Animated avatars/signatures and communication—a suggestion

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.

Do you agree that animations are distracting?

Yes, I agree. (I do not use animation)
32%
Yes, I agree. (I use an animation)
14%
I disagree. (I use an animation)
27%
I disagree. (I do not use animation)
23%
I'm glad you posted this topic.
5%

Total votes: 22

Kerry
Avant Version:

Animated avatars/signatures and communication—a suggestion

Post by Kerry » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:12 pm

I'm posting with my professional cap on, as a communication consultant. We consultants are keenly aware of communication variables, anything that might (possibly, even remotely) serve as a barrier to the message getting through. Another word for barrier is noise. For example: The more noise on a web page, the busier it is, the more confusing, the less likely comprehension. No big news here. We've all run across some abusively noisy pages.

I preface my message by saying how much I admire and appreciate the animated avatars and signatures used here on the Avant Forum. Such artistry and creativity. I'm not in favor of the extremely large signature used on some forums which to me are the same as CAPITALS (yelling), an automatic turn off.

I write because most people are unaware of just how much a simple distraction affects the mind. Any noise, from a simple cuss word (in the space of someone who might be offended) to a avatar/signature that continually flashes and moves, distracts; it get in the way of comprehension. It actually creates confusion. It gets in the way of the message getting gotten, just the opposite of what a forum is about, to facilitate communication.

Is it possible they can be set to run 1 or 2 full sequences and then turn off (stop moving)?

Please cast a vote.

Thanks, Kerry
Last edited by Kerry on Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:16 pm

Certain animations are certainly distracting. Mine, a small car bouncing up and down a little isn't that bad. But, one that flashes colors and the like are distracting.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:29 pm

I agree that a bit of animation is not distracting. This Forum limits new Avatars to 90 x90 or smaller and at that size most are ok. We still have some from the previous Forum that are bigger. Great big ones, animation or no, are distracting, both as avatars and in the sig line.

Sara :)

PatG
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by PatG » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:46 pm

I like 'em! :D Use them every chance I get and also enjoy viewing them if only for a second or two. 8)

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:55 pm

Yes, they can be somewhat distracting if to elaborate. But you can just click stop on your browser and they stop. Or if they really bug you, just disable animations under Internet Options | Advanced.

brazucs16
Avant Version:

Flashing

Post by brazucs16 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:04 am

Anyone ever seen that horrible banner that says: "If Flashing You Have Won!!" or "You are the 1 Millionth Visitor!! CLick here to claim your prize" ???

I HATE THOSE!!!! But, I agree with bigC, a cheap way to do this would be to press the STOP button in your browser :roll: ... It works for me...

btw.......... DON'T MAKE FUN OF MY PENGUIN!!!!!!!!!
"Smoking Kills... and if you're killed, you've lost a VERY important part of your life"
-Al Gore, 1999

wazzup105
Avant Version:

Post by wazzup105 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:28 pm

Just look at opera... kill animated gifs in 2 steps (F12 click "enable gif animations") and they are stopped untill later order.... Better than clicking on STOP on every single page I surf to.

(Oh, while you're at it, please do the same for (shockwave-) flashanimations... )

It's one of the things I still prefer in Opera (another one is still the personal stylesheet even in 1 click !)

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:44 pm

They're irritating. On the other board I frequent most, and where I mod (http://www.brunchma.com) we've banned them.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:53 pm

Sergei wrote:They're irritating. On the other board I frequent most, and where I mod (http://www.brunchma.com) we've banned them.
Personally, I like them and use them as you can see! As BigC stated in an earlier post, if you don't like them you can always click the Stop button and they stop......how much trouble can that be?

They are not any worse or distracting that some of the "stills" that are being used...... :roll:

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

gfd
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by gfd » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:04 am

I don't find it irritating at all, but (though I doubt this is doable because it has to do with IE's core) if enough people want it, it should be added.
ImageImage