Latest version of Avant Browser is pure crap (i'm not sorry)

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

akrapiv
Windows Version: windows xp sp3
Avant Version: the last one
IE Version: 8

Latest version of Avant Browser is pure crap (i'm not sorry)

Post by akrapiv » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:17 pm

I don't usually write complains about something - just buy or use another product... but in this case it has been an outrageous experience. When I used AB v.11.7, I thought that it was crap... and it was... but after using 2010 v.122 for a couple of days I can strongly recommend to keep away from this product forever - it is much worse than crap... and I'm not sorry for these words... shame on the developers... you will lose all your credit (if it ever was) and all the users... and your product could be granted "the **** of the YEAR" prize... I never wanted to use barebone IE or Chrome but they are much better now - so I don't have another option...
there's no way to describe all the bugs your "product" has...

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Re: Latest version of Avant Browser is pure crap (i'm not so

Post by flowrush » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Most informative review ever!

PS- I have experienced zero stability problems or usability issues with build 122. And there's no excuse for failure on your part to describe all the 'bug's' that make 122 such crap. That's just plain laziness and no one's going to care about your rant if all you have to say is just a bunch of "crap" ;)

scubamaster
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by scubamaster » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:36 pm

I'm with flowrush =D>

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM; Nvidia GeForce 8600GT w. 280.26 driver
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit SP1 (all patches)
Avant: V2011 b30 - (IE Favorites - No On-Line Storage)
IE V9.0.8112.16421-Upd 9.0.2; Java: 1.7.0.147; Flash: V10.3.183.5
Windows Security Essentials V2.1.1116.0

DoubleDoom
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Win 7 x64
Avant Version: 11.7 46

Post by DoubleDoom » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 pm

1 out of 10 on information provided to help the devlopers. However, I do agree with the sentiment.

I keep reverting back to 11.7b46 as each of the new builds has issues that put me off. Many of the issues have been fixed but some that still exist for me are:

1 - if you move the browser around the window doesnt move with it but about a second later. Major annoyance.
2 - Favicons only show the globe icon. (doesnt matter if I delete the folder in TEMP)
3 - roboform toolbar doesnt skin. (minor annoyance as I can choose a skin that matches the toolbar)

I do like the direction that is planned for Avant but i think the 2010 version should have been kept as alpha builds or maybe even class them as developer ones. Its not stable enough to be classed as a full release. The last one that is is 11.7b46.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 pm

YOU DO KNOW YOU CAN HAVE 2 BROWSERS INSTALLED AT THE SAME TIME PICK 1 YOU LIKE ADD IT WHEN AVANT IS FIXED JUST HIT YOU DESKTOP SHORT CUT FOR AVANT ALSO YOU WILL HAVE A SHORT CUT FOR WHAT EVER BROWSER YOU LIKE . I DO IT MYSELF. SORRY ABOUT CAPS. :)

sphynx
Windows Version: Vista
Avant Version: 123

Post by sphynx » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:22 am

Just like akrapiv, I usually don't complain either, but avant browser has driven me nuts and this crap has gone too far.
I've been using Avant for over 6 years, and it worked fine until about a year ago and their latest updates. Sometimes I wonder if the programers aren't trying to get rid of their users. Here's a list of a few VERY annoying, recurring glitches
-AB simply freezes, for no reason at all = browser must be closed down and restarted everytime this happens (that in and of itself takes for ever)
-page tabs show blank pages when the browser is first opened up (after computer has just been turned on, or after not having used AB for several hours) = tabs must be closed and restarted for content to load properly
-Flash player wasn't working = much research needed to find out how to solve the problem. Had to download some sort of patch in a specific AB folder, and install it by doing some complicated manipulations (lots of fun for someone who isn't a real computer geek)
-for a while, AB kept on using over 50% of CPU capacities. Often times this would happen even after AB was closed (it would remain active in the process) = had to open task manager to check it out, and terminate AB process to solve problem.
-word search on page doesn't work until page content is fully loaded (which is very annoying when you're in a hurry to find specific information on a page that takes almost a minute to load; firefox word search works right away even though content hasn't been fully loaded)
-AB can't load different types of script from pages like Google docs etc.

These are some of the main problems I've encountered; not to mention AB general slowness. Basically, if you want AB to work properly, you can't be running any other programs on your computer.
I don't encounter any of these problems with other browser such as FF. After 6 faithful years with AB, I want to say thank you for your services, but I just can't take this junk any longer. I will soon be switching over to another browser (it's going to take a while since I have lots of favorites and passwords saved on AB, unfortunately...)