Jack-booted Moderator Stormtroopers!

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Jack-booted Moderator Stormtroopers!

Post by vtel57 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:50 pm

You know I love all you moderator folks who donate your time and efforts to keeping this forum running smoothly, but lately I'm beginning to feel that the "friendliness" of this support forum is waning due to the quickness with which posts are deleted and threads are locked. I understant that locking threads and threatening to delete postings in certain threads is all part of the administration of this forum, but c'mon... let's lighten up a bit here.

And another thing, I think there are far too many of you now. It seems that every week here someone else gets promoted to Moderator. You know the saying, "too many chiefs, not enough indians."

I just want to remind those of you in control here that this IS a support forum. It should present its friendliest face to the public. Avant's life may depend on it. Heavy-handedness and over-control here will begin to rub folks the wrong way. I'm a forum/USENET junkie from waaaay back. I've seen it all. There's a happy medium to moderating a forum such as this. Too much or too little can be devestating to the community of users.

I've said my piece, so PEACE! :)

Later...

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

vasarnap2000
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by vasarnap2000 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:27 am

Getting ready for the LOCK-DOWN!!!
Avant Browser: 10.0.158
System: Windows XP Pro SP2
Sun Java: 5.0 Update 4

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:07 am

I don't actually see a problem with the way it is now. If posts are duplicated, it makes sense to lock one of them, otherwise your giving the same reply twice. Much easier to give it once and just re-direct the second poster, to the one you've replied to.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:01 am

I agree with MysteryFCM, if anything I would like the moderators to do more locking and switching. For example there are way too many threads in "beta" that should be in "help with avant" or "requests". There are many duplicate threads in here also. It would be nice if the moderators could condense these into one thread. Well, that's my opinion but I am just a lowly peon. So, don't listen to me. :)

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:51 am

Mods are trying to get the many down to make the forum more accessible. They are looking at ways to merge duplicates into existing Topics. Please be patient.
As for Beta Posts about they should be kept in that forum even when it seems to be a request so Anderson can see what people think of them.
If it is a request for Operational Version then yes please place them where appropriate.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:17 am

Like many of you, I've been coming to this forum for quite sometime. ****, I read the posts here for almost 6 months before I ever signed up. I was just rubbed the wrong way today, I s'pose.

I seem to be in the minority with my complaints here, so I'll just go along to get along. It's no big deal, so you Moderators (Avant friends of mine for a while now) just disregard my whining and let's move on.

Thanks for letting me b i t c h-a-little. :?

Later...

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:18 am

Oh, and feel free to yank this whole thread. I won't mind at all.

Thanks again...

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:05 am

I'm afraid I have to agree with the the essence of Eric's post.
The atmosphere of the forum has noticeably changed since I first started looking here back in August last year.
I agree there are too many Obergruppenfuhrers, some of whom are a little too quick to wave their officer's stick.
It is a shame because, as Eric says, step over the fine line and people just won't bother to come here any more.
I for one have come close to not bothering a number of times recently.
Logan, Tomservo, Bigc et al (the originals) have always done a good job in my opinion.
Take us back to the way it used to be. Please :cry:
Stealer of Souls

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:47 pm

I am watching how the moderation is going. It hasn't been too bad yet. I have posted a warning on being too quick to lock and remove.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:52 pm

TomServo wrote:It hasn't been too bad yet. I have posted a warning on being too quick to lock and remove.
Granted I've not been here as long as some but, I don't personally feel the mod's/admins have been too "quick"

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:46 pm

My two cents:

I have seen on other forums that some mods almost imediatly lock/remove any topics that have been talked about before. A lot faster than here.

I know you can't compare the two but I am just stating what I have seen.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:51 pm

You're probably correct, Drrae. Most of my experience with forums have not been technical support forums such as this one. There is more camraderie and friendliness at other forums. Here, we're just trying to help others get their Avant working properly. It's more technically oriented, so I guess there would be a greater need for conciseness and organization.

Later...

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:13 pm

vtel57 wrote:You're probably correct, Drrae. Most of my experience with forums have not been technical support forums such as this one. There is more camraderie and friendliness at other forums. Here, we're just trying to help others get their Avant working properly. It's more technically oriented, so I guess there would be a greater need for conciseness and organization.

Later...
I always thought that this forum used to engender the best of tech and family. You, Eric have been part of that. I find it sad that you feel you have to apologise considering the help you have provided.
Perhaps it's me over-reacting....I don't have the same feeling about other forums I frequent..forums that are equally technical support.

It just doesn't feel as friendly here as it used to be.
Stealer of Souls

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:10 pm

Moby,

Yeah, well... I didn't want to stir sh*t (although, I'm very good at it when I wanna be ;) ), I was just stating how I felt lately. I know from experience with "groups" that most folks may feel a certain way, but few will chime in when given the opportunity. Most prefer to remain silent and avoid any controversial topics.

I picked a "sexxed up" title for the topic in order to attract readers to it. However, it was in poor taste, most likely. The Mods here, new and old, have done/are doing a fabulous job, as I'm sure you'll agree. I just wanted to point out that sometimes if you go over the top, you chase good folks away.

I'm not going anywhere. I come here to this forum at least twice a day during my forum surfing sessions. I visit and participate in numerous forums. I'm an admitted forum junkie. It has always been my primary reason for being online. You can learn a lot and meet wonderful folks from around the world by participating in forums on the I-net, as I'm sure you know.

I don't think there are any major malfunctions here at the Avant Support forum. I think that the Mods have read this thread and probably realize in their own hearts that there is some truth to what you and I have written. There may also be a "silent" group here who agree with us also.

There's quite a bit of intelligence hanging around this place. I'm sure that bigC, Sara, Logan, Mariuz and other Mods/Admins are doing their best to keep things informative and orderly around here.

You know, mate, another thing that comes to mind about the changed "flavor" of this place may be the fact that there is a larger population of readers and posters here than there was a few months back. The close knit community feeling may have been affected by this fact. Who knows?

I enjoy it here, and as long as that remains true, I'll keep coming back.

Regards,

~Eric

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:39 am

I haven't been here that long but I don't see the unfriendliness of the forum. To me is seems very friendly. People are always trying to help and this has to be the quickest forum I have seen. I post a thread and it is often replied to before I can leave the site. I just think the mods are trying to do their jobs the best they can to help organize the forum. I know from the searches I do on topics comes up with many results. That can be confusing and many would not want to read through all the threads to see if their problem has been discussed before. Maybe I don't use the search function well enough. But if this is the case I know that there would be many people like me. I do think some of the locking seemed too fast. But I would never say this is an unfriendly forum. I don't remember the forum from when I first joined (long long time ago).

Eric, since you are a forum junkie, I assume this means you don't want Anderson to write a perfect program. If he did, there would be no need for this forum, one less forum for you to go. ( just kidding, see friendliness :) )

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by vtel57 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:07 am

Eric, since you are a forum junkie, I assume this means you don't want Anderson to write a perfect program. If he did, there would be no need for this forum, one less forum for you to go. ( just kidding, see friendliness )
Fear not, SweetLou... this could be the most perfect program known to mankind and there would still be heavy traffic on this forum. Folks would still need assistance in learning how the program works and how to use its many features. Sadly, there is a inverse law that dictates that the more feature heavy a program becomes, the less people will be able to utilize it easily. The great community at this forum will be there to help, though.

Later... :)

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***