Please limit the auto-complete feature for URL's

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

PredatorKing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 b. 4
IE Version: 9.0.8112.16457

Please limit the auto-complete feature for URL's

Post by PredatorKing » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:48 pm

While I do love having the auto-complete feature turned on for URL's, it becomes more of an annoyance than a help when it goes ahead and fills in multiple sub-directories (forward-slashes) of the URL. When I press Enter after an auto-complete, and I have only filled out the URL to the main domain (.com) portion, I expect Auto-complete to be smart enough to take me only to the main domain of the site. Instead, I have run into multiple instances where the auto-complete feature will fill in multiple sub-directories' worth of information and leading me to a specific page of a website (other than the homepage) before I press Enter, unwittingly, and navigate to the wrong location of a site.

Therefore, I am asking that you please limit the functionality of the auto-complete function, to where it will only fill in the next sub-directory if I type the forward slash (indicating that I want to delve deeper into the site's directories). I hope this is clear enough, but I can always clarify if necessary.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Please limit the auto-complete feature for URL's

Post by mbrazil » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:59 pm

That's an excellent suggestion! I second it.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 am

Can you show me the problem using an example? Sorry for my poor understanding ability.
For example, you input forum.avantbrowser.com/ in the address bar and press Enter, doesn't the main page of Avant forum open?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 am

Here's an example:
If I typed forum.a, the auto-complete might fill out the url with vantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32377. Instead, it should just stop at vantbrowser.com/. In other words, I should end up with 'http://forum.avantbrowser.com/' in the address bar instead of 'http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32377'.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:28 am

Is it possible that your mouse is hover on another link on the drop down list when you press Enter key?
1.png

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:12 am

We're talking about the auto-completion that takes place in the address bar itself as you're typing. Since you're typing (in my case anyway, since I touch-type) I'm not using the mouse at this time at all, and the mouse cursor is still over the address bar itself.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 pm

Yes guys i agree 8)

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm confused. When I start to type a URL into the address bar, it autocompletes ONLY to the first alphabetical result, showing a drop-down with that result and others that might be right if I continue to type--all in alphabetical order. That SHOULD give you the mainpage first (as you have requested), followed by subpages. So ... if I want to come to the AB forum, I type "f" and the address bar autocompletes with the mainpage for the AB forum and the dropdown shows that same URL followed by the URLs for subpages on the forum. I've tried this on pages rendered with both IE and Firefox (both using the Aero Glass skin) and it's worked fine. If you get a different result, could it be related to the skin or something else?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:11 pm

This doesn't happen every time or even most of the time, but like PredatorKing, I've had it happen often enough that it's annoying at times.

PredatorKing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
Avant Version: Ultimate 2013 b. 4
IE Version: 9.0.8112.16457

Post by PredatorKing » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Here's an example: Let's say I want to visit Google's Webmaster Tools. I usually like to access this via http://google.com/webmasters. However, the auto-complete likes to jump in and fill out the URL to be http://google.com/webmasters/tools. This will bring me to the same place, in this case, but there are other cases where the information after the second forward slash is completely different and brings me to a page that I do not want to go to.

Therefore, I am asking that you could limit the auto-complete's ability to fill in URL's by the amount of slashes. Going back to my example, the auto-complete feature often likes to change the URL to http://google.com/webmasters/tools by the time I've typed the m in webmasters. Under the new limitation, it would not add the word tools on the end of the URL until I had finished typing out webmasters and manually added the next forward slash.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 am

brawnymike wrote:I'm confused. When I start to type a URL into the address bar, it autocompletes ONLY to the first alphabetical result, showing a drop-down with that result and others that might be right if I continue to type--all in alphabetical order. That SHOULD give you the mainpage first (as you have requested), followed by subpages. So ... if I want to come to the AB forum, I type "f" and the address bar autocompletes with the mainpage for the AB forum and the dropdown shows that same URL followed by the URLs for subpages on the forum. I've tried this on pages rendered with both IE and Firefox (both using the Aero Glass skin) and it's worked fine. If you get a different result, could it be related to the skin or something else?
This is exactly what happens to me. :D
Therefore, I am asking that you could limit the auto-complete's ability to fill in URL's by the amount of slashes. Going back to my example, the auto-complete feature often likes to change the URL to http://google.com/webmasters/tools by the time I've typed the m in webmasters. Under the new limitation, it would not add the word tools on the end of the URL until I had finished typing out webmasters and manually added the next forward slash.
Recorded