Changes to the installer

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Changes to the installer

Post by mbrazil » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:53 am

These are changes and additions to the Avant installers that would improve both the installer itself and the overall Avant experience:

+ Add an "Update Only" option (between Standard and Custom) that would simply update the currently installed version of Avant without making any changes to anything except the files in the Avant program folders (even if all the files will be replaced). At present, to update without creating unnecessary shortcuts, you have to choose Custom, click Next, verify the installation path, click Next, uncheck Desktop Shortcut, Start Menu Folder, Start Menu Shortcut, and Quick Launch Shortcut, and finally click Install. If you just leave it set for Standard and click Install, you then have to delete all of these shortcuts. And if you've moved the Avant folder from Programs to another place in the Start menu, you have to delete the one the installer just created in Programs. Either way, it's much simpler to just choose Update Only in the first window, and click Install, and it should be a relatively simple change to make. It makes no sense anyway to create new shortcuts when the program is already installed. Either they're already there, or the user previously moved or deleted them and doesn't need new ones.

+ Add options to install only the new UI (and skins), only the old UI (and skins), or both (official names for both UIs are needed *). It's obvious that the code for the new UI causes problems for the old UI, and probably vice versa. Why even have the ability to switch between them if you only intend to use one or the other? If someone wants to add the one they didn't install, they only have to run the installer again and choose Both.

+ Add code to the installer to ensure that it never changes any user settings whatsoever and that, when you start Avant the first time after an update, it looks and works EXACTLY the way it did before the update. This means that it starts up with the same UI, skin, toolbars, toolbar buttons, and configuration settings that were in use immediately prior to the update, and if there are any new features, they are not enabled by default (the toolbar and button positions should be the same too). Avant has a very nasty habit of sometimes reverting all the UI settings back to default after installing a new version. That should never, ever happen!

+ Add code to the installer to automatically make a backup of the entire Avant Profiles folder prior to starting the installation, and add an option in Avant to restore this profile backup. That way, if something goes wrong, the user has something to fall back on to put things right again.

* Calling one the "new UI" and the other one the "old skins" isn't clear, and someone who's new to Avant won't have any idea what's being referred to. :wtf: How about if we call the "old skins" the Classic UI (Classic User Interface in the installer)? I haven't been able to come up with a good suggestion for a name for the "new UI" (actually, I have, but it wouldn't be nice to mention them). :lol: Maybe somebody else here has some ideas.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Re: Changes to the installer

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

I think you are on the right track mike. I believe that if someone new just downloaded avant for the first time it would hard to make sence of it. It is getting :crazy:

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Update only is a great idea.. I'd like to see that added.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:43 am

* Calling one the "new UI" and the other one the "old skins" isn't clear, and someone who's new to Avant won't have any idea what's being referred to. :wtf: How about if we call the "old skins" the Classic UI (Classic User Interface in the installer)? I haven't been able to come up with a good suggestion for a name for the "new UI" (actually, I have, but it wouldn't be nice to mention them). :lol: Maybe somebody else here has some ideas.
'
Ok, classic UI :)
+ Add options to install only the new UI (and skins), only the old UI (and skins), or both
This one is impossible I think.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:08 am

xiaobing wrote:+ Add options to install only the new UI (and skins), only the old UI (and skins), or both.

This one is impossible I think.
Impossible? I doubt that. Difficult maybe, time-consuming maybe, Anderson won't consider it maybe, but impossible?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:01 am

mbrazil wrote: Impossible? I doubt that. Difficult maybe, time-consuming maybe, Anderson won't consider it maybe, but impossible?
These are the main reasons why it's impossible. There're a lot of requests, but only a small part on the list can be implemented in the end.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 am

xiaobing wrote:These are the main reasons why it's impossible. There're a lot of requests, but only a small part on the list can be implemented in the end.
So it's possible, but you just aren't interested in considering it. Nothing can be proven to be impossible.

This one change would resolve many bugs, both current and future.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:40 am

How about letting users delete the skins they don't like?
List all the skins under Program Files\Avant Browser\Skins and let users delete some of them here.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 am

xiaobing wrote:How about letting users delete the skins they don't like?
List all the skins under Program Files\Avant Browser\Skins and let users delete some of them here.
Is the code for the entire new UI contained in each of the new skins, or is there some underlying code for the new UI with the skins implemented on top of it? Would choosing to install one UI or the other just be a matter of which skins are installed? What I'm after is simplifying the installed browser by not installing parts that you won't use. As we've discussed, it seems as though the implementation of the new UI in Avant 2013 introduced a lot of new bugs and brought back some old ones that had been fixed (even when using only the classic UI/skins).

We're really talking about five things when we talk about the classic and new UIs: appearance (skins), features and functionality, configurability, stability, and performance. What I'm unhappy with in the new UI isn't the appearance of the new skins (other than that the individual components of the skins tend to be larger than the equivalent components in the classic skins). I'm unhappy about all the bugs, the lack of stability, the reduced configurability, the loss of the ability to have things like the menu bar (and others) shown at all times, and the loss of convenient access to features and commands. Being able to delete skins does nothing except to reduce clutter in the Skins menu.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 pm

So you say it can be done but you or anderson just do not want to take the time. Thats just silly :crazy:
So it's possible, but you just aren't interested in considering it. Nothing can be proven to be impossible.

This one change would resolve many bugs, both current and future.