Does forum software have option open links in new tab?

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Does forum software have option open links in new tab?

Post by mbrazil » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:51 am

All links embedded in forum posts open in the current tab. As a result, each time you click a link in a forum thread that takes you to another site, you have to back up to the Avant forum when you're done. Does the forum software have an option to open links in new tabs instead of in the current tab? If so, setting it to do that would be a good idea. It takes less time and is less of a hassle to close an additional tab than it does to get back to where you were on the forums, especially if you forget you're in the same tab and close it.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Does forum software have option open links in new tab?

Post by Jasmine » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:22 am

No such option in the fourm ACP.
Clicking middle mouse click button is for that purpose.
Avant Browser options->mouse buttons:enable middle mouse click button to open a link in a new tab(in the foreground, in the background)
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:14 am

mbrazil wrote:All links embedded in forum posts open in the current tab. As a result, each time you click a link in a forum thread that takes you to another site, you have to back up to the Avant forum when you're done. Does the forum software have an option to open links in new tabs instead of in the current tab? If so, setting it to do that would be a good idea. It takes less time and is less of a hassle to close an additional tab than it does to get back to where you were on the forums, especially if you forget you're in the same tab and close it.
The middle mouse button (MMB) option is great. I use it more often than the LMC on web pages if I plan on coming back to that page. It saves a lot of time and bandwidth.....
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:34 am

Tinman57 wrote:
mbrazil wrote:All links embedded in forum posts open in the current tab. As a result, each time you click a link in a forum thread that takes you to another site, you have to back up to the Avant forum when you're done. Does the forum software have an option to open links in new tabs instead of in the current tab? If so, setting it to do that would be a good idea. It takes less time and is less of a hassle to close an additional tab than it does to get back to where you were on the forums, especially if you forget you're in the same tab and close it.
The middle mouse button (MMB) option is great. I use it more often than the LMC on web pages if I plan on coming back to that page. It saves a lot of time and bandwidth.....
When I remember to do it, I just drag and drop the link so it opens in a new tab. I just seem to forget that I need to do it about as often as I remember. I don't use the middle mouse button, because I use a Kensington trackball, I already have all four buttons programmed for other uses, and I don't like chording.

Crazy_John
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Xp Pro Sp3 x32 / Windows 7 x64
Avant Version: Avant Browser 2016 build 2
Default engine: Firefox and Chrome Rendering
IE Version: 7 and 10 but i never use it
Skin: Xito - old skins

Post by Crazy_John » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Most of the times i use MMB , but sometimes when im about to open alot of links i use CTRL+LMB , other times i also use drag and drop a link.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 pm

mbrazil wrote:When I remember to do it, I just drag and drop the link so it opens in a new tab. I just seem to forget that I need to do it about as often as I remember. I don't use the middle mouse button, because I use a Kensington trackball, I already have all four buttons programmed for other uses, and I don't like chording.
Yep, the drag and drop works good too, I just find it easier to hit the MMB. And I have no idea what "chording" is, unless your talking about a stringed instrument :!: :lol:
((((TINMAN))))

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:21 am

Tinman57 wrote: Yep, the drag and drop works good too, I just find it easier to hit the MMB. And I have no idea what "chording" is, unless your talking about a stringed instrument :!: :lol:
The Kensington Expert Mouse is a trackball (go figure) that has four buttons (picture below). You can program all of the buttons for just about anything you want them to do, including macros. You can also program actions with ctrl+, alt+, and shift+ clicks. Chording is pressing two buttons at the same time.
expertmouse.jpg
The problem with any programmable device is that you have to remember how you've got it programmed. I've got the bottom-left button set to left-click, the bottom-right to right-click, the top-left to ctrl-left-click, and the top-right to double-click. I've also got them programmed for an additional action each when I hold the Ctrl key and click a button. Obviously, I could add more using the Shift and Alt keys, but like keyboard shortcuts, it gets hard to remember very many of them, and if you can't remember them, they're more trouble than they're worth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:14 am

mbrazil do you have that ball mouse if so how much did it cost you. Tinman you said I have no idea what "chording" is, unless your talking about a stringed instrument. I play guitar never heard that term that way the close i can come to is fretting that chord :lol: :D

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:29 pm

AXEMAN wrote:mbrazil do you have that ball mouse if so how much did it cost you.
I've been using these for years. I'd never go back to a regular mouse. They are very precise (they're optical), and with the Kensington Mouseworks software that comes with them, very configurable.

Like with most things, the prices vary a lot with where you buy them. I just did a quick check online, and the best price I found was $72 (US) with shipping on ebay (buy-it-now price). There are a few on ebay auctions that are currently at lower prices, but with an auction, you never know.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 am

mbrazil wrote:
Tinman57 wrote: Yep, the drag and drop works good too, I just find it easier to hit the MMB. And I have no idea what "chording" is, unless your talking about a stringed instrument :!: :lol:
The Kensington Expert Mouse is a trackball (go figure) that has four buttons (picture below). You can program all of the buttons for just about anything you want them to do, including macros. You can also program actions with ctrl+, alt+, and shift+ clicks. Chording is pressing two buttons at the same time.
expertmouse.jpg
The problem with any programmable device is that you have to remember how you've got it programmed. I've got the bottom-left button set to left-click, the bottom-right to right-click, the top-left to ctrl-left-click, and the top-right to double-click. I've also got them programmed for an additional action each when I hold the Ctrl key and click a button. Obviously, I could add more using the Shift and Alt keys, but like keyboard shortcuts, it gets hard to remember very many of them, and if you can't remember them, they're more trouble than they're worth.
I've got an optical wheel mouse that's also programmable, even though I don't have anything programmed other than the scroll wheel. I programmed my MS keyboard favorites keys for doing those special little things, and if I forget which key does what all I have to do is hit the My Favorites button and a window pops up showing what each key does. So far I've only got 3 of them programmed. lol Ain't technology just grand? lol
((((TINMAN))))