Avant should remember its window size and position

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Avant should remember its window size and position

Post by mbrazil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Avant always opens full-screen regardless of the size of its window in the previous session. It should remember the size and position of its window from the previous session and apply those settings the next time it starts.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Avant should remember its window size and position

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 pm

That's a function in Windows that would always make me bang my head against the desk when it didn't work... and it wasn't dependable until Vista.

I think you'll find that all of a sudden it might start working with Avant... and stop working for something else.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:17 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:That's a function in Windows that would always make me bang my head against the desk when it didn't work... and it wasn't dependable until Vista.

I think you'll find that all of a sudden it might start working with Avant... and stop working for something else.
Avant has never once retained and re-applied the previous-session's size and position in any version of Avant I've ever used (I've been using Avant since around 2004), and I've never had any other program that was able to do this properly stop doing it, except for a single session once in a while. I wouldn't know about Vista, because I dumped it after trying it for a couple of months (Vista was an utter piece of crap) and I decided going to Windows 7 wasn't worth the trouble since I'd customized XP so extensively (Win7 is installed as a multi-boot OS on my PC and so is Kubuntu Linux, but I still use XP almost exclusively). If a program is coded to save and reuse the size and position data from the previous session itself, it will always work. If a program is coded to depend on Windows to do it, it may not work at all or it may work intermittently.

The reason I decided to bring it up again now is that I've been having to restart Avant so often recently. I realize I'm running a beta version and that these kinds of problems (frequent restarts) are to be expected with a beta, but it does get annoying to have it start up full-screen every time, especially on a 28-inch monitor. I actually run a program (Actual Window Manager) that I use to control this sort of thing, but just having Avant start up full screen and then get automatically resized and repositioned by Actual Window Manager a second or so later is quite annoying in itself (it's hard on the eyes), and it shouldn't be happening.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 am

Why can avant keep the windows position and size here? Do you mean after restarting windows, avant doesn't remember the previous status?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Jasmine wrote:Why can avant keep the windows position and size here? Do you mean after restarting windows, avant doesn't remember the previous status?
Every time I start Avant it always opens full-screen whether I've restarted Windows or not. I never leave it full-screen, so it's always in a window when I shut it down, but it never opens in a window the next time.

Nikata
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build 16
IE Version: 8

Post by Nikata » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:54 am

If a program is coded to depend on Windows to do it, it may not work at all or it may work intermittently.
I'm not sure but think Avant is coded to depend on Windows to remember the window size and position.
I use win7 , the size and position can be remembered.
Do you have the same problem when using other browser?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:40 am

Nikata wrote:
If a program is coded to depend on Windows to do it, it may not work at all or it may work intermittently.
I use win7 , the size and position can be remembered.
Do you have the same problem when using other browser?
I running XP SP3 x32. Both IE8 and Firefox 11 open in the same position and window size they were at in the previous session. Those are the only other browsers I have installed.

If Avant is coded to use Windows for sizing and positioning, then it could be an XP problem as hornakapopolis suggested. Avant is the only app I use that always starts full-screen, and it's the only app I use that doesn't reliably start up at the size and position it was set to at the end of its last session. Either all the other apps are written to manage sizing and positioning on their own, or they're utilizing the windows capability for this in some way that's different from the way Avant is. I'm far from alone as far as sticking with XP as long as security updates remain available from Microsoft (at least another year or two), so I think it's a mistake to depend on Windows to handle something like this when there's obviously something wrong.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:43 am

Doing a quick search, it doesn't appear that it is an XP thing, although I haven't experienced the issue in some time. I know I did run into it once or twice in Vista, but look around the net, you'll find plenty of mention of Windows 7 having the issue, XP, as well as others questioning it for specific programs.

We used to get a ton of questions here about it, too, but the only one I can find now was because Avant wasn't being closed. The others have probably since been deleted. (I know I ordered my Vista system in April of '08, so at the time of that post I was running XP, too.) So, it must still be an issue across Windows versions as I see there are still plenty of different applications out there that try to resolve the issue.

It sounds to me like that registry setting in Windows isn't the best way to handle it

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Avant always remembers its size and position here.

Mike, do you have multiple monitors?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:36 am

Yes, I have two monitors. I always run Avant on the primary monitor, and it does open (full screen) on just the primary monitor.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 am

I expanded my screen to the second monitor, I can't either replay the problem. Does it have something to do with the display driver? You expand the screen by desktop right click menu->properties->settings or via a software?
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:12 am

I've got it set up using Actual Window Manager (http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/). ATI's Catalyst Control Center is also capable of making changes to this, but the two seem to be aware of each other's settings, as changes made in one show up in the other, and no problems or conflicts occur.

It could be that Actual Window Manager, Catalyst Control Center, or a combination of the two is causing some interaction with Avant, but if so, Avant is the only application I use that is affected, including IE8 and Firefox 11.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:56 am

A recent update to Actual Window Manager to ver. 7.0 changed the symptoms of this, and this gave me a clue as to what was causing the problem. It turns out this was an interaction between Actual Window Manager and Avant combined with some settings I was using in Actual Window Manger. Avant no longer opens full screen when it was running in a window in the previous session.

However, there is still a problem with Avant not starting in same size window it was running in when the previous session ended. In this case, the problem is definitely not an interaction with Actual Window Manager, as I can work around the problem using settings for Avant in Actual Window Manager, but when the rule for Avant in Actual Window Manager is disabled, or Actual Window Manager isn't running at all, Avant doesn't reinstate the previous window size.

I run Avant in a 1360 x 1202 window almost all the time. With Actual Window Manager shut down, Avant opens in a 1360 x 960 window after exiting the previous session in a 1360 x 1202 window. This is 100% repeatable.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:54 am

mbrazil wrote: I run Avant in a 1360 x 1202 window almost all the time. With Actual Window Manager shut down, Avant opens in a 1360 x 960 window after exiting the previous session in a 1360 x 1202 window. This is 100% repeatable.
I can confirm this.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:23 am

Fixed in ultimate 2012 beta 130

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:40 pm

xiaobing wrote:Fixed in ultimate 2012 beta 130
This is NOT fixed in beta 130. With Actual Window Manager shut down, Avant still opens in a 1360 x 960 window every time after exiting the previous session in a 1360 x 1202 window.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 am

Thanks for your feedback.Jasmine will test it later.I just have one monitor.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Just to add an observation to this thread (which proves nothing either way, but here it is) ...

I have four monitors, see here for a photo: http://notestoneunturned.blogspot.com.a ... ashes.html ... Don't you love the pandas?

For me, Avant (currently Firefox rendering mode) has always remembered that it was last on monitor number 2, not the promary monitor, and always re-opens on monitor two.

I have used Actual Window Manager in the past, and Actual Multiple Monitors, but currently don't have either of these as I've managed to get all that I want with plain vanilla Windows 7 plus WinRoll (see http://www.palma.com.au/winroll/ ).
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:20 pm

notestracker wrote:... Don't you love the pandas?
:thumbup: Who doesn't love pandas?
notestracker wrote:For me, Avant (currently Firefox rendering mode) has always remembered that it was last on monitor number 2, not the promary monitor, and always re-opens on monitor two.
Same here. That's one problem I haven't ever had -- it always opens on the same monitor it was on in the previous session, with or without Actual Window Manager. It's only the size of its window that it doesn't get right, and I'm able to get around that with Actual Window Manager.
notestracker wrote:I have used Actual Window Manager in the past, and Actual Multiple Monitors, but currently don't have either of these as I've managed to get all that I want with plain vanilla Windows 7 plus WinRoll
I'll probably move to Win 7 eventually. Windows 8 maybe not. I haven't actually tried the Win 8 preview, but from all I've read and seen, it looks like it will be more hassle than its worth unless you run it on a tablet or a PC with a touch screen, and I have no use for either of those.