Tool bars & buttons not available for FF & Chrome addons

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

abuser
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 & 8.1
Avant Version: Latest
Default engine: Based on requirement
IE Version: IE 11
Skin: Opal Glass

Tool bars & buttons not available for FF & Chrome addons

Post by abuser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Hi,

whenever any chrome or firefox add on is added & if it has a tool bar or button its either not shown or available in Avant

for example: http://www.one-tab.com/

this issue can be seen in all ultimate versions.....is there anything can be done for enabling these? thanks

Regards
ABUser

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Re: Tool bars & buttons not available for FF & Chrome addons

Post by mbrazil » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

With the firefox engine, most buttons from add-ons (extensions) can be placed either in the Add-on Bar or in a toolbar you create yourself. Try this:

1. In the Avant Tools menu, choose Firefox as your Default Rendering Engine, or just open a tab with the firefox engine.
2. With any tab displayed that's using the firefox engine, go to Tools > Firefox, and click Add-on Bar, which appears at the bottom of the content pane.
3. Right-click the Add-on Bar, and click Customize.
4. In the Customize Toolbar dialog box, locate the button for the add-on you want to use. (If it's not there, go to step 5.)
5. Check the Add-on Bar to see if the button for the add-on is already there.
6. If you plan to keep the Add-on Bar visible rather than creating your own toolbar, and the button isn't already in the Add-on Bar, drag the button from the Customize Toolbar dialog to the Add-on Bar.

If you'd rather make your own toolbar and then disable the Add-on Bar, do this:

1. Click the Add New Toolbar button and provide a name for the new toolbar (the name does not appear on the toolbar itself).
2. With the Customize Toolbar dialog still displayed, drag the buttons you want to use from the Customize Toolbar dialog and from the Add-on Bar to your new toolbar.

The Add-on Bar is always at the bottom of the content pane, and any toolbar(s) you add are always at the top. The Add-on Bar and the custom toolbars cannot be moved to other positions.

There is also an extension that creates a vertical toolbar that you can position at the left or right side of the content pane (http://www.xuldev.org/verticaltoolbar). When this extension is installed and active, you can drag buttons to it from the Customize Toolbar dialog, the Add-on Bar, and from any custom toolbars you've created. You can also drag buttons freely between the vertical toolbar, the Add-on Bar, and any custom toolbars you create as long as the Customize Toolbar dialog is currently displayed. To remove a button from a toolbar, drag it to the Customize Toolbar dialog.

You might also want to consider another extension that adds a collection of buttons to the Customize Toolbar dialog that can be dragged to any of the currently displayed toolbars. It's called Toolbar Buttons, and it's available at http://codefisher.org/toolbar_button.

c1661638
Windows Version: 7
Avant Version: 2013 latest
Default engine: firefox
IE Version: 9
Skin: Xito

Post by c1661638 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:48 am

mbrazil wrote: 4. In the Customize Toolbar dialog box, locate the button for the add-on you want to use. (If it's not there, go to step 5.)
5. Check the Add-on Bar to see if the button for the add-on is already there.
Unfortunately, most firefox addons do not duplicate their button in Add-on Bar (they install it only in the interface of the browser). So I had to abandon the use of the many exciting addons...

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:07 pm

c1661638 wrote:Unfortunately, most firefox addons do not duplicate their button in Add-on Bar (they install it only in the interface of the browser). So I had to abandon the use of the many exciting addons...
I guess it's a matter of which extensions you're using. I use six that have their own buttons, and they all make their buttons available in the Customize Toolbar dialog or place them in the Add-on Bar initially. My experience has been that, of the extensions I've tried out, most of them added their buttons to the Add-on Bar or to the Customize Toolbars dialog.

I've used Avant almost exclusively for so long that I never experimented with Firefox extensions outside of Avant and Orca, so I never got hooked on any that implement their buttons in the Firefox interface instead of in the Add-on Bar and the Customize Toolbar dialog. When I test an extension and find that it only works with the Firefox browser interface, I just remove it and go looking for a different one that doesn't require the Firefox UI, or if I can't find one, I do without it. Maybe if you look around at the available Firefox extensions, you'll find some that serve the same purposes as the ones you want to use but make their buttons available so you can place them in Firefox toolbars.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:41 pm

I had one extension that put a button in the FF UI. I managed to make the button appear in the Customize area by clicking Restore Default Set on the Customize Toolbar dialog

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:48 pm

bigC wrote:I had one extension that put a button in the FF UI. I managed to make the button appear in the Customize area by clicking Restore Default Set on the Customize Toolbar dialog
That's very interesting, bigC. I never thought of trying that. Hopefully, I'll remember it the next time I come across an extension that puts its button(s) in the UI instead of in Customize Toolbars or the Add-on Bar. Thanks! :clap:

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:32 pm

The only downside is you'll have to reposition all your other buttons again as they will return to the dialog as well.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 am

Considering that I don't try out new extensions very often, it would still be worth it. I actually keep a screenshot of my toolbars saved so at least I know how I had them before I made any changes.

abuser
Fan
Fan

Post by abuser » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying!!

Special thanks to "mbrazil" for the detailed instructions :)

i have chosen Chrome as my default rendering engine so how to enable required add-on's for it? any help is highly appriciated

Thanks & Regards
ABuser

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by Climhazard » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Unfortunately there isn't an integrated chromium extensions toolbar in Avant, so you can't have the icon for extensions to show up as far as i know. The only way i found to activate extensions in chromium rendering engine is by going to chromium extensions menu and set keyboard shortcut for extension you want (Click on "Keyboard shortcuts" button in lower right corner and set shortcut to any combination for example Alt + z ).

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 pm

abuser wrote:Special thanks to "mbrazil" for the detailed instructions :)
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. :)
abuser wrote:i have chosen Chrome as my default rendering engine so how to enable required add-on's for it? any help is highly appriciated
I rarely use the Chrome engine, so I can't help you much with it. As far as I know, the only way to enable/disable add-ons in the Chrome engine in Avant is to go to chrome://chrome/extensions/.

With regard to choosing Chrome as your default engine, be aware that it uses a lot more memory than the IE and Firefox engines. Firefox uses the least.

abuser
Fan
Fan

Post by abuser » Sat May 25, 2013 9:36 am

Climhazard wrote:Unfortunately there isn't an integrated chromium extensions toolbar in Avant, so you can't have the icon for extensions to show up as far as i know. The only way i found to activate extensions in chromium rendering engine is by going to chromium extensions menu and set keyboard shortcut for extension you want (Click on "Keyboard shortcuts" button in lower right corner and set shortcut to any combination for example Alt + z ).

Thanks for your quick help!! :clap:

i will try with this option but in my opinion its good to have a bar or make chrome add-ons appear by default.

team can you please consider this as a feature request? thanks

abuser
Fan
Fan

Post by abuser » Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 am

mbrazil wrote:
abuser wrote:Special thanks to "mbrazil" for the detailed instructions :)
You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. :)
abuser wrote:i have chosen Chrome as my default rendering engine so how to enable required add-on's for it? any help is highly appriciated
I rarely use the Chrome engine, so I can't help you much with it. As far as I know, the only way to enable/disable add-ons in the Chrome engine in Avant is to go to chrome://chrome/extensions/.

With regard to choosing Chrome as your default engine, be aware that it uses a lot more memory than the IE and Firefox engines. Firefox uses the least.
Thank you "mbrazil" :)

but as far i know, read & heard...chrome uses less memory compared to FF. can you provide any link or document about mem & cpu usage used by IE, FF, chrome? thank you

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat May 25, 2013 8:41 pm

abuser wrote:as far i know, read & heard...chrome uses less memory compared to FF. can you provide any link or document about mem & cpu usage used by IE, FF, chrome? thank you
This used to be the case, but in recent and current versions of Chrome and Firefox, that's no longer true. Mozilla has done a lot of work to reduce Firefox's memory usage, and Chrome's memory usage has grown a lot. Here are a few reports that show this:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/21/chrome ... -explorer/
http://www.zdnet.com/time-to-take-anoth ... 000009692/
http://lifehacker.com/5976082/browser-s ... opera-1212

abuser
Fan
Fan

Post by abuser » Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 am

mbrazil wrote:
abuser wrote:as far i know, read & heard...chrome uses less memory compared to FF. can you provide any link or document about mem & cpu usage used by IE, FF, chrome? thank you
This used to be the case, but in recent and current versions of Chrome and Firefox, that's no longer true. Mozilla has done a lot of work to reduce Firefox's memory usage, and Chrome's memory usage has grown a lot. Here are a few reports that show this:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/06/21/chrome ... -explorer/
http://www.zdnet.com/time-to-take-anoth ... 000009692/
http://lifehacker.com/5976082/browser-s ... opera-1212
Thank you mbrazil :)

plz check this: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/battle-of-th ... ory-usage/

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun May 26, 2013 5:40 am

The first Firefox version Mozilla released that included memory-usage improvements was version 15, which was released on Aug. 28, 2012. The next few versions included further improvements to reduce memory consumption, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't until version 18 that all the bugs relating to memory consumption were resolved. Version 18 was released Jan. 18, 2013, which was several months after the review on Raymond's site was written.

abuser
Fan
Fan

Post by abuser » Sun May 26, 2013 2:47 pm

mbrazil wrote:The first Firefox version Mozilla released that included memory-usage improvements was version 15, which was released on Aug. 28, 2012. The next few versions included further improvements to reduce memory consumption, and if I recall correctly, it wasn't until version 18 that all the bugs relating to memory consumption were resolved. Version 18 was released Jan. 18, 2013, which was several months after the review on Raymond's site was written.
Thanks once again Mike :D

didn't know about the release date.....i usually use IE & chrome, hardly use FF :)