Good move getting rid of the Orca forums

This forum is for forum-related discussion only. DO NOT post anything here regarding Avant Browser itself or regarding anything other than the forums themselves. Post in Registration/Log In Issues if you are having trouble logging in!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Forum rules
Do not post anything here that is not directly related to this forum. If you break this rule, you may receive a warning, and your post may be deleted.
mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Good move getting rid of the Orca forums

Post by mbrazil » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:04 am

:thumbup:Thanks for eliminating the Orca forums. They no longer served a purpose and were just cluttering up the index page.:thumbup:

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Good move getting rid of the Orca forums

Post by AXEMAN » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:11 pm

Yes i agree. :)

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 am

Cheers.

Brainetree
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: ie7

Post by Brainetree » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes, if you are truly never going to update Orca on its own, good to get rid of the Orca forum section, because it gave me a false hope that you just might update it. I was really addicted to Orca. I like it's icon, the name (Orca) and everything about it.

One thing I don't understand is, you have a separate Avant based on the IE engine, but not a separate Avant based on the Firefox engine. Why one and not the other? Just curious.

I have to say that the new ultimate Avant version is the best yet, but I still have Orca on my system too. Can't seem to totally let go of Orca yet, even though it truly getting too outdated for some sites.

I really got used to Orca's "Find on this page" box at the bottom of the page and miss it.

I like Orca's "Save as MHT" option. which I don't see with Avant.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:48 am

I think I can answer your questions even though I'm not affiliated with Avant.

It's been stated in these forums many times that Orca is a discontinued program and will not be updated.

Avant is a Windows-only browser, and since IE is always available on Windows computers, the "separate Avant based on the IE engine" is just Avant without the additional Gecko and WebKit engines distributed with it. While there is no way that I know of to remove IE from the current versions of Avant, you can remove Chrome simply by deleting the \Avant\webkit\ folder. All this accomplishes is the removal of the Chrome files from your hard drive and the removal of "Google Chrome" from the Tools | Default Rendering Engine menu, so there's really no point. A Firefox-only version of Avant would be a version with the Gecko engine and with access to IE blocked and made invisible in the menus. You can achieve the same thing by specifying Firefox as the default rendering engine and ignoring the IE and Chrome engines.

Your mention of the "Find on this page" box and "Save as MHT" make me think that what you're really missing about Orca are some functions that were available in Orca but aren't in the current versions of Avant with Firefox specified as the default engine. I have a couple of suggestions for these two concerns:

For "Find on this page," with the Search Bar and the Find button enabled (right-click one of the toolbars, choose Customize Buttons, and on the Other Buttons tab, click the Find checkbox) you can use the Find button to find any text in the Search Bar on the current page.
searchbar.JPG
find button.JPG
For "Save as MHT," install the Mozilla Archive Format extension (http://tinyurl.com/47chd7g). This doesn't add Save as MHT to the File menu, but once it's installed, it does add 'Web Archive, MHTML' and 'Web Archive, MAFF zipped' to the Save As dialog when you right-click a web page and choose Save Page As. The saved .mht files open in Avant with the Firefox engine when it's chosen as the default engine in Avant.
saveas.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:45 pm

Brainetree wrote:Can't seem to totally let go of Orca yet, even though it truly getting too outdated for some sites.
BTW, Orca uses a very outdated version of the Firefox engine which has a number of unpatched security holes, so I'd avoid using it if I were you.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Brainetree wrote: I really got used to Orca's "Find on this page" box at the bottom of the page and miss it.
Tools > Find on this page or CTRL F or Mikes suggestion :wink:

Brainetree
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11.7 build 23
IE Version: ie7

Post by Brainetree » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Thank you a million, guys! I appreciate your input which has solved both issues. I'm about ready to uninstall Orca for good now. The new Avant beta 136 is FANTASTIC, and I thank the developers! - you have done a tremendous job ! ! I know you are going to receive innumerable accolades and Avant is going to soar as never before.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 pm

You really should download and install the currently available build, which is 169. A lot of issues have been resolved since beta 136. These are the download links:

Avant browser 2012 build 169(IE engine only): http://browser.avantforce.com/release/absetup.exe
Avant browser 2012 build 169(Tri-core): http://browser.avantforce.com/release/asetup.exe