[Suggestion] "Hand" tool for scrolling web pages

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

nano
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

[Suggestion] "Hand" tool for scrolling web pages

Post by nano » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:22 am

I like the little "hand tool" which I could use to scroll a PDF document in Adobe Acrobat Reader. I think Avant could adopt it as a tool for easy scrolling of web pages. This hand tool in Avant could be activated by pressing "ctrl+h" (or another more suitable keyboard shortcut). Once it is activated, your cursor becomes a little "hand". When you hold down the left mouse button, the "hand" "grabs" the web page and allows you to scroll the web page by moving your mouse.

The advantages of using this little "hand" tool are:

1. You could not only scroll up, down, left or right, but also in 45 degree angles.

2. It is easy to control the speed of scrolling.

3. You could stop right at a particular spot. Whereas the scroll wheel on your mouse would always give you a little "inertia".

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:03 am

I hate the hand in pdf files.........

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:38 am

I dislike it too. It is counter-productive for people with scroll wheels to use, I think.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:03 am

What exactly is the difference between this and clicking the middle button to scroll now? I don't understand.

nano
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by nano » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:09 pm

hornakapopolis wrote:What exactly is the difference between this and clicking the middle button to scroll now? I don't understand.
The advantages of using this little "hand" tool over middle button scrolling are:

1. You could not only scroll up, down, left or right, but also in 45 degree angles.

2. It is easy to control the speed of scrolling.

3. You could stop right at a particular spot. Whereas the middle button scrolling would always give you a little "inertia".

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:12 pm

1. You can scroll at angles using the middle button. Unlike Acrobat, most web pages format themselves to fit your screen. Zoom in 400% and try it.

2. The speed of the scroll depends on how you move the mouse, correct? The middle click scroll is the same way.

3. Clicking the middle button will immediately stop you.

Deek
Avant Version:

Post by Deek » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:05 pm

With the 'hand' scroll, you basically drag the page around your screen. With the middle-click scroll, when you want to stop scrolling you can't just let go of the mouse - you have to centre the pointer back over the little icon that you made when you middle-clicked. The 'hand' would be much easier to use accurately.
The 'hand' option would indeed be rather convenient in many cases, but there must be an obvious and easy way to turn it off in case somebody uses the shortcut by accident.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:09 pm

Maybe, for some reason, mine is the only one that works like this, but for mine, all you have to click the middle button again to stop.

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by robc » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:33 pm

You're not alone, Horn :wink: my middle button works exactly like yours: it's just possible that Deek's driver doesn't provide all the standard functions or simply he's more accustomed to the "drag" philosophy than to the "middle-button-scroll" one...
Image formerly known as Image

nano
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by nano » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:22 am

hornakapopolis wrote:1. You can scroll at angles using the middle button. Unlike Acrobat, most web pages format themselves to fit your screen. Zoom in 400% and try it.

2. The speed of the scroll depends on how you move the mouse, correct? The middle click scroll is the same way.

3. Clicking the middle button will immediately stop you.
Yeah, you are right. I have never zoomed web pages to 400% before, so I didn't know I could scroll at 45 degree angles with my middle button. Anyway, I am not saying that the "hand" tool is better than middle button or any other way of scrolling. I think this is just another alternative way for users to choose. Right? A good browser always gives the user many ways to accomplish the same task. That's why we are able to access "favorites" from the menu bar, the tool bar and even the side bar. When MS added sidebar to IE, a lot people said it was a stupid idea because it was unnecessary since they could already access favorites from the menu. But today many users prefer the sidebar over the other ways. It is all about suiting different personal preferences. Some people might prefer the hand tool after they get used to it. This tool will help distinguish Avant from all the other browsers.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:53 am

And others would prefer a simpler browser. One that is not filled with many options and features.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:38 am

The thing I still don't understand is what we're looking for here.

The function itself is there. We just want it to look like a hand that squeezes the page? Or, we want a button on the toolbar to replace the mouse that already has the button... and we have to move the mouse (with the button) to get to the button on the toolbar.

Stuff like this usually isn't added to the Request List because it just seems to be an aesthetic change. That's what caused my initial question.

nano
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by nano » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:46 am

SweetLou wrote:And others would prefer a simpler browser. One that is not filled with many options and features.
Then Avant browser is not for those people. They could all go back to using IE 1.0, which has the minimum number of features among all browsers. The definition of Avant is that it is a feature-rich and versatile IE front end.

SweetLou
Avant Guru
Avant Guru
Avant Version:

Post by SweetLou » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:59 am

nano wrote: The definition of Avant is that it is a feature-rich and versatile IE front end.
And where did you find this defintion? The only thing I could find is
Avant Browser Website wrote:Avant Browser, an upgrade to Internet Explorer. Avant Browser is a fast, stable, user-friendly, versatile multi-window browser.
I guess you could infer that this means "feature-rich". But, to me it just means that it is an upgrade to IE with some added features.
nano wrote:Then Avant browser is not for those people. They could all go back to using IE 1.0, which has the minimum number of features among all browsers.
So, you are saying I should stop using Avant Browser and go back to IE? And a very insecure IE? I don't even know where to get IE 1.0. I like Avant very much, but I don't want a bloated browser. If I wanted that, I would use Maxthon.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper. -Benjamin Franklin
Where's the dancing and singing monkey?

nano
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by nano » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:58 am

SweetLou wrote:
nano wrote: The definition of Avant is that it is a feature-rich and versatile IE front end.
And where did you find this defintion? The only thing I could find is
Avant Browser Website wrote:Avant Browser, an upgrade to Internet Explorer. Avant Browser is a fast, stable, user-friendly, versatile multi-window browser.
I guess you could infer that this means "feature-rich". But, to me it just means that it is an upgrade to IE with some added features.
nano wrote:Then Avant browser is not for those people. They could all go back to using IE 1.0, which has the minimum number of features among all browsers.
So, you are saying I should stop using Avant Browser and go back to IE? And a very insecure IE? I don't even know where to get IE 1.0. I like Avant very much, but I don't want a bloated browser. If I wanted that, I would use Maxthon.
I don't think any people in this forum will agree that Avant is not feature-rich. And by the way, the word "versatile" is in the definition of Avant Browser and it means "having many skills". What does "having many skills" mean to you? Of course "Skills" doesn't mean acrobatic dancing in the case of Avant, it rather means a lot of features such as tabbed-browsing, search bar and URL aliases that IE doesn't have, which distinguish it from a "simpler browser, one that is not filled with many options and features". OK? Avant is not "simple"! We all know that!

robc
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate SP1
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by robc » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:25 pm

nano, what we are trying to say is that many Avant users (most?) prefer a browser shell that's stable and has some *needed* improvements, over a "bloated" browser that can be "extended to death" :wink: with toolbars for this and that, plugins, out-of-the-box features and a zillion (!!!) different ways to do the same thing (if you have a look at the forums you'll notice that in many instances, at the end the decision has been made NOT to include several suggestions for this simple reason). What I believe Avant is liked for are mainly the tabbed browsing, the mouse gestures, the url aliasing, and of course the ad and popup blockers; the rest are small improvements that manage not to get it bloated.

In this respect, while your idea may be interesting in principle, it's definitely too similar to what is already available to really be significant to include in the requests, I'm afraid.
Image formerly known as Image

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:12 pm

Personally, I don't see how this is anything other than a visual change.

TimSkin
Avant Version:

Post by TimSkin » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:08 pm

Actually, since Avant Browser 10.1, there is already a new toolbar button for this (the Scroll button).
You can enable it by going to View, Customize buttons, and check the Scroll option.
It's not fully the same as what you want, but you can start and stop autoscrolling the web page by clicking the button. And you can set the scrolling speed to Slow, Medium and Fast with the arrow. :D
It just can't scroll horizontally, only downwards the page.
Windows XP Pro SP2 and Norton AntiVirus 2005 (Dutch)
ZoneAlarm Pro 6 (English)
Avant Browser version 10.1 latest final build