Support for IE8

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Build 7
IE Version: 8

Support for IE8

Post by adli89 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi.. I'm currently using Windows 7 Beta (Leaked one of course :P)

I dunno if that is the cause, but in Avant 11.7 Build 21 my gmail looks like this:

While in IE8 and Google Chrome my gmail looks like this:

The orange lines between mails are bugging me >.<

This is really a simple problem but I feel like I have to tell about it to the community :)
P/S: Is it really because of support of IE8?

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43

Re: Support for IE8

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Hello,
I've not tried Win7 yet because I'm quite happy with Vista, But please try to run Avant in the standard mode:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 58&t=22876
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by adli89 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Thx a bunch! Problem solved :D But I request Avant should have support for IE8 when it's released.

Love Avant so much until now.. Been using it for 7 years I think.. :)

P/S: Have a try at Windows 7. It's great :D

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Well, I think when abfan123 says "standard mode", he means the "standard way that Avant/IE has always previously run", which is fine, except that it will start to get really confusing when IE8 is released. :-) That's because it must be differentiated from the official IE8 terminology of "IE7 compliant mode" (the way Avant/IE has always previously run in IE7 and earlier) and "IE8 Standards Mode" (the way IE8 follows W3C internet standards for external websites). I personally think it is really bad to use the word "standard" when referring to IE7 and earlier because it does not follow W3C standardS, and also will _NOT_ be the default when upgrading to IE8 (IE8 Standards Mode [following W3C standardS] is the IE8 default for external websites).

As well, I suggest to definitely try _NOT_ to run Avant in the previous/IE7 mode, but rather to run it in IE8 mode as much as possible. Then you will see which websites work according to W3C standards and which do not, and as users, we can notify the website admins of non-compliant websites to fix their websites to be W3C compliant.

Of course, that is why IE7-mode is still available in IE8. Until broken/non-compliant websites are fixed, or if problems are encountered in daily use (eg. your GMail problem in Windows 7) then you can switch to IE7 as a workaround (and notify the problem website admins). But IE7-mode is definitely the workaround mode, and you should switch back to IE8 mode when you are finished with the problem website.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 pm

In fact, I've talked about the standards mode.
By default, All the Trident based applications except IE will run in the compatibility mode. A registry editing is needed in order to run Avant in the standards mode.
Main PC:

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:11 am

If that's the case, I suggest that future Avant builds should test for the version of IE already installed when installing or upgrading Avant. If the computer has IE8, then I suggest this registry setting should automatically be set to run in IE8 Standards Mode. Or perhaps display a prompt when Avant is next run to prompt the user which mode to set Avant for (and I suggest IE8 Standards Mode as the default for the prompt, of course! :-) ).

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by adli89 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:21 am

bksening wrote:If that's the case, I suggest that future Avant builds should test for the version of IE already installed when installing or upgrading Avant. If the computer has IE8, then I suggest this registry setting should automatically be set to run in IE8 Standards Mode. Or perhaps display a prompt when Avant is next run to prompt the user which mode to set Avant for (and I suggest IE8 Standards Mode as the default for the prompt, of course! :-) ).
I second this :thumbup: Would really like to see my favorite browser improve by time :)

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:04 am

The way Gmail looks in Windows 7 is because of changes Microsoft did in builds of IE8 after beta 2. The newest build is called the partner build and its more or less a pre-RC build. You can get this build and Gmail will look the same way it does in Windows 7. The problem with the dark lines in gmail do get fixed when you switch to IE8 Standards mode, BUT, Gmail themes also break when you do so. Google and MS are aware of this problem and hopefully they will get it fixed when the official RC comes out or at least by the time it goes final. That is why I tend to stay in Compatibility mode so that my gmail theme works.

As for Avant interacting between the Compatibility mode and the Standards mode. There is an plugin that has been around since IE8 first came out that will allow you to press a button and it will do the switch in the registry and Avant will then stay in Standards mode until you press that button again to switch it back to Compatibility mode.
-- Matt --

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:48 pm

I'd just keep Avant in the standards mode and use the compatibility view list in IE to add websites that are not working well in the standard mode. It's possible to create a button for Avant to add website into this list from Avant, But I've got no time to create this yet.
Main PC:

adli89
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan

Post by adli89 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:49 pm

As for Avant interacting between the Compatibility mode and the Standards mode. There is an plugin that has been around since IE8 first came out that will allow you to press a button and it will do the switch in the registry and Avant will then stay in Standards mode until you press that button again to switch it back to Compatibility mode.
Is it the addon that abfan123 posted earlier?

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Post by statm1 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 pm

The IE version switcher mod yea..
-- Matt --