Ad Blocker

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

LarryE1946
Windows Version: Vista Home Premium
Avant Version: 11.5 build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Ad Blocker

Post by LarryE1946 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:42 am

I've been using AB for only a few days now and have made it my default browser. I have one suggestion and that is to improve the ad blocker. I had been using Maxthon 2.0 and the Ad Blocker they use is really efficient. For example at MSN groups, there are NO ads at all, but with AB, sometimes they are blocked, sometimes not. I am attaching two screenshots of the same site using both browsers so you can see what I mean. If I'm missing some setting in Ad Blocker in Avant, please let me know.

Thanks,
Attachments
Maxthon.jpg
This is what Maxthon does with ads
Avant.jpg
and this is Avant
Vista Home Premium
Core2Duo
2GB RDRAM

Wr2r
Avant Version: 11.5 Build 20

Re: Ad Blocker

Post by Wr2r » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:06 pm

oh just let it be..

i have always been asking them to block some flash or ads that are not end with a file extention,
but they will tell u to purchase other ad blockers

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Post by darth » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:07 pm

i tried to reproduce the results you had; using avant. however, could not do so. ads come, ads go. i use hosts files along with edexter (tiny http server (local) to block third party ad servers. as an example the following were blocked at this site; 'popup.msn.com.', 'global.msads.com.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

Greece
Windows Version: xp
Avant Version: 11.5
IE Version: 6.0

Post by Greece » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 am

I use adblock pro, an ad-blocker add-on for ie, but also can works decently on AB.

LarryE1946

Post by LarryE1946 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies. I guess the answer is either I live with it or get a standalone ad-blocker. Had I known this was the attitude, I would never have donated money to Avant Browser. And I didn't even get a thank you. Oh well, live and learn.
Vista Home Premium
Core2Duo
2GB RDRAM

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:23 pm

LarryE1946 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I guess the answer is either I live with it or get a standalone ad-blocker.
For now, yeah. Avant has only 1 developer, you can't expect every request fulfilled over night. Maybe it'll be improved one day, it takes time.
Had I known this was the attitude, I would never have donated money to Avant Browser. And I didn't even get a thank you. Oh well, live and learn.
Isn't a free browser, server space, and support forum thanks enough? To me, donations should be your thank you to the developer.

LarryE1946

Post by LarryE1946 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:25 pm

It WAS my thank you to the developer, but the "developer" doesn't even take the time to respond to the requests and it's not my fault he's the only one working on the browser. Your answer "For now, yeah. Avant has only 1 developer, you can't expect every request fulfilled over night." Maybe it'll be improved one day, it takes time." was the only one that did offer a glimmer of hope. And I never asked for any improvements "overnight". I just asked if it could be "improved" as I'm still seeing lots of ads. If there is an "Avant Browser Requests" board, you would think the person who is responsible for looking at it would take a second to respond. That's all I'm asking. No response from developers means they really don't care and if they really don't care, why would anyone use Avant Browser. It's good and I like it, but it can be better and making suggestions and getting a response from developers is one giant step towards getting a faithful following and more people donating.

Have a great day.
Vista Home Premium
Core2Duo
2GB RDRAM

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:07 pm

I don't mean this to sound rude, but it's hard to convey tone, of course. This is another one of those circumstances where you have gone somewhere and based everything on an assumption.

Anderson does not run this forum, nor it was "officially" started by him. The responses that bothered weren't from him, and the response that "gave you hope" wasn't from him, either. The staff here are volunteers and users of the browser, not developers, not the programmers, and not in contact with Anderson.

It has been brought up that Anderson allowing this apparent seamlessness between the forum to the browser (or vice versa depending on how you look at it) might actually harm things rather than help them, and this might be another small example of that. However, I think it was his way of showing appreciation to the staff here for helping out.

And personally, I feel that donation is a donation, not a payment for a feeling of entitlement.

There are many "improve the ad blocker" threads heres as it is and I don't see this thread adding anything else useful to the discussion, so let's lock this before things go downhill.

hornakapopolis