the Avant process to the next app's process.

I'm not suggesting that you always click the Avant UI before using the task switcher, since you can just Alt+Tab twice, which is simpler. Clicking the Avant UI first just illustrates what is taking place.