Again: Please recover the left side favorites bar

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

matsuda0707
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Again: Please recover the left side favorites bar

Post by matsuda0707 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:56 am

Although I requested this as an option in 107 build, and many users also requested the same option!
However it is not realized in 108.
please consider to realize the left side favorites bar as an option!

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Again: Please recover the left side favorites bar

Post by mbrazil » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:36 pm

Not having the ability to have the Sidebar back on the left side of the window where it belongs is a very major defect in builds 100 through 108. Apparently, the major bugs, design errors, feature omissions, etc. are being ignored and only minor bugs are being prioritized.

There are no worthwhile or important improvements in build 108. It's still a buggy, crippled approximation of the real Avant.

matsuda0707
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by matsuda0707 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 pm

I understood 108, and is the left sidebar realized in netx build?
Please answer your oficial for this.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 am

It's not likely to bring the sidebar to left side.
When developing the new version, we found that putting the sidebar on left side cause the page pane shake violently when opening and closing webpages, so he moved the sidebar to right side.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am

xiaobing wrote:It's not likely to bring the sidebar to left side.
When developing the new version, we found that putting the sidebar on left side cause the page pane shake violently when opening and closing webpages, so he moved the sidebar to right side.
That is unacceptable. It's a deal breaker. What you're really saying is that the new UI is causing the problem that occurs when the Sidebar is at the left side of the window, since it still works perfectly on the left side when any of the classic skins is chosen in build 23. This is just more evidence that the new UI is very poorly implemented, and its negative effects are much too big a price to pay for whatever little benefit it provides, if any. It is obvious that, if Anderson were willing to put the time and effort into it, he could find a way to resolve the problems. It also seems very likely that the problem with the Sidebar is closely related to the problems that occur when you attempt to drag the borders of the window to resize it. No matter how you look at it, there's something very wrong with the new UI, especially in the 100+ builds.

Anderson must come to accept that all the harm he's done to Avant to achieve the new UI must be undone, even if that means starting over or re-releasing a separate version of Avant without the new UI. There are way too many things that don't work properly or don't work at all, and there are way too many very important things missing from the 100+ builds. It's a mess. If Anderson is going to continue to be in denial, we should all give up and move on to some other browser, because he seems to be unwilling to accept the mess he's made and to face what must now be done to save Avant.

Why does he refuse to communicate with his user base?

Why doesn't he explain what his intentions are for Avant?

What is his motivation for discarding all the best parts of the real Avant in exchange for turning it into a Chrome copy-cat?

What on earth is going on?

Is there any hope at all that we'll ever see another build of Avant that has all the features, functionality, configurability, and reliability that existed in Avant 2012 build 194?

The way things are now, we'd all be better off if Anderson just abandoned all the work he's done since Avant 2012 build 194 and applied himself to fixing bugs and adding some of the new features that exist in 2013 build 23 with the classic skins. The new UI really has no advantages over the classic UI, and it is the cause of all the bugs, the loss of functionality, and the widespread dissatisfaction with the 100+ builds. Anderson built a great browser, but he has now destroyed it.

raya2
Windows Version: 7 SP1 x86
Avant Version: 2013
Default engine: IE
Skin: Xito

Post by raya2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Please move the Bookmarks Bar to the left. It is too much better for accessing it. (Or at least make it an option for users).
Let the Users choose the right bar or the shaky left bar :D

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 pm

xiaobing wrote:It's not likely to bring the sidebar to left side.
The Sidebar functions fine on the left (build 108), and it has no effect on the content pane at all (see the screenshot). The unfortunate thing is that, with the many bugs relating to the way the window currently works, it takes some time and effort to get it positioned on the left, and it jumps back to the right if you move the window, change skins, etc. However, as long as you don't do one of the things that triggers Avant to reset everything you've done, you can browse all you want, open new tabs, click links, etc. with absolutely no shaking or any other effects in the content pane or anywhere else. So now there's no excuse for forcing the Sidebar to be on the right.
sidebar left.jpg

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 am

I don't know how do you move the sidebar to left. But it just changes the surface,doesn't change the code. Actually, the sidebar still on right.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 am

xiaobing wrote:I don't know how do you move the sidebar to left. But it just changes the surface,doesn't change the code. Actually, the sidebar still on right.
:lol: I don't think anybody cares whether it's on the surface or in the code -- it works! If it can be done by dragging things around and everything still works, that tells me that it's possible without side-effects. It also tells me that there's something very wrong with the way it's coded, so if Anderson fixes whatever's causing the problem the way he coded it, it should work fine.

Let me reiterate: I've had the build 108 session that I took the screenshot of running for hours now. I can add new bookmarks, rearrange bookmarks by dragging them in the Sidebar, make new folders in the Sidebar, and click the bookmarks in the Sidebar to open the links they correspond to. I even changed the root of the bookmarks bar (look at the Sidebar and the Bookmarks Bar in the screenshot). The History works fine from the Sidebar too, and there is absolutely no shaking or anything else unusual occurring in the content pane or anywhere else. The Sidebar can be moved to the left side without causing any unexpected results. If it can be done by dragging pieces of the UI around, it can certainly be done in the code. Anderson just has to figure out what he did wrong.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:24 pm

mbrazil wrote:
xiaobing wrote:I don't know how do you move the sidebar to left. But it just changes the surface,doesn't change the code. Actually, the sidebar still on right.
:lol: I don't think anybody cares whether it's on the surface or in the code -- it works! If it can be done by dragging things around and everything still works, that tells me that it's possible without side-effects. It also tells me that there's something very wrong with the way it's coded, so if Anderson fixes whatever's causing the problem the way he coded it, it should work fine.

Let me reiterate: I've had the build 108 session that I took the screenshot of running for hours now. I can add new bookmarks, rearrange bookmarks by dragging them in the Sidebar, make new folders in the Sidebar, and click the bookmarks in the Sidebar to open the links they correspond to. I even changed the root of the bookmarks bar (look at the Sidebar and the Bookmarks Bar in the screenshot). The History works fine from the Sidebar too, and there is absolutely no shaking or anything else unusual occurring in the content pane or anywhere else. The Sidebar can be moved to the left side without causing any unexpected results. If it can be done by dragging pieces of the UI around, it can certainly be done in the code. Anderson just has to figure out what he did wrong.
I'm still trying to figure out how in the world you got it back to the left side..... :eh:
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:17 am

Mike uses an app called Sizer . You cannot do it without this app.
I tried this app for a while, it caused many windows problems in Avant.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:40 am

Sizer has no negative or unintended effects on any app I've ever run except the 100+ builds of Avant 2013. Even Avant 2013 build 23 is totally unaffected by Sizer. I've been using Sizer for years and have used and tried many, many other apps during that time, and the only one that has these weird problems is Avant 2013 builds 100 through 108.

Apparently the Avant window in the 100+ builds is made up of several objects that are more-or-less tied together. The content pane is not actually a pane at all -- it is a separate window that is attached to the Avant UI. The same is true for the Sidebar, the window background, and the borders. That's why the content pane and even the Sidebar sometimes appear without the rest of Avant, and Avant sometimes appears without the content pane.

Anyone can observe this for themselves in the 100+ builds by simply dragging a border to resize the Avant window ('Show window contents while dragging' must be enabled). As you drag any of the borders, the content pane, the Sidebar, and the toolbar area temporarily separate from each other and only catch up to each other when you stop moving the border. the same thing happens to a lesser degree when you drag the entire window.

I have another app that the 100+ builds are incompatible with because of strange, non-standard window implementation, Actual Window Manager, and I'm sure there are many other apps that the 100+ builds are incompatible with because of the way the interface is designed. This is unacceptable. It forces users to choose between Avant and other apps we use all the time and have paid for. This never occurred prior to the 100+ builds. By refusing to acknowledge and resolve this, Anderson is, once again, saying "Sсгеω you!" to users with the new UI in the 100+ builds.

matsuda0707
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by matsuda0707 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 pm

I posted this problem, but I feel no meaning for these long discussion;

1) Just return to 2013 build 23 (I am still using this). And put additional updates (not somany!) and release it as build 24.

2) Skin features are NOT attractive , especially, stickers and opals should be made to 1 group!

Could you please answer for this the left sidebar is realized in the next build?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:02 pm

xiaobing wrote:Mike uses an app called Sizer . You cannot do it without this app.
It also resolves many windows problems in Avant.

Zone8
Avant Version: 11.5 build 20

Post by Zone8 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Like many others - as a long time user of AB - I too am so disappointed with the Bookmarks/Favourites being on the RHS instead of the previous (like always) LHS. It is a real drawback for me (and apparently many others), especially as interferes with the page scrolling feature. I have installed - and uninstalled- different "improved-updated" versions but just have to go back to v23. Installing also changes icons and other personal settings, so not a happy bunny. The most annoying thing now is despite unchecking the "notify when a new version is available" option - when starting I just, like every time, have to click to say NO to wanting to update. Why? Unless some sensible improvements are made - like soon - I reckon I shall be a long-time client off to new pastures. It is not just a little inconvenience - it's a major annoyance. Even using v23 is a PITA with the wretched pop-up every time started (and I do that quite a few times each day!) asking to update or not, despite my clicking to not have that appear. I should mention that I have used AB for many years, in fact since it first appeared - way before the date shown, which is only for when I joined the forum.

matsuda0707
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by matsuda0707 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 am

As for the new version notification, it can besurpressed by AB option -> miscellanius -> notify me new version ..., but it does not work correctly (it still notify, but after many AB runs, it disapperas! Starnge? refer to bug report"new version update notification ").
About left side bar , it is not realized in 109!
Avant staff should answer your final one for this request! It just like Windows8 start button!

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:51 am

About the new version notification, have you tried this: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 95#p192987

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:01 pm

xiaobing wrote:Mike uses an app called Sizer . You cannot do it without this app.
Actually, Sizer doesn't directly do anything to make it possible to move the Sidebar. It's not intended for anything like that, and it does not have a similar effect on any other browser or other program of any other kind I've ever used it with. And since Sizer is always running in the background on my computer and has been for at least 10 years, I've used it with lots and lots of other software.

What Sizer does do in relation to the 100+ builds is to somehow interfere with the very weird things Anderson did to force the various components of the new UI (the Sidebar, the content pane, the title bar, the toolbar area, and the borders) to look as if they're a single window, which they're not. The Avant window in the 100+ builds is really a group of component windows 'glued' together, and the 'glue' doesn't work very well. For some reason, Sizer gets in the way of the segments of the code in the 100+ builds that force the component 'windows' to look like one window.

The bottom line is that Sizer isn't the problem -- the code for the new Avant UI is the problem. I use another app (this one is commercial, not freeware) that Avant doesn't play nicely with, Actual Window Manager. Both of these apps are made to help control and adjust the size, position, and other aspects of whichever program windows you use them with. From the evidence I've observed with both of these programs that work well with pretty much every other program I use them with, I'm pretty sure that the Avant 100+ builds are going conflict with any program that can affect the size and position of other programs' windows. Like with Sizer, I'm forced to choose between Avant 2013-100+ and Sizer -- I can't use both, and I use Sizer every day with many other programs. This is one of the reasons that I'm forced to stay with build 23 or switch to a different browser. There are algorithms in Avant 2013-100+ that 'break' other programs.

The current coding of Avant is the source of these problems. It's the wrong way to do it, and it's going to show up in many negative ways over time as more users update to the new builds or try Avant for the first time.