Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Finished Scripts and Buttons ready for download can be found here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Re: Avant switch between IE7 and IE8 Final

Post by addonsfan » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:04 am

1) it really doesn't matter what order you install the script, what you expirienced was purely a PEBKAC error.

2)
You guided:
Tools > Avant Browser options > add-ons > add-ons tab > Find
Really it must be:
Tools > Avant Browser options > Add-ons > Add-ons tab > Import
Wtf are you talking about?? Who cares??

3) I made this addon with developers in mind, incase they wanted to test their site in IE8. It's not meant for normal usage.

4)
Now we can witness another fun:
This your page, specificly dedicated to the Compatibility View Button,
disables THE button in IE8.
What?? but wait:
In fact I am the only person here who was able to explain the right things in the right sequence.
You've only managed to explain a bunch of nonsense, that made little sense at all. The sense it did make was just plain wrong.

5) If you had the mindset beyond trying to cause trouble, you would have searched the forum, and learned that there's a small bug with the auto install protocol. Yes, it does cause a slight problem with the addons bar, but it is being fixed.

One thing you do not understand. This addon was written by ME. Not Avant staff. I am NOT staff, therefore you can stop with all this "manual writting" nonsense. Here's a manual for you:
1) Install the auto execute script
2) Extract the vbs file to the skins folder in your Avant Browser directory
3) Press the button, don't even press the button if you don't want to. Just run the damn script.
4) READ THE MESSAGE BOX WHEN IT POPS UP

Real hard. I'm sorry you need a manual for something my 8 y/o nephew was able to figure out.

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:20 pm

BigPuppy wrote:
statm1 wrote:The script is not poorly written because it was never meant to be "compatible"...
I love that.
In other words: "The script is not poorly written because it meant to be written poorly by design"
Big puppy.. I explained that already..
statm1 wrote:Since Avant is totally separate from IE8 except for the engine, the way it changes the engine has to be done differently. All the script does is change a registry key because Microsoft has made it so that when someone runs Avant with IE8 installed it defaults to using the compatibility mode. So because it changes a registry key there is no way for Avant to use Standards mode until it is restarted. That is entirely different then how the compatibility button in IE8 works. It has direct access to the engine without needing to change a registry key so it doesnt require it restart in order to use standards mode.
In other words, it is perfectly written for what it is intended to do.. Which is change the registry key. Like I said IE8 does it differently that doesn't require a restart.
-- Matt --

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:45 pm

This is getting off-topic now. I think that we are agreed that the script works, albeit not as BigPuppy expected. In hindsight maybe a "developers-only" notice should have been included - we shall learn from this. A feature request should be made to include the ability to switch modes - without restarting Avant - in the appropriate forum section. For now, please refrain from squabbling. Thank you.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Well, if we get a 2nd complaint that it is confusing maybe we can add a developers-only notice.. But other than that we had that topic for about a year and bigpuppy is the first.
-- Matt --

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm

I think we definitely need a better explanation as to what this is and who its for because now I'm confused. Why developers only? Isn't it also beneficial for average folks to use Avant with the standards mode enabled? I mean whats the purpose of updating to 8 otherwise?

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:50 pm

In an ideal world, Avant, during install, would set the registry key to make Avant run in IE 8 standards mode. Then, a switch should be created that allows the switching from IE 8 to IE 7 mode on the fly on a tab by tab basis.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by addonsfan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 am

bigC wrote:I think we definitely need a better explanation as to what this is and who its for because now I'm confused. Why developers only? Isn't it also beneficial for average folks to use Avant with the standards mode enabled? I mean whats the purpose of updating to 8 otherwise?
It's not developers only, but simply made with developers in mind. If a normal user is gonna complain as BigPuppy did, then I just don't wanna to hear it. I'll let you guys deal with it, cause I don't care anymore...

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:14 am

Well, Anderson can build in some of what Maxthon does I guess.. On install it keeps the default setting(compatibility mode) and then has a setting in its options to turn on standards mode (that requires a restart, the same reason our addon requires one). But then it has a addon that goes about changing it a different way. You use the button that it installs onto its status bar to switch between them on the fly by inserting a meta tag into the head of that pages code, the same meta tag this forum uses. It then keeps a list of the sites that you click the button for and when you return it automatically adds the meta tag to the site when you first visit it.

The problem with their way is that it uses a special feature unique to Maxthon called Filter lists. Its typically used for ad blocking and replacing code(such as ads) with a blank space or whatever. But it can also be used like Firefox's addon, Greasemonkey, where it can add code to a particular page before the rendering engine can see it and render the code right. This way it doesnt require a restart. I think Avant would need an extensive rewrite of its adblocker to accomplish this.
-- Matt --

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Perhaps then we should also post a simple reg file for average users that don't require the button but just want to enable standards mode?

zeal
Windows Version: Vista (x64) SP1
Avant Version: 11.7.23
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18762 (x64)

Post by zeal » Sun May 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Crazy topic...
Anyway, got round to installing IE8 recently, so was looking for something like this.

I've rewritten it slightly, as i found the current version rather unfriendly to use.

I've made it so the registry change is only made after you click okay to the restart, as the ability to do a delayed switch (restart later) seemed to be an undesirbable option worth loosing. This means you can simply use the button to check your current mode, without being forced to change.

Also AvantDirectory is now auto detected from the registry, no more manual editing. Edited a few strings to fit my own tastes too.

Code: Select all

On Error Resume Next
Dim WshShell, AvantDirectory, AvantKey, RestartAvant

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
AvantDirectory = WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Avant Browser\InstallPath")
AvantKey = WshShell.RegRead("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\avant.exe")

If AvantKey = 8000 Then

Call ConfirmMessage("Standards", "Compatibility")

Else

Call ConfirmMessage("Compatibility", "Standards")

End If

Function ConfirmMessage(CurMode, NewMode)

RestartAvant = MsgBox("You are currently in "+CurMode+" mode."+vbNewLine+vbNewLine+"Would you like to switch to "+NewMode+" mode? (Restart required)", 4, "IE8 Mode Switch ("+CurMode+" Mode)")

If RestartAvant = 6 Then

If AvantKey = 8000 Then

WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\avant.exe", "7000", "REG_DWORD"

Else

WshShell.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION\avant.exe", "8000", "REG_DWORD"

End If

'---- code stolen/borrowed -----------------------
strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
    & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colProcessList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
    ("Select * from Win32_Process Where Name = 'avant.exe'")

For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    objProcess.Terminate()
Next
'---- code stolen/borrowed -----------------------

WshShell.Run """"+AvantDirectory+"\avant.exe""", 1, False

End If

End Function
I don't even know vbscript tbh, but managed to get it to work. Hope it helps.
Attachments
avant_IE-ver.zip
rewritten vbs
(831 Bytes) Downloaded 239 times

v0pelor
Windows Version: Vista (x64) SP1
Avant Version: 11.7.23
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18762 (x64)

Post by v0pelor » Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you for updating the file!

shasha
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 22
IE Version: 7

Post by shasha » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Stupid question...is there really any advantage to having a page rendered in IE8 mode? I'm not the type of person that goes all over the internet to begin with so I don't see any real differences in the simple sites that I frequent, but I do know that IE8 mode with Google mail screws up the layout of the buttons. Rather than switch all the time I am thinking about just defaulting to IE7 mode all the time.

I don't mind staying in IE7 mode as long as I am not missing out on some kind of amazingly rich content or something.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm

There isn't alot of difference to need IE8 mode over IE7 mode right now. But, as web developers start developing sites using newer technology you will start getting limited by IE7 mode. As I've been discussing in another thread, that Google mail problem you mentioned is only a Avant problem when you are in IE8 mode. Gmail works fine in IE8 itself with IE8 mode on.
-- Matt --

bksening
Fan
Fan
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Now that IE8 has been officially released, will an official Avant button/switch method be created to toggle between IE7 and IE8 mode. IE8 has the Compatibility Button built in to the right of the address bar that will automatically reload the page switching rendering modes.

Has Microsoft provided the API call to third party developers into Trident to make it switch rendering modes?

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 pm

Will this perhaps be a goal for Avant 12?

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:08 am

I do not know right now if there is an API that will let 3rd parties tap into the compatibility button. But, I have asked someone to look into it for me and if so I will bring it up to Anderson and see what we can do about it.
-- Matt --

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by addonsfan » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I think the only reason this wouldn't be built into Avant 12, is because the button itself it surely going to be obsolete after a while.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Well, I mentioned the compatibility button thats in IE to Anderson back year before last and his only question to whether it could be ported to Avant was whether the functionality was going to stay in IE or not. This was right after the button first showed up in the beta of IE8.

But in response to you addonsfan, I say as long as IE has it then Avant should have it whether its obsolete or not. Which I doubt it will be anytime soon.
-- Matt --

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by addonsfan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:14 am

Well, if it's built in and excluded from IE later, then using the button in feature versions of IE just might cause problems. Also, there's going to be a need for a function the button, based on the version of IE. (wont be very useful in IE7)

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:38 pm

addonsfan wrote:Also, there's going to be a need for a function the button, based on the version of IE. (wont be very useful in IE7)
Exactly addonsfan! I'm sure that implementing and providing an "Avant Compatibility Button" will definitely be based the version of IE that the user is running. The button will only be available for versions of IE that support it.

And I agree with statm1; I don't think Microsoft will obsolete that button anytime soon. Unless the reason Microsoft obsoletes that button is to make IE into always fully standards-compliant mode, in which case that day cannot come too soon!