Locking Threads Policy?

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Locking Threads Policy?

Post by vtel57 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:52 am

What's the policy that you Mods follow when locking threads. I noticed tonight that a few threads in the Avant Off-Topic category that I wanted to comment on were locked already. What's up with this? :(

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:01 am

This has already been discussed
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=4843

This thread will be locked.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:06 am

SweetLou wrote:This has already been discussed
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?t=4843

This thread will be locked.
Heh! Funny guy! ;)

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:07 am

I thought you might like that.

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:28 am

SweetLou wrote:I thought you might like that.
Yeah, ya' had me going. I actually clicked on the link... then started snickering about how easily you suckered me. :shock:

Heh... :)

Later...

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:26 am

Eric, taken this up. Yes the Over 50 Topic was locked too quickly and I think it gave poor Campion the wrong Idea. If it had been left open he would have seen that we were joking and not felt the need to apologize.
Tom has set locking guidelines.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:41 am

Angeldust wrote:...I think it gave poor Campion the wrong Idea...
Exactly my thoughts. If I were a new poster here and someone came along and locked a perfectly reasonable posting of mine, I'd be a bit put off. My first thought would be, "D*mn! They're pretty snobby here!" I probably wouldn't post again. :(

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:29 am

I also feel as you do Eric and these shouldn't have been lock. What irks me even more is that whoever locked them didn't even try to explain why. When I lock threads it is because they have already been dicussed and I try to provide a link(if I can or if it has been dicussed so much that a search would yield hundreds of results) to post in to try to keep the forum from being so cluttered and an explaination. This issue will be dealt with and perhaps a more stringent locking policy will be had before this gets out of hand.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:33 pm

If I may add, sort of along the same lines as this and the post mentioned above... but the "...if it has been dicussed so much that a search would yield hundreds of results" you stated, Logan, makes me bring it up here.

What's the policy for deleting threads? Locking some is nice and all, and I agree it shouldn't be done like a jack-booted moderator stormtrooper (which really should be placed on greeting cards, I love that term! Merry Christmas, you Jack-booted Moderator Stormtrooper! Although I guess vtel is the only one who could receive the card) but it is getting harder and harder to find solutions in here. I think some people get so many results back that they say... "**** it, I'm posting it again"

Maybe a master list, like the skin one, could be made? Although, I'll admit I dont think most people read the requests one, but if it would stop half the people from posting more "I get little red "x"s for images problem, I think it'd be worth it.

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:49 pm

You're right about so many threads being repeated. I try and delete some of these every now and then but make a point of keeping them up for awhile(a couple of weeks) so that whoever posted the locked thread can have time to get back and see why it was locked and to follow the link given to post in(if any has been given). Been kind of lazy lately though but will work on it today.