Multi-row fixed-width NON VARIABLE

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Fixed-Width Tabs [not working]

Post by flowrush » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Ok so I reinstalled Windows 7 and downloaded the latest AB 11.8 beta 1 and the Fixed-Width Tab option finally shows up but it doesn't actually work when I checkbox it. Tab's simply resize just as they do without fixed-width. Additionally the old 10.x AB used multi-rows when the # of tab's exceeded the viewable room on the screen. Meaning all tab's were fixed size and I could see them all because they were multi-rowed. Perhaps I need to make that a separate request but I am not sure based on Anderson's [final] plan's to implement fixed-tab width.

Moved to AB Requests. -André

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Re: Fixed-Width Tabs [not working]

Post by Jasmine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 am

Hi,

The fixed tab width works, but only works when the tabs created come to a pre-defined maximum and then the Toggle Tab-Wrap icon appears aside the "+" icon. You can click the icon to expand tabs.

I guess what troubles you is that the tab width is too small to distinguish before the Toggle Tab-Wrap icon appears. Right?
w.JPG
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Indeed this is the issue. In the old 10.x versions of Avant this was never a problem. Below is how I have FireFox setup and then I have multiple tab's with the current pre-release of Avant 11.8. Now tell me honestly Jasmine, if you operated with this many tab's on a daily basis wouldn't you agree that it's much easier to read the tab titles and quickly navigate and easily find the right tab you want to switch to in the FireFox screenshot versus the Avant one?

Additionally as you can see in my 2nd screenshot I use Tabs Mix Plus which allows for me to easily custimze this to have multi-rowed or scrollable, or in Avant's case also dynamic re-sizing.
Attachments
tab options.png
avtab1.png

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:37 am

Basically I was under the impression fixed-width was truly fixed-width not 'until a predefined maximum' because that essentially to me is the same as dynamic re-sizing whilst once tab's reach a certain number. It's not fair when the number of tab's I am working with changes all the time from maybe only a few to several dozen's depending on the project or what I'm researching.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:24 am

flowrush wrote:Basically I was under the impression fixed-width was truly fixed-width not 'until a predefined maximum' because that essentially to me is the same as dynamic re-sizing whilst once tab's reach a certain number. It's not fair when the number of tab's I am working with changes all the time from maybe only a few to several dozen's depending on the project or what I'm researching.
flowrush, so you want the fixed tab width can be customized yourself just like what firefox designed. Right?
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:18 am

Jasmine wrote: flowrush, so you want the fixed tab width can be customized yourself just like what firefox designed. Right?
Actually that's a plugin that you can download that was made by an independent coder. Although you will see that Maxthon Browser 2.5 has these options as a built-in feature as well, where you can have fixed-width, multi-line tab's, and specify the tab-width as well so it isn't a unique design feature of any one browser. At minimum it would be nice to have the original Avant fixed-width option which did not force tab's to get smaller once they reached a threshold that would keep them **** the screen on one line. But yes my ultimate desire is to have the options to have multi-row custom sizable-tab widths.

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:19 am

Dunno why it says guest but the above post is mine.

And here is the link for the plugin I am talking about:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122/

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Multi-row fixed-width NON VARIABLE

Post by flowrush » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Please Jasmine let me know what your thought's are on my last posts of this locked thread. I don't want to be left hanging as to whether a requested feature is not going to be considered because you believe it's copying a feature of FireFox even though it isn't.

http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 18&t=27746

Merged post. -André

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Re: Multi-row fixed-width NON VARIABLE

Post by flowrush » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Jasmine?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm

flowrush wrote:I don't want to be left hanging as to whether a requested feature is not going to be considered because you believe it's copying a feature of FireFox even though it isn't.
That was never said. I'm pretty sure she was just wanting to verify that she was understanding what you were wanting.

In the meantime, we'll all probably just have to keep waiting. This has been requested for quite some time.

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:37 pm

And just the same I had never said that this request was copying a feature that firefox developed so her question isn't really verifying that, but rather assuming it. The way I interepreted her loading the question in that context is that green lighting the implementation into Avant is hinged upon that aspect, and that's why I clarified.
In the meantime, we'll all probably just have to keep waiting. This has been requested for quite some time.
I am plenty aware but this is more than that request. And even though customizeable tab's have been requested for a long time, it's still bothersome that we can't even get back fixed-width back the way it once was. I tried to say that it's broken but apparently fixed-tabs which have a threshold are still considered fixed-tab's, which I believe is a misnomer. In fact it's actually worse to have fixed-tab width on now than to have it off because once you reach the threshold and a new row of tab's start all the new tab's remain the same size the older one's were reduced to, even on multiple rows!!! What sense does that even make?? Also my request is more specifically about having multiple rows and moreso also having custom minimum and maximum thresholds for tab size, and keeping ALL the tab's within those thresholds, or fixed-size.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 pm

flowrush wrote:Dunno why it says guest but the above post is mine.

And here is the link for the plugin I am talking about:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122/
Hey bro i don't see guest anywhere :)

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Me neither, it must've just been temporary.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:39 pm

AXEMAN wrote:
flowrush wrote:Dunno why it says guest but the above post is mine.
Hey bro i don't see guest anywhere :)
flowrush wrote:Me neither, it must've just been temporary.
I changed the poster from guest to flowrush once the details were confirmed.

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jasmine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 am

flowrush wrote:Indeed this is the issue. In the old 10.x versions of Avant this was never a problem. Below is how I have FireFox setup and then I have multiple tab's with the current pre-release of Avant 11.8. Now tell me honestly Jasmine, if you operated with this many tab's on a daily basis wouldn't you agree that it's much easier to read the tab titles and quickly navigate and easily find the right tab you want to switch to in the FireFox screenshot versus the Avant one?

Additionally as you can see in my 2nd screenshot I use Tabs Mix Plus which allows for me to easily custimze this to have multi-rowed or scrollable, or in Avant's case also dynamic re-sizing.

This feature you requested can be implemented in 1-2 months. Anderson is up to improve performance lately. And also a new release for improving performance is upcoming...

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by flowrush » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Thank you Jasmine for your kind reply.

And I am sorry for being bit harsh in my earlier posts. I am all for performance and stability first.

-cheers