Locking messages

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
Taomyn
Avant Version:

Locking messages

Post by Taomyn » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:17 am

If you're going to lock messages on the basis of duplication, which I totally understand, then at least have the courtesy to point us to the original thread - you obviously know where it is otherwise you wouldn't know it was a duplicate.

Before I get flamed, yes I do search, but unless everyone here is either from the US or UK, and even then that's no guarantee, you cannot expect everyone to type in the exact search terms to find very obscure problems. More often a simple spelling mistake can make a thread very hard to find. For example would everyone visiting here know to search for "(colour or color) and tab and icon" for instance?

If you're going to "moderate" then be moderate not draconian.
..."No matter where you go, there you are"

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Locking messages

Post by batigolaso » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:15 pm

We understand your frustration and realize that it often hard to find things that have been posted. Oftentimes, I personally DO NOT know where I saw something last (i read basically every thread on this board), but rather that I have seen it recently. So it's pretty difficult to go back and find all those threads. As for search, obviously extend the time frame to 360 days or something more appropriate (which I hope you have done). And some of the new moderators and other users have taken more time to help point out new threads. I would also suggest to everyone, not just you, that they label their threads more descriptively in the title section.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

JeffK
Avant Version:

Post by JeffK » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:22 am

After coming here from other forums I was surprised to at the eagerness to close threads here.  Forum members putting good descriptions in thread titles is a good way to help people find things.  On other  forum I have seen consciencious posters put keyword lists in all their posts.

However I find it  alot easier to find things here than in the MYIE2 forum, and I haven't yet after a week of using Avant had many questions I couldn't track the answer to here.  

Jeff

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:27 am

jeffk:
The duscussion is already happening in an established forum.  We really don't want  10 forums discussing the same thing.. it can get downright ugly to manage.  That is why if it is something that we as moderators know has been broght up before, we lock it.

Ferd:
There is something like 150+ posts a day.. we really don't have the time to search for the related forum for you.  You can really easily just search yourself and find what you are looking for.

bati:
The search now defaults a good number of days now.  8)
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary