My Avant Browser Suggestions

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

tvfollower
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by tvfollower » Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:26 am

Edit: I put the pictures up on a different host, since Geocities was messing everything up.

Hello, I am a great fan of Avant Browser.  It is simple, stable, and it does its job.  I do, however, have a bunch of suggestions (mainly visual) to make this browser the best there is:

1. AIM Bug: When one docks AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) at the side of the screen (see Figure 1), the Image bar is shifted to the left, just like all the other buttons and such.  Seems fine, doesn't it?  When, however, one closes/minimizes AIM (see Figure 2), look what happens: all the other buttons shift back to the right except for the Image bar!  I know that adding a toolbar locking feature has been suggested, but I don't know if that would fix this problem.

Figure 1:

Figure 2:

2. Office XP Menus need to be imitated correctly: If you are going to use the office XP menu style (see Figure 3), then at least make it an exact imitation.  To do something, you should do it right, or else you don't do it at all.  In fact, I don't see why you have to go through all the trouble with Office XP menus, when regular menus would be so much easier to implement.  Even Internet Explorer uses regular menus!  If you really need them, perhaps you could implement an option where the user chooses between regular menus and Office XP-style menus.  Anyway, here are the faults I found with the Office XP-style menu system:

-Menu Effects: Office XP uses a fade effect, not a scroll-down effect, when a menu is selected.

-Spacing: The grouping bar (see Figure 4) is very thick, and causes too much spacing inside the menus.

-Menu Selection: This is hard to explain, but the far left of the Office XP menu differs from that of Avant Browser (see Figure 5).

-Overall Menu Thickness: Each segment of the menu is thicker, overall, than the Office XP menu.  For example, compare the "File" area on both (see Figure 5 once again),

-Menu Color: This is minor, and really doesn't need to be adjusted (see Figure 6).

-Lines: Office XP uses no lines to separate its menu segments (the long rows, that is), while Avant Browser uses huge lines that both take up a lot of space and make it look somewhat ugly.  I suggest modeling the vertical separators after the invisible ones of Office XP.

Figure 3:

Figure 4:

Figure 5:

Figure 6:

3. Typo!: Can you spot the grammatical error here, in the "Clear Records" section of "Avant Browser Options" (Image)?

4. Link Icons: Notice a difference, here (see Figure 7)?

Figure 7:

5. Windows XP Styles: Perhaps the tabs should use the chosen Windows XP visual style (and if one is using another OS, then the default style for that OS).  I don't know how this would be implemented, however, but it would look nice (I think).

6. Buttons: Currently one cannot choose large forward/back/refresh buttons like there are in IE.  I suggest adding this option.  Also, I suggest adding an option to make the icons match those in IE, because currently there are completely different (just compare the stop, go, and back buttons to those in IE, for example).

7. Gradient: In Windows XP, at least, Internet Explorer uses a gradient in its menu (see Figure 8).  It would be very nice if Avant Browser had that option.

Figure 8:

8. Ctrl-Tab: Ctrl-tab, by default, should go back to the last seen tab, instead of always going left to right.  Perhaps a menu similar to that of Windows' "Alt-Tab" can be implemented.

Overall, this is a wonderful browser, and I am enjoying it greatly.  I'm simply a picky person; don't assume that because I have so many complaints, I don't like the browser.

Keep up the good work!
Avant Browser is my mommy.

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Re: My Avant Browser Suggestions

Post by batigolaso » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:19 am

your pictures don't work unfortunately. as for ctrl-tab, try shift-tab ;)
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

tvfollower
Avant Version:

Post by tvfollower » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:52 am

Erm...I tried Shift-Tab.  It doesn't do anything... ???

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:17 am

shift tab works as a reverse tab in avant. not sure why it doesn't work for you. click on the search bar, press it, and it should go backwards to the address bar. etc... i'll take a look at the rest of your pictures and such when i have time.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

tvfollower
Avant Version:

Post by tvfollower » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:40 am

Time is a wonderful thing.  I know you have it!

[reality]OMG RESPOND ALREADY YOU *****![/reality]

Lol, notice the [reality] tags, I didn't mean that to be offensive.

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:49 am

actually tvfollower: i don't have time. I"m a college student. What's more: i'm a pre-med college student about to take the mcat tomorrow. The test comprises of knowledge on organic chemistry, physics, biology, and general chemistry. ALl of which I have ot learn. It is an all day test, and it will decide whether or not I get into medical school. So. I will get to your not so important post when I have time (this wasn't meant to be offensive either, just more informative).

kjnangre
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by kjnangre » Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:12 am

hehe, God wants to be a doctor. Isn't that ironic

Good luck Bati  :)

tvfollower
Avant Version:

Post by tvfollower » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:37 am

How can you so blatantly state that your career is more important than my Avant Browser requests?  What kind of a moderator are you?!

If you don't get into medical school, you can always be a nurse...right?

Haha, good luck, even though I don't know you.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:08 pm

Bati--

Hopefully by the time you read this the MCats will be over--just know alot of people here are saying a prayer, wishing you luck, etc.

Now that they are over go do something that makes you feel great!!!

Sara :)

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:25 am

Bati--

Hopefully by the time you read this the MCats will be over--just know alot of people here are saying a prayer, wishing you luck, etc.

Now that they are over go do something that makes you feel great!!!

Sara :)
And a BIG Amen to that..........hope the MCats went well..

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around