Add a command to refresh all for each engine

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:38 am

When the Firefox engine crashes (which it does frequently), and I have one or more tabs open with the IE and/or Chrome engines in addition to the Firefox tabs, there is no way to refresh all of the Firefox tabs without refreshing the tabs using the other engine(s) too. Sometimes, this doesn't matter, but often I am in the process of doing something in one of those other tabs, and I have to start over if I refresh them. It also takes longer to reload all the tabs than it would to reload just the Firefox tabs.

This could be avoided if there was a command to refresh all the tabs that use just one of the engines. For example, you could add commands like Refresh All Firefox Tabs, Refresh All IE Tabs, and Refresh All Chrome Tabs to the drop-down menu for the Refresh button. These could also be added to the context menu for a RMC on a web page and/or to the Tools menu. Another good way would be to add Refresh All to each of the submenus for the engines (in the Tools menu).

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Re: Add a command to refresh all for each engine

Post by AbelAbel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:04 am

Why not refresh all after you finish the work on that tab. If firefox is your default engine, I think just a few tabs use ie/chrome engine. Refresh several tabs more won't take you much time.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:30 am

AbelAbel wrote:Why not refresh all after you finish the work on that tab. If firefox is your default engine, I think just a few tabs use ie/chrome engine. Refresh several tabs more won't take you much time.
Firefox is my default engine, but I frequently have to work in IE when entering text (like right now), because the delay bug makes it painful, if not impossible, to do much text entry or editing in the Firefox-engine tabs. The problem with refreshing everything is that I frequently go back and forth between tab windows to refer to other threads, sites, etc., and since these are open in Firefox by default, I can no longer get to them to read or copy what I need, so I cannot finish working in the IE tabs first.

What I have to do before refreshing all the tabs is to copy my existing, unfinished text that I'm working on in one or more IE tabs, paste it into a text editor, and save the file. Then, I can refresh all the tabs, wait for them all to reload, and paste the text back into the IE tabs. Sometimes I also have to re-navigate to the page where I was working, because some sites won't reload using the URL last in use, or because they require me to log in again first. This is especially true of financial sites, since the only safe way to leave those sites prior to refreshing all tabs is to log out of each one first. The bottom line is that this takes a lot longer than just waiting for all the tabs to reload, and it frequently becomes a major PITA. Just reloading 20 or 30 tabs wastes a lot of time and is very frustrating. I've seen others post that they have as many as 70 tabs open at one time, and it could take a very long time to reload all of them, especially if the user doesn't have a really fast connection.

There are a couple other issues here that I'll respond to in advance before anyone gets around to asking about them: First, at some point, whatever's responsible for the Firefox instability and crashing (whether the problem is in the Firefox engine, Avant itself, or a combination of the two) may get fixed, and then we won't have to refresh all tabs as often. However, considering that there's a new version of the Firefox engine every six weeks, I have little or no confidence that one of these updates won't bring the problem back or create another one that has the same effect. This could also happen with the IE and Chrome engines. Microsoft or Google could issue a buggy update that destabilizes one or both of those engines. Second, we each have a preferred engine that we choose as the default. I'm not about to switch my default engine to IE or Chrome for a couple of reasons. Neither one has anywhere near the number and quality of available extensions that Firefox has. Also, I just don't like Chrome, pages load more slowly with it than with the Firefox engine, and it uses even more memory than Firefox does.

What's the point in resisting improvements to the user interface? When a command or capability is obviously left out, it should be added back in. Anything else is just a workaround, and if it takes a lot of undocumented workarounds to use a program, people will find something else that's more complete and easier to use.

I probably should have titled my request "Put in the Refresh All command for each engine that should have been there in the first place" instead of Add a command... I really don't understand why there's always someone who resists every suggested improvement to the user interface on the basis that there's a workaround. It's like, "You can already do this by doing the following seven things and waiting an extra five minutes, so why add a command that would make it possible to do it in one step and save most of that time." Shouldn't we all be trying to make Avant better instead of trying to prevent improvements? I want Avant to be around for a very long time, but the less complete and more difficult the user interface is, the more likely it is that Avant will get a bad reputation and lose market share.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello mike i think the improvements will come with the 2013 versions read it on here some where. :)

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:57 pm

AXEMAN wrote:Hello mike i think the improvements will come with the 2013 versions read it on here some where. :)
And I'm about to bust a blood vessel waiting for the new version too. =P~
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:55 am

Recorded

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:58 am

Well, what you said sounds reasonable and the feature may be useful for you, but personally, I don't like it. What I want is just a simple and fast Avant with the features most of the users need. The more functions Avant add, the heavier it will become.
No offence, just a personal opinion.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 am

AbelAbel wrote:Well, what you said sounds reasonable and the feature may be useful for you, but personally, I don't like it. What I want is just a simple and fast Avant with the features most of the users need. The more functions Avant add, the heavier it will become.
No offence, just a personal opinion.
A change like that shouldn't add much at all in the way of overhead. The code for the functionality should already exist. It would just be a minor modification to the menu structure.

No offense taken. I also want to apologize for the tone of my post. I wasn't in the best of moods at that point in time. :oops:

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:04 am

Adding a new feature involves new scripts added to the menus and translation to other languages, so they're only considerable in avant 2013.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 am

Jasmine wrote:Adding a new feature involves new scripts added to the menus and translation to other languages, so they're only considerable in avant 2013.
See guys i told you 2013 as i said then when i read it the first time in another thread. If you believe in that the world is going to end we will all be dead just before christmas. So do we buy christmas gifts or wait til the last day before the 25th i believe it said either the 21th or the 23 third :lol: . MIKE you said I also want to apologize for the tone of my post. I wasn't in the best of moods at that point in time. For me i found it rather informative i believe your tone was honest and correct. Well we all know i have posted a few posts in my time also because of the way i felt right when it happened that had a real bad tone way worse then yours :lol:

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Jasmine wrote:Adding a new feature involves new scripts added to the menus and translation to other languages, so they're only considerable in avant 2013.
I was responding more to AbelAbel's comment "The more functions Avant add, the heavier it will become." Having to wait for it in Avant 2013 is not in any way a problem for me.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite

Post by AXEMAN » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Well i was refering to

would not be added til 2013 version and even then who knows when. :)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 am

Added this feature in 2013, please try 2013 beta 2

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 am

xiaobing wrote:Added this feature in 2013, please try 2013 beta 2
Thanks very much! :clap:

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
Skin: default

Post by darth » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:46 pm

HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="15"

I believe for every html page the above is or is should be inserted.
It is the web designer who does this. the number 15 can be changed.
This is inserted at the top as a meta tag I think.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits