Why I removed Avant

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

anonamouse
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Why I removed Avant

Post by anonamouse » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 am

Ok so I was looking for a new browser and found Avant and thought cool I will use that.
I installed it and found it had changed my internet explorer's home page without asking - STRIKE 1
Then I noticed that it uses the favorites and cookies and stuff from internet explorer - STRIKE 2
SO to fix this I have removed it and am still looking for a browser that does not use my internet explorer settings or change things without permission. I give avant a big thumbs down.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Why I removed Avant

Post by Jasmine » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:16 am

anonamouse wrote: Then I noticed that it uses the favorites and cookies and stuff from internet explorer - STRIKE 2
You can set to use Avant Bookmarks by unchecking Use IE favorites as Bookmarks(Avant Browser Options->Miscellaneous). It's not prevented to use some data from IE since Avant is a IE based browser.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

anonamouse
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by anonamouse » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 am

What about the changing my homepage without asking to bing.com, are you recieving funding from bing for each page view?
I hate anything that changes my homepage without asking.

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: AthenX

Post by Browser Peeper » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 pm

I don't recall what webpage comes up in Avant as a "Home Page" when Avant is first installed. What ever that webpage is, that should not have changed your webpage in Internet Explorer. Regarding your other points, I suggest downloading and installing AB again and this time pay close attention to the information provided during the installation. I also suggest you use the "Custom" installation because this will allow the options you may want to select.
I doubt there is anyone on this forum (except the techs) who is more particular about AB's functionality than me. Any time I notice something possibly not functioning correctly in AB, I test it, looking for reasons (including possibly faulty equipment) why the functioning consistency is not completely extant.
The current version of AB, Version 2010 build 128, seems to be the best, most "bug free" version to have been built in several versions. There were some "bug" problems found in the earlier 2010 versions but those problems have been alleviated in build 128.
I suggest you download and install Version 2010 build 128. I'm sure you will agree this version is a great browser.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
IE Version: 10
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:44 pm

If I recall correctly, after Microsoft launched the Bing search engine, they made it the default search engine for IE. (I distinctly remember being annoyed when my IE search engine was changed to Bing as a result of installing the latest IE update.) Therefore, I shouldn't be surprised that AB (which sits atop IE) was affected similarly.

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Whenever I've installed a new version of Avant it displays the page regarding Avant and the changes etc. as a one-off but it has never changed my home page.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 pm

ABman wrote:Whenever I've installed a new version of Avant it displays the page regarding Avant and the changes etc. as a one-off but it has never changed my home page.
I remember that when bing came out it replaced the search engine on avant IE this was not done by avant also i either posted or pmed staff and said what is going on with this bing thing they said it was automatic. :)

Browser Peeper
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP 3
Avant Version: Ultimate 2014 Build 2
IE Version: IE 8
Skin: AthenX

Post by Browser Peeper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 am

brawnymike wrote:If I recall correctly, after Microsoft launched the Bing search engine, they made it the default search engine for IE. (I distinctly remember being annoyed when my IE search engine was changed to Bing as a result of installing the latest IE update.) Therefore, I shouldn't be surprised that AB (which sits atop IE) was affected similarly.
If Bing is the first default search engine that appears when AB is newly open, it certainly is easy enough to change. I don't think this is a problem significant enough to file a "bug report". Actually, in my opinion, it isn't a problem at all.

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 pm

Don't use the browser then, go find one that you like and stop anoying us.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image