Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Finished Scripts and Buttons ready for download can be found here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

szurgent
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 am
Windows Version: Vista SP1
Avant Version: 11.7 build23
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by szurgent » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:06 am

Hi!

Sorry, but i dont speak english good.

i first push the change button ----> switch to version 8.... this is ok...
but if push again and again next... dont change back to 7 :(((

i see the code... i probing change.

working this:

i change the line 10 in the script:

If AvantKey = 8 Then

to this:

If AvantKey = "8000" Then

this is working in my system!!!

User avatar
statm1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by statm1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm

hey szurgent, sorry we didnt do a good enough job in letting others know. But, that change you made that you said is working in your system was already made you just had to redownload the addon. But im glad that you figured out how to fix it on your own.
Image
-- Matt --

AYG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:38 pm
Avant Version:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 beta

Post by AYG » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 pm

abfan123 wrote:Well, It's possible to switch even in the same tab/instance.
All the settings are stored in the registry, So it's possible to add sites to the compatibility view list outside of IE. I wanted to create a button for Avant, But it seems like nobody request such button.
Hi, if possible I would like to have this button. It will be much more convenient than restarting the browser. Thanks! :)

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:56 am
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by addonsfan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 pm

addonsfan wrote:UPDATE (8-30-08): An updated vbs file has been added that fixes the problem arised from IE8 Beta 2.

UPDATE (3-19-09): Updated the package to work with IE8 Final.

Code: Select all

If AvantKey = 8 Then
must be

Code: Select all

If AvantKey = 8000 Then
or switching to IE7 will not work.

Code: Select all

...FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\avant.exe", "8000", "REG_DWORD"
8000, must remain 8000 and not 8888, or Avant will be running with IE8 and automatically detect incompatibilities.

Will a moderator please update the original post.
Attachments
avant_IE-ver.zip
(837 Bytes) Downloaded 257 times

User avatar
statm1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by statm1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am

My fault.. At first glance I was thinking that AvantKey = 8 was just giving it a name. After paying alittle more attention it I realized that it to needed to be changed now just what the dword was changed to.

Sorry all, thanks for catching that addonsfan.
Image
-- Matt --

User avatar
statm1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by statm1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:54 am

My fault.. At first glance I was thinking that AvantKey = 8 was just giving it a name. After paying alittle more attention it I realized that it to needed to be changed now just what the dword was changed to.

Sorry all, thanks for catching that addonsfan.

But, by the way, you will see the same incompatibilites using 8000 as you do with 8888 because they both use the IE8 standards engine.
Image
-- Matt --

User avatar
kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Posts: 3384
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:35 am
Avant Version:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by kudos » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:37 am

In order for this script to work with Orca and the IE-Tab extension, entries need to be added for the Orca executable too. I just replaced Avant.exe with Orca.exe and it worked. Could this be added?

BigPuppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Windows Version: XP + Vista
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by BigPuppy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Well,
downloaded both pieces from the top post and installed them.

Now:
- don't see it working
- no clue how to realise in what mode it is.

The coresponding button in IE8 works fine.
Never had IE7 on that XP32 PC, only updated IE6

User avatar
kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Posts: 3384
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:35 am
Avant Version:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by kudos » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm

BigPuppy wrote:downloaded both pieces from the top post and installed them
Where to? Did you follow the instructions? Here is a step-by-step guide:

The vbs file should go here: C:\Program Files\Avant Browser\Skins\avant_IE-ver.vbs

If your Avant folder is different, you should edit it with Tools -> Avant Browser Options... -> Add-ons -> Add-ons -> IE version switcher -> Edit -> Content

You also need to edit the vbs file too. Third line of text: AvantDirectory = "C:\Program Files\Avant Browser"
BigPuppy wrote:- no clue how to realise in what mode it is
Check your user agent string. These are my results - note the version in bold:
IE7 mode wrote: navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Avant Browser; Avant Browser; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
IE8 mode wrote: navigator.appVersion = 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; Avant Browser; Avant Browser; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

BigPuppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Windows Version: XP + Vista
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by BigPuppy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 am

Guys, thanks for asking, but my installation was the default one.
Default means default, therefore I didn't explain it (it was just nothing to explain).

I have to say, that everything is bizarre on your site.
Everything, I mean starting from the wrong field names and further on, and on, and on...

You guided:
Tools > Avant Browser options > add-ons > add-ons tab > Find
Really it must be:
Tools > Avant Browser options > Add-ons > Add-ons tab > Import

Then you put the attachments in the reverse order
ie_version_switcher.aba - FIRST
avant_IE-ver.zip - SECOND
While the installation sequence is quite opposite.

Then you did not mention clearly that your code is so poor, that after the avant_IE-ver.zip installation, the auto install may NOT be used, otherwise it multiplys the button.

Any way, the installation via
Tools > Avant Browser options > Add-ons > Add-ons tab > Import
Doesn't work (at list now, after your screwed process)
Only auto install via the link works.

But it would be better not to work at all!
Cause your button is totally crazy:
In IE8 it was an easy-switch button.
In your case your button totally kills Avant and restarts it. I had dozen open tabs; all of the tabs were closed by your crazy button and all my work were lost!

So your cheat good people stating that "This script is 100% safe".
It is NOT safe at all!

And that's not the end of the trobles with your "100% safe script".
After I removed the multiplied killing-your-work buttons, after all these troubles,
the good old Compatibility View button is gone from my IE8...

If you want to ask another "wize" question, here is the answer: the Compatibility View Button option is checked on my IE8, but the the old good button is destroyed in IE8 now!
It is even greyed out in the menues "Page" and "Tools" in the IE8.

Now, fxxk your fxxking script. How to recover this function in IE8?
Total reinstall of the IE8 did not help...

BigPuppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Windows Version: XP + Vista
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by BigPuppy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 am

Well, after I cleaned up all traces of your script/button,
the old good IE8 button recovers.

Now we can witness another fun:
This your page, specificly dedicated to the Compatibility View Button,
disables THE button in IE8.

Don't explain that it could be done in the page code.
Somebody could kill himself either, but SHOULD NOT.
The same situation here: If you discuss options with a button, you should not disable the button in the main application (IE8), at least not on this particular page.
That's my first friendly advise.

The second one:
Please, don't assure people, that poorly written killing-your-work button is "100% safe".
You don't know how much work I lost only because I believed your words (and I tested previousely that in IE everything is OK).

The third one:
If you claim and pretend that Avant is better implementation of the Trident engine, than at least don't pretend tnat poorly written script is anyhow compatible with the original one in IE.

The fourth one:
Please, please, please, be responsible in writing manuals, use correct FieldNames, correct sequenses and explain what's poor and wet...

User avatar
statm1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by statm1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:05 pm

We have no control over whether you lose your work on other tabs that you may have open at the time of installation because of Avant restarting, because we clearly say before you even download anything that it will restart Avant. It also clearly states in the window that pops up after you click the addon button that Avant has to restart and even gives you a chance to cancel so you don't lose any work by accidentally click the addon button by asking the question "Do you want Avant to restart now?" Yes or NO.

First one:
The reason why the button in IE8 is disabled is because we want our board to perform without problems and if we did not make our site get rendered in compatibility mode by default you would experience a few minor annoyances while using the board. And if a specific site designates that your browser should use a specific mode it overrides the button in IE8. It does it alittle differently in Avant but has the same outcome.

Our addon has nothing to do with whether the compatibility button is disabled or not. That is the sole responsibility of the underlying code of this website.

The second one:
The complete and only reason why that topic says that its 100% safe is because it is using a VBS file that is notoriously used by virus and malware writers. So in that context we are completely in our right to call it 100% safe because it is not a virus or malware script.

The third one:
The script is not poorly written because it was never meant to be "compatible"(in other words execute the same function) with the compatibility button in IE8 itself. Since Avant is totally separate from IE8 except for the engine, the way it changes the engine has to be done differently. All the script does is change a registry key because Microsoft has made it so that when someone runs Avant with IE8 installed it defaults to using the compatibility mode. So because it changes a registry key there is no way for Avant to use Standards mode until it is restarted. That is entirely different then how the compatibility button in IE8 works. It has direct access to the engine without needing to change a registry key so it doesnt require it restart in order to use standards mode.

The fourth one:
We are sorry that you had such a bad experience with how we explained things. I personally do not see a reason though to explain that this page has code that forces the use of compatibility mode because it doesn't effect how you use the script. You can click on the "Who is online" link at the bottom of every single page on this board except for the User Control Panel. That tells you your useragent string and that will tell you which mode you are set to at that particular moment. It will say either IE7 or IE8. Just because this site gets rendered using the compatibility mode doesn't change which mode Avant is set to, it does not change the registry key. You visit any other site and it will render using whatever mode you have set in the registry.
Image
-- Matt --

bksening
Fan
Fan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by bksening » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:54 pm

statm1 wrote:The reason why the button in IE8 is disabled is because we want our board to perform without problems and if we did not make our site get rendered in compatibility mode by default you would experience a few minor annoyances while using the board.
Rather, wouldn't the best way for the board to perform without problems is to ensure/fix it to use standards compliant HTML and/or Javascript so that it will work fine in IE8 Standards Mode and all the other major browsers that are standards compliant?

User avatar
statm1
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2168
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:03 pm
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10
Location: North Carolina, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by statm1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:55 pm

It works everywhere BUT standards mode in IE8.. Its not like your losing ANYTHING and its not like there are tons of problems, theres only 2 small things I think off the top of my head..
Image
-- Matt --

bksening
Fan
Fan
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:14 pm
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by bksening » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:04 pm

statm1 wrote:It works everywhere BUT standards mode in IE8.. Its not like your losing ANYTHING and its not like there are tons of problems, theres only 2 small things I think off the top of my head..
You say that like it's a reason to not bother fixing it, but please don't think like that. If there are only 2 small things, try to find some time to fix those 2 small things. Being standards compliant is a good goal in itself, regardless of how many browsers it does or does not work for.

User avatar
André
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 5787
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 1901 3:19 am
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:
Location: Baltimore and McHenry, Maryland, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by André » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:13 pm

As much as I like standards compliant-ness, sometimes it just isn't worth killing yourself over. Especially when trying to deal with templating systems as complex as phpBB.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
Image
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Posts: 1940
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:56 am
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Location: California, USA
Contact:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by addonsfan » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:54 pm

BigPuppy wrote:If you claim and pretend that Avant is better implementation of the Trident engine, than at least don't pretend tnat poorly written script is anyhow compatible with the original one in IE.
"poorly written script". Thank you, I appreciate that.

That's entirely expected from a person that can't figure out a simple little button, let alone the auto-install script. Infact, you seem to be the only one who can't figure these things out, and then you go on a big rant rampage, spewing absolute nonsense, saying something about this board being silly, when your two posts in this thread are the silliest things I've ever seen on this board.

You must be some kind of genius or something. I mean, that's just art right there, and I truly appreciate your art. Your art that took up so much space, and so much time (starring at and possibly creating), and the art that in the end, I ended up getting absolutely nothing out of, but a change of respect from the creator. Great job! =D> :thumbup:

AYG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:38 pm
Avant Version:

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 beta

Post by AYG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:42 pm

AYG wrote:
abfan123 wrote:Well, It's possible to switch even in the same tab/instance.
All the settings are stored in the registry, So it's possible to add sites to the compatibility view list outside of IE. I wanted to create a button for Avant, But it seems like nobody request such button.
Hi, if possible I would like to have this button. It will be much more convenient than restarting the browser. Thanks! :)
Is there progress on this? I just find a Maxthon addon which seems to work well http://addons.maxthon.com/en_US/post/2567
new-1.png
new-1.png (21.18 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
new-2.png
new-2.png (21.62 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

BigPuppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Windows Version: XP + Vista
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by BigPuppy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:50 am

statm1 wrote:The script is not poorly written because it was never meant to be "compatible"...
I love that.
In other words: "The script is not poorly written because it meant to be written poorly by design"

BigPuppy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:13 pm
Windows Version: XP + Vista
Avant Version: 12
IE Version: 8

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by BigPuppy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:00 am

addonsfan wrote:...you seem to be the only one who can't figure these things out...
In fact I am the only person here who was able to explain the right things in the right sequence.

After that I clearly and with huge factual material proved that ALL OTHER explanations and guidelines presented here are just incorrect.

My only problem was that initially I trustfully followed your misleading manual...

I appreciate everybodyes efforts. Even so I should not say that incorrect misleading manual is the right thing to present.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users