Re  searching for topics

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
mariuz
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Re  searching for topics

Post by mariuz » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:25 am

Indeed it is ;)
"Be smart, don't act smart."

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:49 pm

Mariuz--

Are you sure you're not Teal'c? You sure sound like him! ;D

Sara :D

mariuz
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by mariuz » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:54 am

hmmm :) I dunno who Teal'c is, so ... hmm :)
"Be smart, don't act smart."

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:59 am

This perhaps sums up, the problem you guy's are having
i have posted this here so that perhaps a respectfull reply can be given, with out good customer care this forum will do nothing to promote AVANT. i have a direct link to AVANT download page also to your forums. this i have placed on my front page.doing so i am promoting AVANT !!!
This member is a well respected computer advicer, helping out on a number of large sites with many hundreds of members, mine is small but he still takes out the time to help, PLEASE read thank you mike.Mike,

Not sure if you saw my latest post in the Avant forum...or the rather snotty response to it...but that is reason enough for me to stuff the Avant browser (or suggest they do) for now--perhaps forever.

Rather than give me a straight and succinct answer the first time out (and it turns out there was one...~!), the 'authority' who deigned to respond simply suggested I look in the 'Help' forum. No specific posting, no answer to the question  ...just 'look in the Help forum'.

After spending the better part of an afternoon plying all the columns therein (there are numerous) and foolishly assuming that since I was so directed, there must be answers available...and that I just had to find 'em, I discovered it had been a complete waste of time, effort, and respect.

Although I did find three other queries like mine, not one of them was given the decency of a straight answer either.

I then went back (to the Avant forum) and asked if someone could narrow my search a bit. Not 'would they solve it for me'...just narrow the search.

To which the person I assume has the authority, wit and knowledge to do so decided instead to simply lock my queries post--- so that anyone having a constructive response could not have posted it to me if they wanted to.

He/She/It then had the audacity and the disgustingly condescending attitude to lock my second post as well, to basically tell me to go look some more (because--I can only assume---such a simple question must be beneath his assumed station)--and that I should have paid attention to the other three posts (which, I remind, received NO help what-so-ever!)

ONLY THEN did He/She/IT bring up that..(sic)...'"By the way, what (you are) asking about is a program bug with no work-around!!"

You have rules for this site, Mike...and I respect them.

But you may well imagine which of my digits is dominant and directed to the Avant moron at this moment.

Doesn't reflect well on any product he/she/it might be promoting.

FYI---I will be copying this posting to the other four forums which I frequent.  (without revealing this source forum, of course).

With luck there will be a large enough uprising to unseat this goof from whichever throne he thinks he's sitting on....or wiggle the flush lever....whichever does the best job soonest.

So folks, if any of you entertaining the idiocy of installing the Avant browser, perhaps you might want to reconsider.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Mike,

I thank you again for your efforts...and want you (and anyone else reading this) to know that there is no fault whatsoever to be placed on this Silver Surfer site!

You've all been very kind.

rstcrat

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:45 pm

Well, it's been said before and it will be said again.  "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can never make all the people happy all of the time."

I am sorry you had a hard time finding something.  But to be honest, you are acting like a 13 year old l337 kid in how you are reacting.

I am not sure of the posts you are refering too, I will have to go and search for them and read them.

There is a reason we lock threads, it is because that item HAS been brought up before.  It is not because we dislike you or anything like that.  You have to realize there are 10514 posts with 100+ being added each day.

We are NOT going to kown the shortest route to find what you looking for, that is what the search is for.  It is used, people DO FIND stuff they are looking for.  Yes it is not on a gold plate with neon lights, but I would hope you have some sense of how to use a search engine.

Now, back to you being a 13 year old.. posting to other forums is not going to drive poeple away like you would hope.. in fact they will most likely come here and see the oppisite of what you posted there.  You are one out of only four or five people I can think of that really disliked Avant or the Forum.. that is a REALLY small percentage.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:57 pm

Now that is realy good PR !!!! GOODBYE TO YOU AND YOUR BROWSER.

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:04 pm

Have to admit, I am in Engineering... not sales. :P

Now, I real all >6< of your posts.  Only one asked a question to which I was the replier.  You didn't seem to have any problems then.. I don't see anything like you said above.  Were you using a different nick at that time?

Make that 7 posts now.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:11 pm

Now that is realy good PR !!!! GOODBYE TO YOU AND YOUR BROWSER.
Mike....now that is a little childish......your posts were a bit hard to follow since it appears you were "re-publishing" a posting from rstcrat on another forum about a reply from one of our moderators.....that post was the one I believe Tomservo was calling childish (and it was).....Mr rstcrat was replied to properly and he chose to take issue with it......Maybe you are not aware that our moderators are all volunteers who have full time jobs or are full time students in addition to attempting to sometimes babysit this forum and there are members here who sometimes require or maybe the better word is "demand" babysitting.....I have read the last post to rstcrat from the moderator and it was not "snotty".   This is a wonderful browser and the forum is very active, to say the least.   Mr. rstcrat needs to take the chip off his shoulder and go on from there.

Pip

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:22 pm

mikeart and rstcrat:

I believe that I am the one whom you are both referring to. Let me explain myself, then. I am a full time student who be a senior this year at a major US university. On top of this, I work about 15 hours a week doing research, and I also have other things I want to do such as hang out with friends, play sports, etc...

I am the forum moderator simply as a volunteer. I often spend as much as 2 or 3 hours a day working on here and if you think this isn't a lot while preparing to take medicial school admissions tests, taking a full semester, and still having time for friends and other things then...

With all this being said, I think what most people do not understand is that I don't have a catealogue-like memory. I do not remember every single post. I do not have every single answer. I do not code any part of avant browser. I cannot answer the obscure bug posts, because quite frankly I have no idea where to even begin on what would cause that.

When I don't answer something because I have no idea, within 10 minutes i'm bound to get a "how come no one has answered this yet!". In short, what I can do on the board is answer questions that have already been asked, or small things I know how to fix or perform with Avant. This forum is an amazing resource for the users of Avant. It is well designed, very very thorough on what it covers, and easy to search. Many people have come before both of you, and their questions and the answers to those questions should be an invaluable resource to you. With that being said, so that users like yourselves can find things, here on the board, we lock questions (without hesitation), if they have already been asked, regardless of whether or not that question has been asked.

When newbies come the board, they do not want to find 7 responses on what possibly might be causing such and such bug. It is much easier for both them, and the author, anderson, if there is one bug on each bug or each request, etc...

The thread in question here was locked because the first person to post specifically said:
I have found 3 threads that ask this exact same thing.

That right there = this has already been mentioned, so it should be locked. What part of that is hard to understand? I have no problem whatsoever with that question being asked again...maybe someone has foun something new and can help fix the problem. But DO IT IN THE OLD THREAD. If you can't understand this simple idea/rule, then honestly I can't help you anymore.

I try my best, but sometimes it's not good enough.

I also would like to mention that you can post there wherever you please, but it's not going to do very much good. Avant is pretty well established on most of the "beta" type forums. In addition, this attention to our forum, as mentioned above, will probably people to visit and see how much better of a forum we have than some others ;)
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:12 am

I don't know how much that will help, gary. Some users will naturally search, others will naturally not even read anything on the board and just post their problems. Some users are just like that.
Back in the "good ole days" of BBSes, this kind of thing was handled by requiring that new members read the FAQ before they were granted posting priviledges. While this wasn't completely successful, it did weed out those who were unwilling to even take the time to read the notice "You must read the FAQ before you'll be able to post" that was right in front of their face.
IBM PC XT, 8088 4.7Mhz, 512k RAM
360k DSDD FDD, 10 Meg HDD
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing!

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:20 am

OK, now max age is 999 days.  ::)

Now there isnt any reason to NOT use the search-option.
Except for the fact that unless there can be a very specific search parameter supplied, there can easily be hundreds of posts to sort through.

In my case, far too many of the search results showed locked messages - with no link to the "original" message that prompted the locking. If locked messages could be excluded from the results, it would be greatly appreciated.

I suspect many people will opt for the quickest and easiest solution - make the post regardless.
IBM PC XT, 8088 4.7Mhz, 512k RAM
360k DSDD FDD, 10 Meg HDD
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing!

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Re: Searching for Topics

Post by angeldust » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:05 am

Has anybody thought of an index that shows Topic Titles on Forum Homepage? Might help.
We all complain that some of us repeat things that have already been stated/asked ad nauseum. Maybe mods/admin could come up with threads that haven't diverted from point & list them alpha, then those of us who contrib could read it again & edit/delete our input to keep it concise.
We have to remember that not only do most people not read FAQs B4 posting but if their ??? don't seem to be answered quickly they either write again, become discontented or get p.o. and then write rude & nasty remarks.
Let's convert not prevert!
But then again what do I know? (well actually quite abit aboot little)
latter days.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image