[Recorded]Improve "Paste and Go" in address bar

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

[Recorded]Improve "Paste and Go" in address bar

Post by mbrazil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:40 am

Would it be possible to expand the flexibility of the Paste and Go command (in the address bar context menu) such that you could use it to paste some additional characters into a partial URL that's already in the address bar, and it would then use the entire contents of the address bar as the URL instead of just the characters you pasted?

For example, I have a bookmark that contains the following link:

_https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... _tLabels1=

(Ignore the underscore at the beginning of the line. It's there to prevent the address from being converted to a clickable link in this post.)

This opens the USPS tracking site (the page includes an error message from USPS that can be ignored). I then paste a tracking number at the end of the URL in the address bar, such that it looks like this:

_https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... _tLabels1=9405503699300410013446

If I use Paste and Go, it uses "9405503699300410013446" as the complete URL, which obviously doesn't work, so I have to choose the Paste command and then click the Go button. I'd like to see the Paste and Go command enhanced so it uses the entire string in the address bar even though it pasted in only part of the URL string.

I do this for several different tracking sites so I can leave the tab(s) open and recheck the tracking status later on by just refreshing the tab.

I'd also suggest that, if you do implement this, you make it a little more flexible by making it work for URL strings that have been altered by pasting text anywhere, rather than just at the end of the string.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Improve "Paste and Go" in address bar

Post by Jasmine » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:46 am

mbrazil wrote: so I have to choose the Paste command and then click the Go button.
For the moment, you need three steps for opening the new address: choose/paste/go button.
After improving this, you'll need two steps:choose/paste and go the new link
Do you still want one step to make it?
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:16 am

Jasmine wrote:For the moment, you need three steps for opening the new address: choose/paste/go button.
After improving this, you'll need two steps:choose/paste and go the new link
Do you still want one step to make it?
Hi Jasmine,

I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me explain something -- It's not the extra step of having to click the Go button that motivated me to create the request. What happens a lot is that I've gotten so used to using Paste and Go that I end up clicking it from habit instead of remembering to click Paste instead in this situation. Then I have to go back and do the whole operation over, because it's already trying to use the pasted string as a complete URL.

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

I can see that as being useful sometimes, but is it worth the functionality? Seems like something along the lines of:
"Append and Go" and "Insert and Go"

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm

bksening wrote:I can see that as being useful sometimes, but is it worth the functionality? Seems like something along the lines of:
"Append and Go" and "Insert and Go"
That would clutter the menu with a total of four paste items, and it wouldn't help to prevent clicking the wrong one by mistake. Enhancing the capabilities of Paste and Go is a much more elegant, effective, and useful solution.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:50 am

I see.
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Until something like this gets implemented, have you considered using a Quick Search?

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:20 am

hornakapopolis wrote:Until something like this gets implemented, have you considered using a Quick Search?
No, I hadn't, and thanks for the suggestion -- it got me thinking about it, and I realized there's an even better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I've got Google set as my default search engine, so if I use the Paste and Search command to paste just the tracking number into my Search bar, Google supplies a results page that contains a link to the correct tracking site (UPS, USPS, or Fedex) with my tracking number already appended to it (Google is smart enough to recognize which type of tracking number you search for). This actually requires fewer keyboard/mouse actions than it would if the Paste and Go command was smart enough to use the entire address, including the pasted tracking number string (6 vs. 7).

However, I still think the Paste and Go command should be enhanced to recognize when the address bar contains more than just the pasted string. It really should concatenate the original string and the pasted string, regardless of the position of the pasted string, and use the entire contents of the address bar as the URL at the time the Paste and Go command is executed. I haven't tested any of the other search engines to see if they automatically parse tracking numbers, so this might not work if you have a different default search engine assigned.

There are also bound to be other situations similar to the one I described (the tracking number) in which the Paste and Go command could do a better, more complete job than it's currently capable of. I was actually rather surprised that it ignored the rest of the address the first time I tried to do this.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Yeah, I use the Quick Searches all of the time for exactly what you're doing. It sounded as if you were trying to stay away from the keyboard, though. I type ups, fedex, or usp and paste my tracking number.

Personally, I can also see many people actually wanting to overwrite a partially written entry in the address bar or just not wanting to have open a new tab to use Paste & Go

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:04 am

hornakapopolis wrote:Yeah, I use the Quick Searches all of the time for exactly what you're doing. It sounded as if you were trying to stay away from the keyboard, though. I type ups, fedex, or usp and paste my tracking number.
Mike don't you think It's a good suggestion.
hornakapopolis wrote: Personally, I can also see many people actually wanting to overwrite a partially written entry in the address bar or just not wanting to have open a new tab to use Paste & Go
In fact I'm curious with their requirements.
Normally the whole address bar is focused(on blue) by one simple click, if one wants to go to the new address by "paste and go", in most case the whole old url should be replaced by the content from the clipboard. So Mike's request sounds more reasonable.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:31 am

Jasmine wrote:Mike don't you think It's a good suggestion.
I'm using the Google search approach because it's a bit quicker and easier, but using Quick Searches is a good suggestion.

cherry
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2011 alpha 1
IE Version: 9

Re: [Recorded]Improve "Paste and Go" in address bar

Post by cherry » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 am

I used to copying multiple urls from a file and use the [copy and paste] button to open them by a simple click. I believe this function is designed for this usage.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Re: [Recorded]Improve "Paste and Go" in address bar

Post by mbrazil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

cherry wrote:I used to copying multiple urls from a file and use the [copy and paste] button to open them by a simple click. I believe this function is designed for this usage.
I'm sure it is. However, enhancing the Paste and Go algorithms so that it can tell when you're pasting text into an existing address or address fragment wouldn't adversely affect the usage you describe. When you Paste and Go an entire address, you have the previous address already highlighted, so the pasted address replaces it. When you paste a string into an existing address or partial address string, either the existing string is not highlighted or only a portion of it is.