Make System Buttons movable

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:35 pm

I add my vote to disliking where the window control buttons have been placed. The way I had 11.0 set up, these buttons were next to the Standard Buttons. With the tabs at the bottom (the way I like them), it gave me a "Close Window" button at the top and bottom of the screen.

And I'm also not fond of the fact these are stealing Window Tab property.

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

Re: Make system buttons movable

Post by Arandora » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 pm

In my case familiarity now breeds CONTENT. Now that I'm used to the repositioning it no longer irks me and since I work more on opening and closing tabs and using their context menu positioned at the bottom of the screen, they're more useful down bottm too.
However, Im like the suggestion of them being flaoting to match user preference. Once upon a time I recall users actually having preference (not just for AB!).
Having said that, there are so many features of AB which are user definable and so many I'm not even aware of until someone makes a post, it's a bit churlish to make this one such an issue. :)

Ztarr
Avant Version:

Post by Ztarr » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I keep all my window tabs at the bottom and I like them there. I don't like having the close button down there though, I keep going to the upper right to close the window I have open and it's not there!!!

AHHHH!

I'm going to install the old version until a newer version comes up with this fixed. :(

tsn81
Windows Version: Win XP Pro
Avant Version: 11.0 Build 46-zoom
IE Version: IE7

Post by tsn81 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:24 pm

Arandora wrote:In my case familiarity now breeds CONTENT. Now that I'm used to the repositioning it no longer irks me and since I work more on opening and closing tabs and using their context menu positioned at the bottom of the screen, they're more useful down bottm too.
Yeah, I'm sure that I would get used on it too if I used it for a while, but because zoom-feature, which is pretty much the only reason I prefer Avant, got changed so drastically I wont even bother trying.

ElimGarak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46 SR3
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Post by ElimGarak » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:46 am

Unfortunately, seems like our voices are not heard. I'm afraid that in the end this will be another useless request like the groups one.
I can't really say I like this attitude, but what can I do?

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:01 am

I sent this thread to Anderson via Jasmine, who seems to be working with him. her answer was:
Hi,

I pass your words to him. He says he will try but cannot sure.
So don't give up hope.

Sara

johnsmithbisley
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
Avant Version: Firefox now.
IE Version: IE9

Post by johnsmithbisley » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:02 am

We all belong to the Avant tribe but clearly we are each individual. Let us keep using the latest version of Avant Browser but enjoy our individuality by having as much ability to customise as we can.

It seems logical to me that each set or group of buttons should be on a separate toolbar so that we have the choice to use them or not, and place them where we wish. I use just a few of the many buttons available - thanks for the choice, though - and therefore shrink my toolbars. This should enable me to combine one, two or even three toolbars on the same line, for space saving and appearance.

And I want all my control buttons up top where control buttons should be (according to me) and my tabs at the bottom for better visual balance (according to me). Only Microsoft have the right to dictate exactly how we should use the software supplied to us.
John Smith

Arandora
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Win 8.1 64 PC/Win 8. 64 laptop
Avant Version: Both AB Lite 2016 v2
Default engine: IE11 Standards
IE Version: IE 11 on PC and laptop
Skin: Aluminium

Post by Arandora » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:32 am

Que? :(

robegusn
Avant Version:

Post by robegusn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 am

The newest version - 11.5 - just didn't work for me. I have used Avant for at least 4 years and it simply is one of the best IE overlay browsers out there.

However, v11.5 just didn't look or feel like the Avant I was used too. There were just too many changes and things I didn't like.

The one thing that I noticed was that my preference of having the tabs at the bottom was supported, but the control buttons for the tabs (close, restore, maximize, minimize, etc.) also moved to the bottom. This is quite different than in version 11. In v11 build 46, my tabs are at the bottom, but the controls for the tabs are in the intuitive upper right corner.

Robert

jesus-freak
Avant Version:

Post by jesus-freak » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:44 am

Hi there!

Just another vote for the system buttons to become movable again.

I am used to having the tabs at the bottom and the system buttons on top right, too!

I really get used to do it so for years - but now it is just different...
WHY ????

Nevertheless: Great browser!

Bob Loblaw
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by Bob Loblaw » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:53 am

ElimGarak wrote:I REALLY hate the new position of this buttons. Keep trying to close tabs in upper right corner (I show open tabs at the bottom) and everytime I risk to close whole Avant instead.

Now they steal room for my tabs and are too little. Moreover, with tabs at the bottom, the right bottom corner is "stuffed" with icons.

PLEASE, give us the choice to put them where we want. Don't make this a second "groups" thread.
Ditto. Plus the new odd behavior of the tabs when opening & closing additional tabs is disturbing.

impulse666
Avant Version:

Post by impulse666 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:44 am

please! return movable close buttons! :cry:

robbc
Avant Version:

Post by robbc » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Ditto on making them movable.

neogator
Avant Version:

Post by neogator » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:10 pm

in the latest build, where are the minimize, restore, & close buttons when in full screen or full desktop mode?

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

Post by Merel » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:31 pm

At each new release I have a new disappointment. This latest release is still recent and already I notice this topic ... three pages !

- The previous version raised a the problem of the "Groups" hiding behind an additional mouse-click. Altough there is a a very strong opposition , this latest version still does not offer a come-back to the Groups in Main Menu

- This version seems to create disatisfaction again.
A new serious problem rises in the layout.

I understand that it is difficult to keep everybody happy.
But ... "never change (too much) a winning team".

NOT ONLY the screen layout is subject to very personal preferences, but every option is.
For this reason ALL settings and features should be flexible as possible and above all remain available as an option .

I join the club an I just hate systems buttons being imposed at this location. Besides, at each new version we have some homework to do on options and settings. I'm getting fed-up with all this and become less and less enthousiastic with AB. Futhermore, with all due respect, it appears that sugestions made at this forum have very little impact on Anderson's attention. :cry:

All of this here above is confirmed already by other users in this topic, but it feels good to let steam off, especially now. ](*,)
Last edited by Merel on Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:17 pm

I feel the same way. What I really don't understand (and would love to know) is why the Groups and System Buttons were changed in the first place. I mean it's not as if there was an overwhelming request for the changes to be made.
Avant is still my browser of choice and on Tuesday will have been using it for 4 years exactly. :lol:

bladedone
Avant Version:

Post by bladedone » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:32 pm

4 builds later and no change on the system buttons? i agree. we are not being heard. i guess it's time to move on then. i have really enjoyed avant over the years. i hate to say it but... good bye.

ElimGarak
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP Pro SP3
Avant Version: 11.7 build 46 SR3
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18702

Post by ElimGarak » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:49 pm

I'll wait a couple of builds more. But if AndersonChe is developing a browser for himself, not caring about users' needs and wishes... well, I'm afraid eventually he'll be the only one using it.
I wouldn't want to leave Avant, because I really liked and used it for 3 or 4 years, but... I just don't like when the voice of a lot of people is unheard and most of all I really dislike the lack of communication between developer and users.

So sorry... I'm not angry, just very sad. As I wrote, I'll wait a couple of builds more to see if system buttons issue is fixed (Yes, I lost every hope about groups but it doesn't mean I got used to the lack of them), else I'll just be another one leaving.

:-(

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

Post by Merel » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:17 pm

ElimGarak wrote:But if AndersonChe is developing a browser for himself, not caring about users' needs and wishes... well, I'm afraid eventually he'll be the only one using it. I wouldn't want to leave Avant, because I really liked and used it for 3 or 4 years, but... I just don't like when the voice of a lot of people is unheard and most of all I really dislike the lack of communication between developer and users.

So sorry... I'm not angry, just very sad.... I'll just be another one leaving. :-(
Dear ElimGarak I think you are writing what a lot of users are thinking too, just as myself.
It is very sad indeed, because Mr. Anderson gave all his time and efforts to work on improving AB. Sometimes an "improvement" is a step backward. In all due respect, if no attention is given to reasonable feedback, there is nothing else we can do as to look elsewhere to find a product we can organize to individual personal taste. :cry:

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:13 am

Hi, here,

Anderson knows your ideas.
Make system buttons moveable is possible. But there would be a big change on skinmaker or somewhere else accordingly. So he would like do that later when he plans to release a brand-new Avant just like 11.5

Could you understand that?