Make System Buttons movable

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mekd
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Make system buttons movable

Post by mekd » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:10 am

I for one don't use 11.5 just because of the unmovable buttons. So, waiting for a new big release means staying for more time with v. 11 built 46 which has its flaws (CPU usage).
If there would be a prediction when this issue is going to be solved it would be great.

Let me just say that I DO appreciate Anderson's efforts. The man is working to release FREE browser and we all complain. But, each one of us has to make his own decision and gratitude is just one of the considerations. If the program is too awkward or unfriendly then, alas, many of us will migrate.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 am

Oh, that's what he dosent want to face.

He's so busy to develop better Avant. Maybe he should list the function planned to include into Avant, so you can choose what should not be done ahead of time.

piercet
Windows Version: 7 Ultimate x64 W/ SP1
Avant Version: latest build.
IE Version: 9

Post by piercet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:10 am

It has been weeks now. Why isn't this fixed?

Can someone direct me to the last version that didn't have the buttons in the absolute worst possible place in the history of internet browsers please?

ElimGarak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46 SR3
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Post by ElimGarak » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:38 am

I don't know where it is, but there's no need to be so harsh. I don't really think it's the right way to ask for informations. Use the "search" function, anyway.

Everyone here is trying to ask for something politely, not to start flames.
Last edited by ElimGarak on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:24 pm

Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Jasmine wrote:He's so busy to develop better Avant. Maybe he should list the function planned to include into Avant, so you can choose what should not be done ahead of time.
Yes! Thats a great idea. Especially if he has major changes planned that may effect preexisting features.

Evander
Avant Version:

Post by Evander » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:27 pm

Hey, I just registered for the purpose of adding my voice to this thread.

I've been enjoying Avantfor a while now, not as long as some of you, I'm sure, but I've been around since the icon was red, instead of blue.

The main reason that I chose Avant over Firefox, way back when, was so that I could keep my tabs on the bottom. Until IE7, all Windows programs with tabs kept the on the bottom (to be fair, OneNote came beforeIE7, and has top tabs too, but it fits what the program is) Even the start bar is defaulted to the bottom. On top of that, as a taller individual, putting tabs on top pushes screen content further down, keeping it further away from my eyes.

I tend to useAvant in compact mode, there days, so as to get even more screen realestate without giveing up the toolbars entirely. I am used to having my buttons for the individual tabs/findows right next to my buttons for the program as a whole, and I prefer to have them there. I hate how, when using IE7, I'm stuck going with their layout, and when using Firefox, I can't see to change anything without downloading five different plug-ins.

I would really appreciatethe ability to have my system buttons back up top again. Every time I want to close a tab I instinctively move my cursor up, before frowning andmoving it back down. I amvery fond of Avant, and like to keep up on the latest versions. 11.5 definitely seems to be running smoother than 11.0 did, but with the system buttons stuck on the tabs bar, I am not sure whether I'll keep using Avant, as opposed to going with Firefox and the million plug-ins it would take to give it the functionality of Avant.

I'd really rather not have to download a million plug-ins. That's the reason I've always used Avant to begin with. I know that the browser is free, and I really appreciate that, but I think from the widespread complaints about this it is an issue that really ought to be addressed.

Thanks.

Evander
Avant Version:

Post by Evander » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:34 pm

Jasmine wrote:Hi, here,

Anderson knows your ideas.
Make system buttons moveable is possible. But there would be a big change on skinmaker or somewhere else accordingly. So he would like do that later when he plans to release a brand-new Avant just like 11.5

Could you understand that?
That makes sense. If it is definitely in the pipeline for a later revision, I guess I could be content picking an earlier version until then.

I am just wondering if there is any sort of timeline as to when the next big revision might be coming out. I understand it's probably hard to plan those things until they are getting close, but if anything IS planning it would be nice to know.

Thanks.

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Evander, I too hope the System buttons will be movable. I don't actually use them now so I've removed them all and I'm just left with a tiny downward pointing arrow which doesn't take up much space.
To close a tab I either use middle-click or more often I use a mouse gesture (right-click and move to the right) which is very easy to use and quick.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)

Post by Sara » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:51 pm

No timeline, although he seems to be on a roll....

Sara :D

bradco
Avant Version:

Post by bradco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:23 am

Please add my vote to moving system buttons back to top right. Also, Big C had a link to an "add on" work around for closing tabs, top right. Please advise the non-techy on how to activate this work around. Thx.
Bradco

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:31 am

Yeah, I must say (after trying the new 11.5 build 12 button arrangement out for a decent period of a couple of weeks) that I also find the buttons in the bottom right corner rather "unusual" and I tend to click one or other of them occasionally when I actually meant to click the rightmost tab on the bottom tab row.

I can understand that some people like the buttons in this new position, and others (like me) find them more naturally placed in the top right corner.

Our Mr. Anderson has done an outstanding job in making AB extremely configurable -- unlike IE7, which is a miserable failure in terms of configurability. So it was a little surprising to find that these buttons cannot be moved in the current release. Therefore I now cast my vote also to allow these buttons to be placed back to the top right of the AB window (or maybe allow the buttons to be placed in either/any position, thus keeping people in both camps happy).

POSTSCRIPT:
Here's my "squeaky wheel" request for something else that I've requested elsewhere, but the more often I mention it perhaps the more likely it may be implemented! ... One little enhancement that I really, really want is a new context item for Tab Buttons so that (with a SINGLE click) a copy of the current tab to be opened in a new Avant Browser instance. There's already a "Duplicate" context item, which opens a copy of the current tab in a new window in the current AB instance, so all I'm asking for is "Duplicate in New Avant Browser" context item menu for tabs. ... My apologies for being so cheeky!
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:41 pm

bradco wrote:Please add my vote to moving system buttons back to top right. Also, Big C had a link to an "add on" work around for closing tabs, top right. Please advise the non-techy on how to activate this work around. Thx.
Did you install it? After that go to View > Toolbars and select Add-on Buttons. Then you should see the button on the toolbar.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 pm

bigC wrote:
bradco wrote:Please add my vote to moving system buttons back to top right. Also, Big C had a link to an "add on" work around for closing tabs, top right. Please advise the non-techy on how to activate this work around. Thx.
Did you install it? After that go to View > Toolbars and select Add-on Buttons. Then you should see the button on the toolbar.
Hello bradco! I'm quite familiar with add-ons (and have even pointed out a useful new one, see http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... om+iconico for example).

However I just had a look for an add-on you mention that relates to "closing tabs, top right" but cannot find any such thing. Did I overlook something? Can you provide a link or explain where to get this add-on? :?:
Tony Austin

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by bigC » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:11 pm

notestracker wrote:However I just had a look for an add-on you mention that relates to "closing tabs, top right" but cannot find any such thing. Did I overlook something? Can you provide a link or explain where to get this add-on? :?:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 401#122401

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Ah, user interface design: so very tricky! You think that you've made a great improvement but instead find that your change has upset your users, perhaps many of them.

I also agree with others. Make this group of buttons movable and (a) not part of the Windows Tabs bar and (b) movable to the top again, if that's what you're used to and wish to revert to.

As another person who selects "Windows Tabs on Bottom" I too find it rather disconcerting for this group of buttons to be now built into the Tabs bar and thereby move with the bar to be at bottom rather than the traditional location near top right. (One possible exception is to keep just the the close button "X" in the Tabs bar, which some people might like to keep with the Tabs bar in order to have an additional way to close the Current Tab's window -- but I'd still prefer the whole group of these buttons to be movable to the top.)

PLAYING "MUSICAL CHAIRS" WITH TABS?
Another thing which cropped up in this (or a recent) build and a few people have pointed out is the way that the Tabs sometimes rearrange themselves unexpectedly when you open a new Tab Window, becoming narrower to fit in the current number of rows or else starting off a new row with a different Tab width. I suspect the reason for this new behavior is to conserve the number of open Tab rows, which is perhaps a useful objective, but it can be rather unnerving / unsettling! I'd rather have the option (as in one of the Firefox Tab extensions) to specify a fixed minimum Tab width, so that you can depend on the position of a given Tab that you wish to switch back to, knowing that it's still in the same place in one of the rows (and hasn't been juggled so that it's somewhere else in the same row or a different row). Does that make sense?
Tony Austin

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by notestracker » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:22 pm

bigC wrote:
notestracker wrote:However I just had a look for an add-on you mention that relates to "closing tabs, top right" but cannot find any such thing. Did I overlook something? Can you provide a link or explain where to get this add-on? :?:
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 401#122401
Thanks bigC, this red "Close Current Tab" button is handy to have near the top right!
Tony Austin

Gary Townshend
Avant Version:

Post by Gary Townshend » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Having had some other problems with the system buttons not even installing properly in version 11.5, I too will add my voice to restoring them to the way they have been in previous versions.

jakebe
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by jakebe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:52 pm

I will add my two cents worth and vote for making the close buttons either moveable or putting them back at the top where they use to be. I tried moving my tabs to the top so the close button would move along with them but that was even worse. I kept going to the bottom of the screen looking for my tabs and couldn't get use to them being at the top just like I can't get use to the close button being at the bottom.

kurai
Avant Version:

Post by kurai » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:09 am

This is one request I must add my support to.

Most of Anderson's design choices I can live with (in fact, I *love* most of them) or he has provided the facility to customise/change them to my own needs.
This one I just cannot work with.

I always have my tab bar at the bottom (it's the primary reason I started using AB back in the misty depths of time), and having the system buttons down there as well is just unusable for me.

I'm not going to do anything drastic like stop using Avant, I love 95% of it's functionality way too much to be bloody minded about this,but I'll be reverting to an older build and I won't be installing a newer release until the old system button placement options are available again.

Regardless of whatever fantastic features and options Anderson makes available in later releases this issue is a flat out deal-breaker for me. Sorry :cry: